* Installing ConTeXt in Windows (XP)
@ 2011-08-12 15:14 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-08-12 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I like to install ConTeXt on a Windows (XP) machine (so I can make an
installation manual). I use:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone#Installation_and_use_on_Windows

The preferable setup would be with the GUI. But when I do this. I get:
    update failed
    Error code: 1
and
    Make failed
    Error code: 1

What is happening here?

I also tried (in c:\context):
    first-setup.bat --context=current

This looks okay, but when running context I get:
mtxrun          | forcing cache reload
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
'c:/contextminimal/texm
f-local/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
'c:/contextminimal/texm
f-context/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | unknown configuration file
'c:/contextminimal/texm
f/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving |
resolvers       | resolving | warning: no lua configuration files found
resolvers       | resolving | locating list of 'c:/contextminimal/texmf'
(runtim
e)
resolvers       | methods | resolver: method=locators, how=uri, scheme=file,
arg
ument=c:/contextminimal/texmf
resolvers       | files | file locator 'c:/contextminimal/texmf' not found
resolvers       | resolving | locating list of
'c:/contextminimal/texmf-local' (
runtime)
resolvers       | methods | resolver: method=locators, how=uri, scheme=file,
arg
ument=c:/contextminimal/texmf-local
resolvers       | files | file locator 'c:/contextminimal/texmf-local' not
found

resolvers       | resolving | locating list of
'c:/contextminimal/texmf-context'
 (runtime)
resolvers       | methods | resolver: method=locators, how=uri, scheme=file,
arg
ument=c:/contextminimal/texmf-context
resolvers       | files | file locator 'c:/contextminimal/texmf-context' not
fou
nd
resolvers       | resolving | locating list of
'c:/contextminimal/texmf-mswin' (
runtime)
resolvers       | methods | resolver: method=locators, how=uri, scheme=file,
arg
ument=c:/contextminimal/texmf-mswin
resolvers       | files | file locator 'c:/contextminimal/texmf-mswin' not
found

resolvers       | resolving |
resolvers       | resolving |
mtxrun          | the resolver databases are not present or outdated
resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
resolvers       | resolving | remembered file 'mtx-context.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
mtxrun          | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'

So it looks like the script first-setup.bat needs some finetuning. The
script context expects a file:
    c:/contextminimal/texmf-local/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
there is a directory:
  C:\context\tex\texmf-local
but this directory is empty.

Is the script wrong, or am I doing something wrong? Under Linux I did not
have a problem.

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: Installing ConTeXt in Windows (XP)
@ 2011-08-12 15:24 ` Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2011-08-12 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 18:14, Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com> wrote:
> I like to install ConTeXt on a Windows (XP) machine (so I can make an
> installation manual). I use:
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone#Installation_and_use_on_Windows
>
> The preferable setup would be with the GUI. But when I do this. I get:
>     update failed
>     Error code: 1
> and
>     Make failed
>     Error code: 1
>
> What is happening here?

That has been broken for a looonnng while and I know, I should've
gotten around to working with Vyatcheslav on it [I found an extra
problem while trying it on Win7], but that just hasn't happened.

In the mean while, see if this helps:
<http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Simple_Windows_Installation>,
especially the note at
<http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Simple_Windows_Installation#Step_1:_Download_all_bits_and_pieces>.

I had a real fight with my 64-bit Win7 over the installation and then
I just decided to give up and try again the next working day and shut
down the computer. And lo and behold, when I booted it up the next
work morning, everything worked - so I guess I didn't boot it often
enough.

Hmm.... I think I'm currently using an XP that's never had ConTeXt on
it. And I have the admin priviledges... I might give it a try Sunday
or Monday, if you can't get your installation sorted out before that!

Mari

* Re: Installing ConTeXt in Windows (XP)
@ 2011-08-12 15:56   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-08-12 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/8/12 Mari Voipio <mari.voipio@iki.fi>

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 18:14, Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I like to install ConTeXt on a Windows (XP) machine (so I can make an
> > installation manual). I use:
> >

> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone#Installation_and_use_on_Windows
> >
> > The preferable setup would be with the GUI. But when I do this. I get:
> >     update failed
> >     Error code: 1
> > and
> >     Make failed
> >     Error code: 1
> >
> > What is happening here?
>
> That has been broken for a looonnng while and I know, I should've
> gotten around to working with Vyatcheslav on it [I found an extra
> problem while trying it on Win7], but that just hasn't happened.

I do not want to be obnoxious, but should the WiKi not have been updated
then?

In the mean while, see if this helps:
> <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Simple_Windows_Installation>,
> especially the note at
> <
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Simple_Windows_Installation#Step_1:_Download_all_bits_and_pieces
> >.

I'll do that. Can it also be installed with TeXworks?

