* smallcaps
@ 2016-06-29  8:05 dr. Hans van der Meer
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: dr. Hans van der Meer @ 2016-06-29  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

I do not understand the behaviour of the \sc macro. I thought smallcaps would turn out to be smaller than capitals. But I see no difference between them except a subtle difference in letterspacing. Am I doing something wrong here?

Hans van der Meer

Minimal example and output:

\setuppapersize[A5][A5]
\starttext
\setupbodyfont[lmodern]
lmodern: uppercase <ABC-{\sc ABC}> smallcaps\blank
\setupbodyfont[cambria]
cambria: uppercase <ABC-{\sc ABC}> smallcaps\blank
\LuaTeX-version=0.\the\luatexversion\crlf
\ConTeXt-version=\contextversion\crlf
\stoptext

[-- Attachment #2: smallcaps.pdf --]

* Re: smallcaps
@ 2016-06-29  8:29 ` Mikael P. Sundqvist
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2016-06-29  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 10:05 AM, dr. Hans van der Meer
<havdmeer@ziggo.nl> wrote:
> I do not understand the behaviour of the \sc macro. I thought smallcaps would turn out to be smaller than capitals. But I see no difference between them except a subtle difference in letterspacing. Am I doing something wrong here?
>
> Hans van der Meer
>
> Minimal example and output:
>
> \setuppapersize[A5][A5]
> \starttext
> \setupbodyfont[lmodern]
> lmodern: uppercase <ABC-{\sc ABC}> smallcaps\blank
> \setupbodyfont[cambria]
> cambria: uppercase <ABC-{\sc ABC}> smallcaps\blank
> \LuaTeX-version=0.\the\luatexversion\crlf
> \ConTeXt-version=\contextversion\crlf
> \stoptext

Hi!

I think \sc ABC should give ABC in full size as it does.

Try

\sc ABCabc

/Mikael

* Re: smallcaps
@ 2016-06-29  9:00 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2016-06-29  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> dr. Hans van der Meer <mailto:havdmeer@ziggo.nl>
> 29. Juni 2016 um 10:05
> I do not understand the behaviour of the \sc macro. I thought
> smallcaps would turn out to be smaller than capitals. But I see no
> difference between them except a subtle difference in letterspacing.
> Am I doing something wrong here?
>
> Hans van der Meer
>
> Minimal example and output:
>
> \setuppapersize[A5][A5]
> \starttext
> \setupbodyfont[lmodern]
> lmodern: uppercase <ABC-{\sc ABC}> smallcaps\blank
> \setupbodyfont[cambria]
> cambria: uppercase <ABC-{\sc ABC}> smallcaps\blank
> \LuaTeX-version=0.\the\luatexversion\crlf
> \ConTeXt-version=\contextversion\crlf
> \stoptext
Smallcaps changes only the layout of lowercase letters but some fonts
let you also change uppercase letters.

In the example below you can see how you can change uppercase and
lowercase letter with the smcp and c2sc features.

\definefontfeature[f:smcp][smcp=yes]
\definefontfeature[f:c2sc][c2sc=yes]

\setupbodyfont[pagella]

\starttext

An easy and breezy Sunday morning.

{\feature[+][f:smcp]An easy and breezy Sunday morning.}

{\feature[+][f:c2sc]An easy and breezy Sunday morning.}

{\feature[+][f:c2sc,f:smcp]An easy and breezy Sunday morning.}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: smallcaps
@ 2016-06-29  9:26   ` Meer, Hans van der
From: Meer, Hans van der @ 2016-06-29  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

Thanks.

For those who are curious as to how I became confused about the uppercase-lowercase for smallcaps: look at session "803 Typography and Fonts" in Apple's WWDC2016 conference, just after 23 minutes and you will understand.

Hans van der Meer

@ 2016-06-29 10:39 ` dr. Hans van der Meer
From: dr. Hans van der Meer @ 2016-06-29 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

> On 29 Jun 2016, at 10:05, dr. Hans van der Meer <havdmeer@ziggo.nl> wrote:
>
> I do not understand the behaviour of the \sc macro. I thought smallcaps would turn out to be smaller than capitals. But I see no difference between them except a subtle difference in letterspacing. Am I doing something wrong here?
>
> Hans van der Meer

The above issue being solved, I guess there is something else in my setup not being as it should be.
Because the code:

\starttext
\setupbodyfont[lucidaot]
{\sc abc}
\stoptext

Does give me abc in smallcaps, but placing the \setupbodyfont before the \starttext surprisingly does not.

