* footnote rollover message in PDFs (with interaction)
@ 2013-05-14 11:46 Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2013-05-14 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

The PDFs that I produce are now being read on a number different platforms,
some with very small screens. So, in the case of footnotes at least, I was
wondering if there was a way to  produce PDFs such that when the cursor
passes over the footnote call, the popup message includes the entire
footnote and not just “Go to page xx”.

Alan

* Re: footnote rollover message in PDFs (with interaction)
@ 2013-05-14 17:59 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-05-14 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/14/2013 1:46 PM, Alan Bowen wrote:
> The PDFs that I produce are now being read on a number different
> platforms, some with very small screens. So, in the case of footnotes at
> least, I was wondering if there was a way to  produce PDFs such that
> when the cursor passes over the footnote call, the popup message
> includes the entire footnote and not just “Go to page xx”.

i'm thinking of cooking up some support like that for ebook like
applications but i'll wait till i run into a proper device (also, it
needs support from the viewer; there are several solutions possible) ...
i did a lot of that stuff over a decade ago but there waas never much
interest in it (from publishers)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-05-15 12:20   ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2013-05-15 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Hans. I expect that there will be more interest from publishers now
as ebooks become more common, move to diverse platforms, and cease from
being digital shadows of printed volumes.

Also of interest would be support that would allow one to recover from
taking an internal hyperlink (i.e., returning to the original location
after taking an internal link to another location/page).

Alan

@ 2013-05-15 13:14     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-05-15 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/15/2013 2:20 PM, Alan Bowen wrote:
> Thanks, Hans. I expect that there will be more interest from publishers
> now as ebooks become more common, move to diverse platforms, and cease
> from being digital shadows of printed volumes.
>
> Also of interest would be support that would allow one to recover from
> taking an internal hyperlink (i.e., returning to the original location
> after taking an internal link to another location/page).

afaik that's already the case (two way coupling) but it goes unnoticed
if one's on the same page

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-05-15 14:13       ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2013-05-15 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, two-way coupling for footnotes works (though as you say, it goes
unnoticed if everything is no the same page. But what of other hyperlink
links, say, a reference to a chapter or a section?

@ 2013-05-15 14:37         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-05-15 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/15/2013 4:13 PM, Alan Bowen wrote:
> Yes, two-way coupling for footnotes works (though as you say, it goes
> unnoticed if everything is no the same page. But what of other hyperlink
> links, say, a reference to a chapter or a section?

when setting up a section head you can say

interaction=list

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-05-19 14:41           ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2013-05-19 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)