I had a real fight with my 64-bit Win7 over the installation and then
> I just decided to give up and try again the next working day and shut
> down the computer. And lo and behold, when I booted it up the next
> work morning, everything worked - so I guess I didn't boot it often
> enough.

That is a very annoying thing: rebooting 'resolves' problems under Windows.

> Hmm.... I think I'm currently using an XP that's never had ConTeXt on
> it. And I have the admin priviledges... I might give it a try Sunday
> or Monday, if you can't get your installation sorted out before that!

I hope I will have, but if not, I would appreciate this very much.

--

@ 2011-08-12 16:08 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2011-08-12 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

by coincidence I installed ConTeXt on an XP-Windows today.
What I did is:

1. Download the http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/context-setup-mswin.zip
2. Unpack the zip.
3. run first-setup.bat
4. Added the texmf-fonts-folder and the texmf-project folder from the MacOsX installation.
5. run yourpath/setuptex.bat yourpath/tex/
6. context --generate
7. context --make

And it works.
I use Scite under Windows and I have no exp. with TeXworks. The problem there is to learn TeXworks to use the minimals.
Wscite was already there on the windows box.
Because I did not use this for a long time I copied the *.properties files from /texmf-context/context/config/data/scite to the home directory of the user and placed the *.lua file in the wscite directory.
It keeps working without any struggle.

Willi

@ 2011-08-12 16:14     ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-08-12 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/8/12 Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com>

> In the mean while, see if this helps:
>
>> <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Simple_Windows_Installation>,
>> especially the note at
>> <
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Simple_Windows_Installation#Step_1:_Download_all_bits_and_pieces
>> >.

That does the same as where I had a problem with.

The manager wants to close for the weekend. So I'll have to try Willi's
solution when I am home. (There I have Vista I think -I almost never work at
home with Windows-, but I hope that what work in Vista, will work in XP
also.)

--

@ 2011-08-12 16:20     ` Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2011-08-12 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 18:56, Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That has been broken for a looonnng while and I know, I should've
>> gotten around to working with Vyatcheslav on it [I found an extra
>> problem while trying it on Win7], but that just hasn't happened.
>
> I do not want to be obnoxious, but should the WiKi not have been updated
> then?

Probably. Personally, I always get lost among the installation pages
and end up on the one that's "mine", so I haven't even tried to figure
out where else to put that note. I don't know if there are any other
non-techy "Windows only" people in this crows, so most won't ever
stumble on this particular problem. :-D

Besides, Real Life interfered and I spent 8 months away from ConTeXt,
I'm currently trying to get back in gear. I will have to, because the
user manual I'm working on should look reasonably good by the end of
August.

>> In the mean while, see if this helps:
>> <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Simple_Windows_Installation>,
>> especially the note at
>>
>> <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Simple_Windows_Installation#Step_1:_Download_all_bits_and_pieces>.
>
> I'll do that. Can it also be installed with TeXworks?

I've never tried. I don't do any other TeX stuff than ConTeXt and I've
kind of gotten used to SciTe since the time of the first Windows
standalone distro, so I haven't had the need to try anything else.
(And my ConTeXting goes strictly on "need-to-know" basis...)

>> Hmm.... I think I'm currently using an XP that's never had ConTeXt on
>> it. And I have the admin priviledges... I might give it a try Sunday
>> or Monday, if you can't get your installation sorted out before that!
>
> I hope I will have, but if not, I would appreciate this very much.

Well, Willi already gave you something better to work on, hopefully
that helps. But I should probably try his method on the old XP and
then fix the wiki, too. And then see, if we can get the GUI to work
again, because it was really nice. And once I master XP, try
installing on another W7, it would be good anyway to have more than
one computer to run ConTeXt on, just in case Mr. Murphy visits the day
before deadline or something!

Been there, done that,

Mari

* Re: Installing ConTeXt in Windows (XP)
@ 2011-08-12 20:36       ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2011-08-12 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Cecil

just out of curiosity I installed TeXWorks under Windows (XP).

In order to let TeXWorks use the minimals one needs to set things up.

1. create a batch file e.g. TW-context.bat with the following content:

call c:\context\tex\setuptex.bat c:\context\tex
context "%~dpn1.tex"

I saved the file in the Owners folder.
Of course the path in the call statement must reflect the situation on your machine.

2 Start TeXWorks
3 Open under 'Edit' 'Preferences' and there the tab 'Typeseting'
4 Add in the top window with plus the path to the batch-file e.g. C:/Documents and Settings/Owner
5 Add with + in the processing tools window a new entry, fill the configuration screen in: Name: e.g. ContextMKIV
6 Fill the Programme: (easiest with the Browse button) C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/TW-context.bat
7 Add with + an new argument and fill in $basename
8 Click the checkbox to have TW showing the generated pdf
9 Click OK
10 Change the default tool to be used to ContextMKIV
11 Click OK

and you are done!

Have fun

Willi