* \starthanging and hangafter
@ 2014-02-28 14:54 Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2014-02-28 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using using \starthanging...\stophanging to embed a small image in a
paragraph in a footnote. Currently, I have a pattern like:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Is there a way to get a pattern like

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

instead?

Alan

* Re: \starthanging and hangafter
@ 2014-02-28 20:58 ` Thangalin
From: Thangalin @ 2014-02-28 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Alan,

Please post your code.

@ 2014-02-28 21:32   ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2014-02-28 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Thangalin--

Right now I am working with this minimal example :

\setupexternalfigures[location={local,default}]
\starttext
text text.%
%
\footnote{\starthanging[location={right}]
{\externalfigure[cow][width=.1\textwidth]}
\dorecurse{2}{\input ward}

\stophanging}
\stoptext

Alan

@ 2014-03-02 20:19     ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2014-03-02 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

A follow up, if I may.

Unlike \starthanging..\stophanging which behaves in the same way in both
body text and footnotes, \placefigure does not. In footnotes, \olacefigure
adds an opening blank line and runs the text through the image. It does,
however, seem to place the image better. An example:

\setupexternalfigures[location={local,default}]

\starttext

text text,%
\footnote{
\starthanging[location=right]
{\externalfigure[cow][width=.1\textwidth]}
\dorecurse{2}{\input ward}
\stophanging}
 and more text%
\footnote{\placefigure[right,none]{}
{\externalfigure[cow][width=.1\textwidth]}
\dorecurse{2}{\input ward}
}

\placefigure[right,none]{}
{\externalfigure[cow][width=.1\textwidth]}
\dorecurse{2}{\input ward}
\stoptext

If \placefigure worked in footnotes as it does in body text, that would be
good--though being able to place the image at the right but under the first
line or first two lines of the footnote would be ideal.

Is there a way to get this outcome using either \starthanging..\stophanging
or \placefigure?

Alan

@ 2014-03-03  2:20       ` Thangalin
From: Thangalin @ 2014-03-03  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Alan,

From the archives:

http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2006/015481.html

The \hangsidefloat and \movesidefloat commands may prove useful.

Once you have a simple working example, post it to this thread and
I'll update the wiki.

* Re: \starthanging and hangafter
@ 2014-03-03 14:36         ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2014-03-03 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Thangalin. I did not know of \hangsidefloat and \movesidefloat and
can see that they will very useful in combination with \placefigure in the
body text, when I need text to flow over and below images at the side.

The problem is that \placefigure[right or left] does not work in footnotes.
I will start a new thread to see if I can get help with that. And when I
have a solution (a working example) I will post it to this current thread
so that you can put it on the wiki.

All best, Alan

@ 2014-03-03 16:28       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2014-03-03 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 02.03.2014 um 21:19 schrieb Alan Bowen <bowenalan03@gmail.com>:

> A follow up, if I may.
>
> Unlike \starthanging..\stophanging which behaves in the same way in both body text and footnotes, \placefigure does not. In footnotes, \olacefigure adds an opening blank line and runs the text through the image. It does, however, seem to place the image better. An example:
>
> \setupexternalfigures[location={local,default}]
>
> \starttext
>
> text text,%
> \footnote{
> \starthanging[location=right]
> 	{\externalfigure[cow][width=.1\textwidth]}
> 	\dorecurse{2}{\input ward}
> 	\stophanging}
>  and more text%
> \footnote{\placefigure[right,none]{}
> 	{\externalfigure[cow][width=.1\textwidth]}
> 	\dorecurse{2}{\input ward}
> 	}
>
> \placefigure[right,none]{}
> 	{\externalfigure[cow][width=.1\textwidth]}
> 	\dorecurse{2}{\input ward}
> \stoptext
>
> If \placefigure worked in footnotes as it does in body text, that would be good—though being able to place the image at the right but under the first line or first two lines of the footnote would be ideal.
>
> Is there a way to get this outcome using either \starthanging..\stophanging or \placefigure?

You need the \parshape to command to get this kind of output but AFAIK there is no user interface for this in context.

Wolfgang

* Re: \starthanging and hangafter
@ 2014-03-03 19:58         ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2014-03-03 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)