2011/7/15 John Haltiwanger > Cecil, I don't think its fair to constrain yourself from ever using Context > again. That was not what I mend. When making my own stuff where I do not have the need off interoperability I will keep using it. But in other case I should evaluate the situation correctly. Between a rock an a hard place is not a nice position. ;-} > What does 'competely independent' mean? > Properly that anybody that knows how to write a document in Microsoft Office can change the document. So standard software, with a low learning curve. I had some problems getting them to accept to use Adobe. And now that turns out to be not a real option. Learning all the time as Benny Hill said. > If you have been asked to hand over layout decisions, the best is to > reproduce your document in XHTML, copy it into a word processor, and let > them proceed with their own desing in their proprietary WYSIWYG software. > No the problem is not the layout. They are satisfied with that. They just do not want to be dependent on our company. > Even if they just want to make textual changes, this is probably still be > your best bet. You can then relatively easily convert them back to Context > (a matter of re-mapping text into Context). > That sounds like a good plan. Converting back is properly not necessary. But it would not hurt if it is possible. > There is a plan I have to produce an easier-for-point-and-clickers > interface to collaborate on high quality Context based layouts, but the time > hasn't appeared to materialize it yet. > Sounds good. If I could be of help … > If you search through the archives for 'pandoc' you will see that many of > us have chosen to abstract ourselves from direct dependence on Context for > our document 'coding'. There is a tangible flexibility provided by writing > in a visually semantic preformat like Markdown. It helps during the editing > stages because it is easy to generate other formats that people are more > familiar with (OpenOffice can be converted to Word---then it is a matter of > 'backporting' changes to the Context source). > I'll do that. > If they weren't clear about planning to take on this design > responsibility--which they should have long before the deadline--than I feel > it is the fault of the editors and not the fault of Context. Under such > conditions I would have written text for these people in something they > understand, like an word processor document (LibreOffice can save as MS Word > easily enough). > That is what I mend that in hindsight I should not have used ConTeXt. ;-} > Sorry to hear you are having trouble with this. I know what it is like to > face the edge of a deadline. > I'll survive, I always did. :-D I have to thank this list for the help and support. -- Cecil Westerhof