* Makeup layout
@ 2013-05-15  3:01 Andrew Bernard
From: Andrew Bernard @ 2013-05-15  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Greetings list,

A newbie question: how does one adjust the vertical position of text in
a makeup block for a title page? It seems to go on the centre no matter
what. The voffset and hoffset parameters appear to have no effect.

I have heard that layers can be used. But there is no section on layers
in the current reference manual. Where does one find information on this
aspect of ConTeXt?

Andrew

* Re: Makeup layout
@ 2013-05-15  6:56 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-05-15  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.05.2013 um 05:01 schrieb Andrew Bernard <andrew.bernard@gmail.com>:

> Greetings list,
>
> A newbie question: how does one adjust the vertical position of text in a makeup block for a title page? It seems to go on the centre no matter what. The voffset and hoffset parameters appear to have no effect.

You have to use the \vfill command to push the content up/down.

\showframe[text][text]

\starttext

\startmakeup[standard][bottom=\vfill]
Top aligned
\stopmakeup

\startmakeup[standard][top=\vfill]
Bottom aligned
\stopmakeup

\startmakeup[standard][top=\vfill,bottom=\vfill\vfill]
High aligned
\stopmakeup

\startmakeup[standard][top=\vfill\vfill,bottom=\vfill]
Low aligned
\stopmakeup

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Makeup layout
@ 2013-05-15 11:57   ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2013-05-15 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Andrew,

Andrew wrote:
> I have heard that layers can be used. But there
> is no section on layers in the current reference
> manual. Where does one find information on this
> aspect of ConTeXt?

You are right that there is no complete, from-the-ground-up,
description and explanation of the layers mechanism. A reasonably good
text, however, is in the MetaFun manual [1,2]: section 5.3 (Positional
graphics > More layers).

The "Pseudo columns" (pdfpages 11-13) section of the "It's in the
details" manual [13 is shorter and covers only a few specific use
cases, but it's a nice little start and has some information that the
MetaFun manual does not have. The MWE below is based mainly on that
text. NB: I rarely use layers, so the MWE may not reflect best
practices.

[1] print version: http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/metafun-p.pdf
[2] screen version: http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/metafun-s.pdf
[3] http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/details.pdf

I hope this will help you on your way a bit! Best wishes,

Sietse

\setuppapersize[A6]
\setuplayout
   [columns=3,         % add a horizontal grid, 3 equal columns
    columndistance=12pt,]% 12 pt(?) distance between them

% The layer `textlayer` will be the background
% of the `text` typesetting area.
\definelayer[textlayer]
\setupbackgrounds [text] [background=textlayer]

\showgrid % make the mechanism visible

\starttext
    % Start the title page, sans page number etc.
    \startstandardmakeup
        % Using column and line positions the left end of the box's
        % baseline
        \setlayer [textlayer] [column=3,line=10,location=grid]
            {\ruledvtop {\hsize\layoutcolumnwidth
                \definedfont[Regular sa 2]nitty-\par gritty}}

        % Using x and y offsets the top left of the box from the top
        % left corner
        \setlayer [textlayer] [x=1cm, y=1cm]
            {\blackrule[width=1cm, height=1cm]}

        \setlayer [textlayer] [x=1cm, line=10]
            {\ruledvtop {\hsize\layoutcolumnwidth
                \definedfont[Regular sa 2]This \par is}}
    \stopstandardmakeup
\stoptext