2011/7/6 luigi scarso > On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Cecil Westerhof > wrote: > > At the moment I have the following in my document: > > In the chapters 7 to 12 a more in depth description of the > > functionalities will be given. > > > > For this document it is not a real problem. (I do not expect the chapter > > structure to change often.) But it would be nicer to get the chapter > numbers > > auto generated. Is this possible? > I (and I suppose others) don't understand your question. > Does not \chapter work ? > Sorry, communication is not my strong point. :-{ What I mean. I have something like: \chapter{General description} . . This is explained in chapters 7 to 12. . . \chapter{another} . . \chapter{first explaining} % this is (now) chapter 7 . . \chapter{last explaining} % this is (now) chapter 12 When chapters are added, moved or removed. The chapter numbers in the above sentence have to be changed manually. As a real programmer I am lazy and want the computer do it for me. :-D -- Cecil Westerhof