On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 6:02 PM, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote: > Thanks, Mojca. Inspired by your suggestions, I did the following (which > should work on Ubuntu too, but I am using Debian testing > a.k.a. stretch): > > $ dpkg --add-architecture i386 > $ apt update > $ apt install libc6-i386 > > and voila my old binaries from the minimal worked! > > There were other issues that aren't so easy to solve: > > 1. asymptote meanwhile is at version 2.35 instead of 2.31, which affects > figure sizes slightly. > > 2. graphviz and dot (for all the tree diagrams) were at version 2.26 and > are now at 2.28, which affects figure sizes somewhat and their layout > slightly. > > 3. Inkscape was 0.48 and is now 0.91. That affected the conversion from > svg to eps of one figure. That I worked around by just using the > previously converted eps figure instead of the svg. > > All the changes above can affect the page and line breaks, but I tweaked > a bit until that didn't happen. > > It does show a general problem with large complex documents regarding > software versions. ConTeXt is the fastest-changing component, but the > other components also change, and one needs a way to preserve the entire > software stack. > > That's a software-engineering problem, and maybe others have found > solutions? > > My first book (_Street-Fighting Mathematics_) is frozen with its typos > because I cannot reproduce its stack at all, so all the new printings > get the old typos. Through bad luck, at the time (2009) I happened to > have a never-released version of the tex fonts, now long overwritten by > proper versions, and I also didn't use a ConTeXt minimal back then, so I > don't have the other binaries and TeX in the right form. > > Have you seen this site ? http://ftp.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/historic/systems/texlive/ -- luigi