* problem with counters (page)
@ 2020-06-09 21:34 Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2020-06-09 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

My efforts to set up a new page counter in the footertexts of a book are
not proving successful. The following code shows the nature of the problem.

\definecounter[volpage][type=page, way=bypage]
\starttext
\setcounter[volpage][5]
\dorecurse{3}{\startTEXpage[offset=2pc]
\input ward
\blank[medium]
\centerline{\red\tfa\rawcounter[volpage]\incrementcounter[volpage]}
\stopTEXpage}
\stoptext

As you will see, the counter is not incremented on pages 2 and 3.

I expect that I have missed something important. But what?

Alan

* Re: problem with counters (page)
@ 2020-06-10  7:12 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2020-06-10  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Incrementing the counter outside of the TEXpage should work.

Best wishes,
Taco

> On 9 Jun 2020, at 23:34, Alan Bowen <bowenalan03@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My efforts to set up a new page counter in the footertexts of a book are not proving successful. The following code shows the nature of the problem.
>
> \definecounter[volpage][type=page, way=bypage]
> \starttext
> \setcounter[volpage][5]
> \dorecurse{3}{\startTEXpage[offset=2pc]
> 		\input ward
> 		\blank[medium]
> 		\centerline{\red\tfa\rawcounter[volpage]\incrementcounter[volpage]}
> 		\stopTEXpage}
> \stoptext
>
> As you will see, the counter is not incremented on pages 2 and 3.
>
> I expect that I have missed something important. But what?
>
> Alan

Taco Hoekwater
Elvenkind BV

* Re: problem with counters (page)
@ 2020-06-10 13:05   ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2020-06-10 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Taco—

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried it with \incrementcounter before
and after the TEXpage. Sadly, neither worked.

This mwe is an attempt to capture the failure of the following in
processing a product with numerous components:

\definecounter[volpage][type=page, way=bypage]
\setupfootertexts[text]
[]
[{\centerline{\raise\NumberRaise\hbox{\rawcounter[volpage]}}
\incrementcounter[volpage]}]
[{\centerline{\raise\NumberRaise\hbox{\rawcounter[volpage]}}
\incrementcounter[volpage]}]
[]

If your suggestion had worked, I would have had difficulty in applying it.

Alan

@ 2020-06-10 13:44     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2020-06-10 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Alan,

Sorry, I should have actually tried your MWE. You do *not* want
way=bypage here, as that resets the counter to one at the start
of the next page (it is useful for footnotes that are numbered
per-page, but not for actual page counters).

Taco Hoekwater
Elvenkind BV

* Re: problem with counters (page)
@ 2020-06-10 15:04       ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2020-06-10 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Taco! That works in my mwe. I added way=bytext in my env file and
the output is just what I need.

Best, Alan

@ 2020-06-10 15:13         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-06-10 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Bowen schrieb am 10.06.2020 um 17:04:
> Thanks, Taco! That works in my mwe. I added way=bytext in my env file
> and the output is just what I need.

Why don't you use sub pages?

\starttext

%\setupsubpagenumber[start=5]\resetsubpagenumber
\setcounter[subpage][5]

\startTEXpage
     \samplefile{ward}
     \blank