* Passing macro parameters to lua
@ 2013-08-05 20:53 Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2013-08-05 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, good people--

I've encountered what appears to be a bug in either the TeX->Lua
interface or the documentation thereof (I have the latest stable
ConTeXt standalone from contextgarden.net).

I'm trying to create a macro that will insert different text depending
on whether one of the arguments is empty or not. My initial test
implementation (following the wiki section entitled "Passing arguments
and buffers: ConTeXt commands that hook into Lua") looked like this:

\startluacode
    userdata = userdata or {}

    function userdata.empty_or_not(str)
        if str == "" or str == nil then
            context("{\\sc Empty}")
        else
            context(str)
        end
    end
\stopluacode

\def\emptyOrNot#1{%
    \ctxlua{userdata.empty_or_not(#1)}%
}

\starttext

    \emptyOrNot{Amazing Text!}

    \emptyOrNot{}

\stoptext

This did not work. I determined that even when I passed a non-empty
string, the Lua interpreter detected it as nil. It turns out the fix
was simple--I had to quote the string, as follows.

\def\emptyOrNot#1{%
    \ctxlua{userdata.empty_or_not("#1")}%
}

It took me a while to figure that out, though, since the wiki example
does not show quotes.

--
Matt Gushee

* Re: Passing macro parameters to lua
@ 2013-08-05 21:00 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-08-05 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 8/5/2013 10:53 PM, Matt Gushee wrote:
> Hello, good people--
>
> I've encountered what appears to be a bug in either the TeX->Lua
> interface or the documentation thereof (I have the latest stable
> ConTeXt standalone from contextgarden.net).
>
> I'm trying to create a macro that will insert different text depending
> on whether one of the arguments is empty or not. My initial test
> implementation (following the wiki section entitled "Passing arguments
> and buffers: ConTeXt commands that hook into Lua") looked like this:
>
> \startluacode
>      userdata = userdata or {}
>
>      function userdata.empty_or_not(str)
>          if str == "" or str == nil then
>              context("{\\sc Empty}")
>          else
>              context(str)
>          end
>      end
> \stopluacode
>
> \def\emptyOrNot#1{%
>      \ctxlua{userdata.empty_or_not(#1)}%
> }
>
> \starttext
>
>      \emptyOrNot{Amazing Text!}
>
>      \emptyOrNot{}
>
> \stoptext
>
> This did not work. I determined that even when I passed a non-empty
> string, the Lua interpreter detected it as nil. It turns out the fix
> was simple--I had to quote the string, as follows.
>
> \def\emptyOrNot#1{%
>      \ctxlua{userdata.empty_or_not("#1")}%
> }
>
> It took me a while to figure that out, though, since the wiki example
> does not show quotes.

indeed you need quotes

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-08-05 21:35   ` Sietse Brouwer