From: luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com>
To: Ulrike Fischer <news3@nililand.de>,
Subject: Re: improving kannada script
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 14:16:24 +0100	[thread overview]

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 1:05 PM Ulrike Fischer <news3@nililand.de> wrote:

> Am Fri, 2 Nov 2018 12:53:02 +0100 schrieb luigi scarso:
>

> >> You could try https://github.com/khaledhosny/luahbtex. Khaled is
> >> trying to marry luatex + harfbuzz there
>
> > sure, it's hardcoded , the final binary is quite heavy ...
> > Anyway, I am talking of dll/so  plugin and tool,
> > it's  more  on the track of
> > https://www.guitex.org/home/images/ArsTeXnica/AT023/luaffi-article.pdf
>
> Well we (some of the latex team) tried to test this as we have quite
> an interest to have an option to use harfbuzz for some fonts but not
> every code needed seems to be available publicitly.
>
> it's complex thing...  a binding depends on lua API and
the target lib API .. At that time the lua API was still in flux
(so a swiglib binding is not so useful) and the luaffi interface
non tested (just see the apart on the FFT) .
A (stable) luaffi could resolve the luatex side of  the binding
and being lua code is more easy to adapt if the  target API changes.

Also if I remember correctly this requires --shell-escape and this
> is not really sensible for a user interface.

 it's the context ml,   enable system commands is default (and we are still
here :-)  . Anyway ConteXt has a sandbox too. )

But yes, the
--safer                       disable easily exploitable lua commands
   --[no-]shell-escape           disable/enable system commands
   --shell-restricted            restrict system commands to a list of
commands given in texmf.cnf
are part of the picture. Hans and I  have to discuss this point.

Just to say: on my linux box, xetex from the official deb package has not
hb hardcoded:
# ldd `which  xetex `
linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffcb26d2000)
libharfbuzz-icu.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libharfbuzz-icu.so.0
(0x00007f5fe89c5000)
libharfbuzz.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libharfbuzz.so.0
(0x00007f5fe8727000)
Even if I set all the paranoia flags, xetex will  load these shared objects.
With a luaffi things doesn't change, the point is that luatex will load the
libs only when/if  the user (script) will  to do.
Of course, the xetex from texlive is statically compiled ... well almost. I
still see freetype as shared object.
Anyway, as I have said I am now focused on this issue now because I would
like to complete/fix it for the next texlive.

(to be honest: I think that all these safer shell-* switches are a bit
outdated nowadays, but they are there and I don't think they will disappear
. )

--
luigi