Whether the filter is "simple" or "simplistic", it is odd that such a filter has not been abundantly available before. I often wondered years ago when I first started to understand the difference between raster and vector graphics why something so simple (or simplistic) could not be easily done. It was also strange to me that I couldn't easily create a TeX document with one set of graphics and have TeX generate two types of output, namely color and a grayscale, depending on the value of some parameters. Utilities are available in abundance which can transform raster graphics from color to grayscale, but until I created this yesterday, I have never seen a utility that keeps the graphic in vector format (i.e., never rasterizes it throughout the conversion) and converts it from color to grayscale. Until I read this thread, I guess I thought I was the only one that desired such a tool. I'm glad to see that at least I'm not alone. Troy