* vertical bar spacing in Antykwa-Poltawskiego
@ 2013-07-23 11:20 Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2013-07-23 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using Antykwa-Poltawskiego to set a French text that includes ancient
Greek.

In the Greek text, there is a vertical bar (to mark the end of a column).
The custom is to set the spacing about the bar so that
(a) when the bar is inside a word, the bar appears as a normal character
(b) when the bar is between words, the bar has an emspace on either side.

The problem is that Antykwa-Poltawskiego defines the vertical bar with
spaces on either side.

Is there a way to adjust this so that the vertical bar appears as it should
in Greek text—and to do this without clobbering the French punctuation or
getting weird effects when the bar is at the end of a line? For instance,
is there a way to combine rules for character spacing so that the second
overrules the first only when they are in conflict?

Alan

* Re: vertical bar spacing in Antykwa-Poltawskiego
@ 2013-07-23 11:32 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-07-23 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 23.07.2013 um 13:20 schrieb Alan Bowen <bowenalan03@gmail.com>:

> I am using Antykwa-Poltawskiego to set a French text that includes ancient Greek.
>
> In the Greek text, there is a vertical bar (to mark the end of a column). The custom is to set the spacing about the bar so that
> (a) when the bar is inside a word, the bar appears as a normal character
> (b) when the bar is between words, the bar has an emspace on either side.

\setupbodyfont[antykwa-poltawskiego]

\def\test
  {\ifnum\lastnodetype=11
     \quad\textbar\quad
   \else
     \textbar
   \fi}

\setcharacterspacing[frenchpunctuation]

\starttext
left\test middle \test right
\stoptext

> The problem is that Antykwa-Poltawskiego defines the vertical bar with spaces on either side.

Do you have a example for this?

> Is there a way to adjust this so that the vertical bar appears as it should in Greek text—and to do this without clobbering the French punctuation or getting weird effects when the bar is at the end of a line? For instance, is there a way to combine rules for character spacing so that the second overrules the first only when they are in conflict?

Make a example for the problem with french.

Wolfgang

* Re: vertical bar spacing in Antykwa-Poltawskiego
@ 2013-07-23 11:46   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-07-23 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> Am 23.07.2013 um 13:20 schrieb Alan Bowen <bowenalan03@gmail.com>:
>
>> I am using Antykwa-Poltawskiego to set a French text that includes ancient Greek.
>>
>> In the Greek text, there is a vertical bar (to mark the end of a column). The custom is to set the spacing about the bar so that
>> (a) when the bar is inside a word, the bar appears as a normal character
>> (b) when the bar is between words, the bar has an emspace on either side.
>
> \setupbodyfont[antykwa-poltawskiego]
>
> \def\test
>    {\ifnum\lastnodetype=11

\ifnum\lastnodetype=\gluenodecode

>       \quad\textbar\quad
>     \else
>       \textbar
>     \fi}
>
> \setcharacterspacing[frenchpunctuation]
>
> \starttext
> left\test middle \test right
> \stoptext
>
>> The problem is that Antykwa-Poltawskiego defines the vertical bar with spaces on either side.
>
> Do you have a example for this?
>
>> Is there a way to adjust this so that the vertical bar appears as it should in Greek text—and to do this without clobbering the French punctuation or getting weird effects when the bar is at the end of a line? For instance, is there a way to combine rules for character spacing so that the second overrules the first only when they are in conflict?
>
> Make a example for the problem with french.
>
> Wolfgang

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-07-23 13:42     ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2013-07-23 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang, Hans—many thanks to you both!

Part of the problem was that i was using \| instead of \textbar. I now have:

\setupbodyfont[antykwa-poltawskiego]

\def\test
  {\ifnum\lastnodetype=\gluenodecode
\|
   \else
     \textbar
   \fi}

\setcharacterspacing[frenchpunctuation]

\starttext
left\test middle \test right

\stoptext

which looks good on the page—\quad\textbar\quad puts too much space around
the bar.

Again, thanks!

Alan

@ 2013-07-23 14:25       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-07-23 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 23.07.2013 um 15:42 schrieb Alan Bowen <bowenalan03@gmail.com>:

> Wolfgang, Hans—many thanks to you both!
>
> Part of the problem was that i was using \| instead of \textbar. I now have:
>
> \setupbodyfont[antykwa-poltawskiego]
>
> \def\test
>   {\ifnum\lastnodetype=\gluenodecode
> 	\|
>    \else
>      \textbar
>    \fi}
>
> \setcharacterspacing[frenchpunctuation]
>
> \starttext
> left\test middle \test right
>
> \stoptext
>
> which looks good on the page—\quad\textbar\quad puts too much space around the bar.

You can use \letterbar instead of \|. \textbar and \letterbar produce different output because
\letterbar is taken from the text font which has padding on the left and right side while \textbar
is taken from the math font which has no padding.

When you don’t like the extra space around | I suggest to use another font which fits your taste
and use \letterbar in both cases (just add some space on the left/right between word).

Wolfgang

* Re: vertical bar spacing in Antykwa-Poltawskiego
@ 2013-07-23 15:24         ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2013-07-23 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)