\setupbodyfont[lucidaot]
\starttext
{\sc abc}
\stoptext

Changing the lucidaot call for cambria or lmodern gives the expected coorect behaviour.
So I guess there is something amiss with how I did setup the lucida font in my system.
I bought the lucida opentype font and installed my TeX trees as follows. The split between the ConTeXt directory and the one for my local files facilitates downloading new beta versions.

~home\TeX\texmf\
  fonts
    opentype
      bh
        lucidaot
          LucidaBlackletterOT.otf .. LucidaSansTypewriterOT.otf
  tex
    context
      user (my own modules)

~home\Applications\TeX-programs\
    context
      tex
        link to the above texmf
        further as downloaded from the beta

Strange thing furthermore is that changing the name of the lucidaot-directory in the texmf-tree does not seem to make any difference, not in any case when I execute "mtxrun --script font --reload --force" and afterwards "mtxrun --script context --make".

So I guess there are some things I did not right. Can that be spotted from the information given here?

Hans van der Meer

* Re: smallcaps
@ 2016-06-29 10:55   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2016-06-29 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> dr. Hans van der Meer <mailto:havdmeer@ziggo.nl>
> 29. Juni 2016 um 12:39
>
> The above issue being solved, I guess there is something else in my
> setup not being as it should be.
> Because the code:
>
> \starttext
> \setupbodyfont[lucidaot]
> {\sc abc}
> \stoptext
>
> Does give me abc in smallcaps, but placing the \setupbodyfont before
> the \starttext surprisingly does not.
>
> \setupbodyfont[lucidaot]
> \starttext
> {\sc abc}
> \stoptext
>
> Changing the lucidaot call for cambria or lmodern gives the expected
> coorect behaviour.
> So I guess there is something amiss with how I did setup the lucida
> font in my system.
> I bought the lucida opentype font and installed my TeX trees as
> follows. The split between the ConTeXt directory and the one for my
> local files facilitates downloading new beta versions.
>
> ~home\TeX\texmf\
> fonts
> opentype
> bh
> lucidaot
> LucidaBlackletterOT.otf .. LucidaSansTypewriterOT.otf
> tex
> context
> user (my own modules)
>
> ~home\Applications\TeX-programs\
> context
> tex
> link to the above texmf
> further as downloaded from the beta
>
> Strange thing furthermore is that changing the name of the
> lucidaot-directory in the texmf-tree does not seem to make any
> difference, not in any case when I execute "mtxrun --script font
> --reload --force" and afterwards "mtxrun --script context --make".
>
> So I guess there are some things I did not right. Can that be spotted
> from the information given here?
The typescript for Lucida Bright OT doesn’t set a font (or applies the
smallcaps feature) to the \sc font switch.

To get small capitals you can now activate the "smcp" or "c2sc" features
or you create your own typeface (the \definefontfamily command always
sets a font for the \sc switch).

\definefontfamily[lucidaopentype][rm][Lucida Bright OT]
\definefontfamily[lucidaopentype][ss][Lucida Sans OT]
\definefontfamily[lucidaopentype][tt][Lucida Sans Typewriter OT]
\definefontfamily[lucidaopentype][mm][Lucida Bright Math OT]

\setupbodyfont[lucidaopentype]

\starttext

{\rm\tf Upright, \it Italic, \bf Bold, \bi BoldItalic and \sc SmallCaps}

{\ss\tf Upright, \it Italic, \bf Bold, \bi BoldItalic and \sc SmallCaps}

{\tt\tf Upright, \it Italic, \bf Bold, \bi BoldItalic and \sc SmallCaps}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: smallcaps
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-06-29 11:00 ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2016-06-29 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans—

Try “ABC {\sc abc}”.

Alan

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 4:05 AM, dr. Hans van der Meer <havdmeer@ziggo.nl>
wrote:

> I do not understand the behaviour of the \sc macro. I thought smallcaps
> would turn out to be smaller than capitals. But I see no difference between
> them except a subtle difference in letterspacing. Am I doing something
> wrong here?
>
> Hans van der Meer
>
> Minimal example and output:
>
> \setuppapersize[A5][A5]
> \starttext
> \setupbodyfont[lmodern]
> lmodern: uppercase <ABC-{\sc ABC}> smallcaps\blank
> \setupbodyfont[cambria]
> cambria: uppercase <ABC-{\sc ABC}> smallcaps\blank
> \LuaTeX-version=0.\the\luatexversion\crlf
> \ConTeXt-version=\contextversion\crlf
> \stoptext

* Re: smallcaps
@ 2016-06-29 11:09     ` Wolfgang Schuster