From: Sietse Brouwer <sbbrouwer@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: square in Cambria font
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 16:51:14 +0200	[thread overview]

> Of the three fonts I tried (cambria, lmodern,
> lucidaot) it seems lmodern is the only one
> doing it right.

Depends on what is required to 'do it right' --- the Unicode reference
doesn't mention any mathematical use for U+25A1 white square, so I'm
not sure that "must match squared plus glyph" is a requirement.
Perhaps the creators of Cambria expected the glyph to be used for
itemizations, or footnote marks.

Out of curiosity: what are you using the square for / what does it
stand for, that makes matching squared plus so important to you? There
might even exist some other glyph that is semantically more suitable.

Cheers,
Sietse