On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM, Hans Hagen wrote: > On 10/3/2013 12:35 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote: > >> >> Am 03.10.2013 um 12:26 schrieb H. van der Meer : >> >> If I remember well, framedtext sets a localhsize for the width of its >>> content. I guess that is why boxedcolumns stays within the width specified. >>> But is there a specific reason why mixedcolumns in general does not? >>> >> >> The global settings for mixedcolumns are >> >> \setupmixedcolumns >> [maxwidth=\makeupwidth] >> >> which forces columns to use the width of the textblock but boxedcolumns >> uses this >> >> \definemixedcolumns >> [boxedcolumns] >> [maxwidth=\availablehsize] >> >> where the width of the columns depends on the available width of the >> environment, >> e.g. in a narrower environment or in a frame the you get shorter columns. >> > > also, boxedcolumns, as the name says, are for use in boxes while by > default mixedcolumns (unless set up as boxed) are operating at the page > level (the so called mvl) > > For the curious: mvl is the main vertical list , see books.google.com "The advanced Texbook" pag 295 -- luigi