* [NTG-context] \brokenpenalties query
@ 2024-06-19 13:28 Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2024-06-19 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have in the past relied on
    \setpenalties\brokenpenalties{1}{10000}\
to set the penalty for a page break after a hyphen. But with the latest
LMTX, when I run the file, I get the error message
Error    count has to be 1 for \brokenpenalties
Any advice on how to fix the file would be most welcome.

Alan

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: \brokenpenalties query
@ 2024-06-19 14:06 ` Mikael Sundqvist
From: Mikael Sundqvist @ 2024-06-19 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 19, 2024 at 3:40 PM Alan Bowen <bowenalan03@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have in the past relied on
>     \setpenalties\brokenpenalties{1}{10000}\
> to set the penalty for a page break after a hyphen. But with the latest
> LMTX, when I run the file, I get the error message
> Error    count has to be 1 for \brokenpenalties
> Any advice on how to fix the file would be most welcome.
>
> Alan

Probably only Hans (or Wolfgang) can give a complete answer here. But

\startsetups [*default]
  \directsetup{*reset}
  \frozen\brokenpenalties 1 10000\relax
\stopsetups

works here.

/Mikael

PS

An interesting new feature is the possibility to set penalties depending on
left and right page, by using options. For example

\startsetups [*default]
  \directsetup{*reset}
  \frozen\clubpenalties   3 options 4 1500 3000 250 500 0 0 \relax
\stopsetups

sets club club penalties 1500 for first line and 250 for second for going
from left page to right page (and then 0 for the rest) and 3000 for first
line and 500 for second (and rest 0) for going from right page to left page.

I hope this helps a bit.

@ 2024-06-19 14:41   ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2024-06-19 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 6/19/2024 4:06 PM, Mikael Sundqvist wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2024 at 3:40 PM Alan Bowen <bowenalan03@gmail.com
> <mailto:bowenalan03@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I have in the past relied on
>          \setpenalties\brokenpenalties{1}{10000}\
>     to set the penalty for a page break after a hyphen. But with the
>     latest LMTX, when I run the file, I get the error message
>     Error	count has to be 1 for \brokenpenalties
>
>     Any advice on how to fix the file would be most welcome.
>
>     Alan
>

> Probably only Hans (or Wolfgang) can give a complete answer here. But
>
> \startsetups [*default]
>    \directsetup{*reset}
>    \frozen\brokenpenalties 1 10000\relax
> \stopsetups
>
> works here.
>
> /Mikael
currently \brokenpenalties only takes one setting

\permanent\protected\def\setpenalties#1#2#3%
   {\ifdefined#1%
      \frozen#1\ifx#1\brokenpenalties
        \plusone#3\relax
      \else
        \numexpr#2+\plusone\relax\space\expandedrepeat\numexpr#2\relax
          { #3}\zerocount\relax
      \fi
    \fi}

> PS
>
> An interesting new feature is the possibility to set penalties depending
> on left and right page, by using options. For example
>
> \startsetups [*default]
>    \directsetup{*reset}
>    \frozen\clubpenalties   3 options 4 1500 3000 250 500 0 0 \relax
> \stopsetups
>
> sets club club penalties 1500 for first line and 250 for second for
> going from left page to right page (and then 0 for the rest) and 3000
> for first line and 500 for second (and rest 0) for going from right page
> to left page.
>
> I hope this helps a bit.

> maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl
> webpage  : https://www.pragma-ade.nl / https://context.aanhet.net (mirror)
> archive  : https://github.com/contextgarden/context
> wiki     : https://wiki.contextgarden.net

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2024-06-20 13:21     ` Mikael Sundqvist
From: Mikael Sundqvist @ 2024-06-20 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi again,

in fact, the \brokenpenalties is new. So using \setpenalties on it in
the past did not do anything, since \ifdefined#1 would never be
true...

/Mikael

@ 2024-06-20 20:33       ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2024-06-20 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mikael and Hans—

Thank you so much for your help.Your advice regarding \brokenpenalities and
\clubpenalities is greatly appreciated and will solve a problem that I
was having from time to time in paginating my journal.

@ 2024-06-20 20:53         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2024-06-20 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6/20/2024 10:33 PM, Alan Bowen wrote:
> Mikael and Hans—
>
> Thank you so much for your help.Your advice regarding \brokenpenalities
> and \clubpenalities is greatly appreciated and will solve a problem that
> I was having from time to time in paginating my journal.
+ \widowpenalties

one works top down, the other bottom up and when they colide they add up

there are some more new ones, like \orphanpenalty (and \orphanpenalties)
as well as \todlerpenalty as well as multriple parpasses

another new feature is vertical expansion

some is documented alreaydy and more details will follow (probably after
the ctx meeting)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2024-06-21 15:23           ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2024-06-21 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have found entries on \widowpenalty, \widowpenalties, \orphanpenalty,
\orphanpenalities and look forward to learning about vertical expansion.
Many thanks, Hans.

Alan

@ 2024-06-21 16:10             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2024-06-21 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6/21/2024 5:23 PM, Alan Bowen wrote:

>  > and \clubpenalities is greatly appreciated and will solve a problem that
there is some in lowlevel-lines.tex

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl