* simple question on kerning activation
@ 2012-11-26 19:01 Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2012-11-26 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

I have the following file to check a feature in FreeSerif:

\setuppapersize[A4,landscape]
\usemodule[simplefonts][size=30pt]
\setmainfont[FreeSerif]
\starttext

dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par
{\em dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par}
{\bf dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par}
{\bf\em dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par}
\stoptext

Sorry for the stupid question: isn't it font kerning (not kern OT table,
but traditional non-OT kerning) enabled when compiling this source?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: simple question on kerning activation
@ 2012-11-26 20:39 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-11-26 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/26/2012 8:01 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have the following file to check a feature in FreeSerif:
>
> \setuppapersize[A4,landscape]
> \usemodule[simplefonts][size=30pt]
> \setmainfont[FreeSerif]
> \starttext
>
> dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par
> {\em dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par}
> {\bf dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par}
> {\bf\em dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par}
> \stoptext
>
> Sorry for the stupid question: isn't it font kerning (not kern OT table,
> but traditional non-OT kerning) enabled when compiling this source?

kerning is *always* driven by the font, given that the font has kerns
(not all fonts need them)

you can see kern sin action with:

\starttext

     \showfontkerns \input ward

\stoptext

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-11-26 22:04   ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2012-11-26 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26/11/12 21:39, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 11/26/2012 8:01 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>> Sorry for the stupid question: isn't it font kerning (not kern OT table,
>> but traditional non-OT kerning) enabled when compiling this source?
>
> kerning is *always* driven by the font, given that the font has kerns
> (not all fonts need them)

Thanks for your reply, Hans.

Sorry, my question was inaccurate.

I know that kerning information is in the font, but it is ConTeXt that
uses this information (or not).

As far as I know, there are two kinds of kerningns: an OT kern feature
from the GPOS table and an old TrueType 'kern' table.

In the following sample OpenType features aren't enabled:

\usemodule[simplefonts][size=30pt]
\setmainfont[FreeSerif]
\starttext
dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par
{\em dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par}
{\bf dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par}
{\bf\em dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par}
\stoptext

I'm using TrueType fonts of FreeSerif. Isn't the TrueType 'kern' enabled
by default in ConTeXt? (The glyphs in the example above have no kerning
at all, so I wonder whether at least the TrueType 'kern' table should be
used by ConTeXt.)

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--

@ 2012-11-26 22:46     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-11-26 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/26/2012 11:04 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
> On 26/11/12 21:39, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 11/26/2012 8:01 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>>> Sorry for the stupid question: isn't it font kerning (not kern OT table,
>>> but traditional non-OT kerning) enabled when compiling this source?
>>
>> kerning is *always* driven by the font, given that the font has kerns
>> (not all fonts need them)
>
> Thanks for your reply, Hans.
>
> Sorry, my question was inaccurate.
>
> I know that kerning information is in the font, but it is ConTeXt that
> uses this information (or not).
>
> As far as I know, there are two kinds of kerningns: an OT kern feature
> from the GPOS table and an old TrueType 'kern' table.
>
> In the following sample OpenType features aren't enabled:
>
> \usemodule[simplefonts][size=30pt]
> \setmainfont[FreeSerif]
> \starttext
> dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par
> {\em dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par}
> {\bf dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par}
> {\bf\em dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par}
> \stoptext
>
> I'm using TrueType fonts of FreeSerif. Isn't the TrueType 'kern' enabled
> by default in ConTeXt? (The glyphs in the example above have no kerning
> at all, so I wonder whether at least the TrueType 'kern' table should be
> used by ConTeXt.)

Sure, kern tables are used and are quite valid in open type as well
(open type includes truetype).

I see lots of kerns in:

\starttext

     \startTEXpage[offset=10pt]

         \definedfont[file:freeserif.ttf*default] \showfontkerns \input ward

     \stopTEXpage

\stoptext

I assume simplefonts uses the default featureset

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-11-26 23:11     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-11-26 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.11.2012 um 23:04 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de>:

> On 26/11/12 21:39, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 11/26/2012 8:01 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>>> Sorry for the stupid question: isn't it font kerning (not kern OT table,
>>> but traditional non-OT kerning) enabled when compiling this source?
>>
>> kerning is *always* driven by the font, given that the font has kerns
>> (not all fonts need them)
>
> Thanks for your reply, Hans.
>
> Sorry, my question was inaccurate.
>
> I know that kerning information is in the font, but it is ConTeXt that
> uses this information (or not).
>
> As far as I know, there are two kinds of kerningns: an OT kern feature
> from the GPOS table and an old TrueType 'kern' table.
>
> In the following sample OpenType features aren't enabled:
>
> \usemodule[simplefonts][size=30pt]
> \setmainfont[FreeSerif]
> \starttext
> dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par
> {\em dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par}
> {\bf dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par}
> {\bf\em dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par}
> \stoptext
>
> I'm using TrueType fonts of FreeSerif. Isn't the TrueType 'kern' enabled
> by default in ConTeXt? (The glyphs in the example above have no kerning
> at all, so I wonder whether at least the TrueType 'kern' table should be
> used by ConTeXt.)

Is there a difference between the two lines?

\usemodule[simplefonts]
\setmainfont[FreeSerif]
\starttext
\showfontkerns
dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par
{\definedfont[file:serif*default]dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par}
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: simple question on kerning activation
@ 2012-11-27 16:57       ` Pablo Rodríguez
       [not found]         ` <50B4F2B9.4070206@wxs.nl>
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2012-11-27 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26/11/12 23:46, Hans Hagen wrote:
> [...]
> Sure, kern tables are used and are quite valid in open type as well
> (open type includes truetype).
>
> I see lots of kerns in:
>
> \starttext
>      \startTEXpage[offset=10pt]
>          \definedfont[file:freeserif.ttf*default] \showfontkerns \input ward
>      \stopTEXpage
> \stoptext

Well, I don't see any kern.

Using ConTeXt - 2012.11.26 13:31 + LuaTeX-0.70.1.

What is wrong here?

Pablo
--

@ 2012-11-27 16:59       ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2012-11-27 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27/11/12 00:11, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> [...]
> Is there a difference between the two lines?
>
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
> \setmainfont[FreeSerif]
> \starttext
> \showfontkerns
> dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par
> {\definedfont[file:serif*default]dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par}
> \stoptext

No. None has any kerning.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--

@ 2012-11-27 17:11         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-11-27 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de> wrote:
> On 27/11/12 00:11, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> [...]
>> Is there a difference between the two lines?
>>
>> \usemodule[simplefonts]
>> \setmainfont[FreeSerif]
>> \starttext
>> \showfontkerns
>> dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par
>> {\definedfont[file:serif*default]dadedidodufafefifofufrflftlalelilolutatetitotu\par}
>> \stoptext
>
> No. None has any kerning.

I see this and I believe that there are kerning -- or not ?

--
luigi

[-- Attachment #2: test-1-1.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 70094 bytes --]

@ 2012-11-27 17:36           ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2012-11-27 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27/11/12 18:04, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>> I see lots of kerns in:
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>>       \startTEXpage[offset=10pt]
>>>           \definedfont[file:freeserif.ttf*default] \showfontkerns \input ward
>>>       \stopTEXpage
>>> \stoptext
>>
>> Well, I don't see any kern.
>
> attached

Mine attached to (excluding source)

>> Using ConTeXt - 2012.11.26 13:31 + LuaTeX-0.70.1.
>>
>> What is wrong here?
>
> maybe the logs reveal something

BTW, on my computer fontconfig isn't able to find many system fonts. But
I guess this isn't the cause, since ConTeXt deals directly with the fonts.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

[-- Attachment #2: kern.tuc --]
[-- Type: application/tamp-update-confirm, Size: 8380 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: kern.pdf --]
[-- Type: application/binary, Size: 18317 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: kern.log --]
[-- Type: text/x-log, Size: 6374 bytes --]

(/opt/ctxbeta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-yes.mkiv

ConTeXt  ver: 2012.11.26 13:31 MKIV  fmt: 2012.11.27  int: english/english

system          > cont-new.mkiv loaded
(/opt/ctxbeta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkiv
system          > beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.mkiv
)
system          > files > jobname: kern, input: kern, result: kern
fonts           > latin modern fonts are not preloaded
languages       > language en is active
(kern.tex{/opt/ctxbeta/tex/texmf-context/fonts/map/pdftex/context/mkiv-base.map}
fonts           > preloading latin modern fonts (second stage)
fonts           > typescripts > unknown: library 'loc'
{/opt/ctxbeta/tex/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-math.map}{/opt/ctxbeta/tex/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-rm.map}
fonts           > fallback modern rm 12pt is loaded

% begin of command line arguments
%
% script               = true
% fulljobname          = ./kern.tex
% input                = ./kern.tex
% no-parse-first-line  = true
% kindofrun            = 2
% currentrun           = 3
%
% end of command line arguments

% begin of command line files
%
% 1  ./kern.tex
%
% end of command line files

visualize       > enabled
(/opt/ctxbeta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/sample/ward.tex)
backend         > xmp > using file '/opt/ctxbeta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/lpdf-pdx.xml'
pages           > flushing realpage 1, userpage 1
 ) )</usr/share/fonts/ousia-fonts/FreeSerif.ttf>

system          > files > start used files

used files      >    1: filename=cont-yes.mkiv | filetype=tex | foundname=/opt/ctxbeta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-yes.mkiv | usedmethod=database
used files      >    2: filename=cont-new.mkiv | filetype=tex | foundname=/opt/ctxbeta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkiv | usedmethod=database
used files      >    3: filename=lang-us.lua | filetype=lua | foundname=/opt/ctxbeta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/patterns/lang-us.lua | usedmethod=database
used files      >    4: filename=kern.tex | foundname=kern.tex | usedmethod=direct
used files      >    5: filename=mkiv-base.map | filetype=map | format=map | foundname=/opt/ctxbeta/tex/texmf-context/fonts/map/pdftex/context/mkiv-base.map | usedmethod=database
used files      >    6: filename=lm.lfg | filetype=tex | foundname=/opt/ctxbeta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/fonts/lm.lfg | usedmethod=database
used files      >    7: filename=lm-math.lfg | filetype=tex | foundname=/opt/ctxbeta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/fonts/lm-math.lfg | usedmethod=database
used files      >    8: filename=lm-math.map | filetype=map | format=map | foundname=/opt/ctxbeta/tex/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-math.map | usedmethod=database
used files      >    9: filename=lm-rm.map | filetype=map | format=map | foundname=/opt/ctxbeta/tex/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-rm.map | usedmethod=database
used files      >   10: filename=lmroman12-regular | filetype=otf | format=otf | foundname=/opt/ctxbeta/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman12-regular.otf | usedmethod=database
used files      >   11: filename=lmmath-regular.otf | filetype=opentypefonts | foundname=/opt/ctxbeta/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmmath-regular.otf | usedmethod=database
used files      >   12: filename=lmmath-regular.otf | filetype=otf | format=otf | foundname=/opt/ctxbeta/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmmath-regular.otf | usedmethod=database
used files      >   13: filename=/usr/share/fonts/ousia-fonts/FreeSerif.ttf | format=ttf | foundname=/usr/share/fonts/ousia-fonts/FreeSerif.ttf | usedmethod=direct
used files      >   14: filename=lmmonoltcond10-regular.otf | filetype=otf | format=otf | foundname=/opt/ctxbeta/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmmonoltcond10-regular.otf | usedmethod=database
used files      >   15: filename=ward | filetype=tex | foundname=/opt/ctxbeta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/sample/ward.tex | usedmethod=database
used files      >   16: filename=lpdf-pdx.xml | filetype=tex | foundname=/opt/ctxbeta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/lpdf-pdx.xml | usedmethod=database

system          > files > stop used files

system          > structure > start used structure

used structure  > text: kern

system          > structure > stop used structure

mkiv lua stats  > used config file          - selfautoparent:/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua
mkiv lua stats  > used cache path           - readable: '/home/ousia/luatex-cache/context/5fe67e0bfe781ce0dde776fb1556f32e' (order 2)
mkiv lua stats  > used cache path           - writable: '/home/ousia/luatex-cache/context/5fe67e0bfe781ce0dde776fb1556f32e'
mkiv lua stats  > resource resolver         - loadtime 0.033 seconds, 1 scans with scantime 0.008 seconds, 0 shared scans, 16 found files, scanned paths: /usr/share/fonts
mkiv lua stats  > stored bytecode data      - 313 modules (0.300 sec), 67 tables (0.010 sec), 380 chunks (0.310 sec)
mkiv lua stats  > cleaned up reserved nodes - 41 nodes, 9 lists of 441
mkiv lua stats  > node memory usage         - 4 glue, 4 penalty, 15 attribute, 30 glue_spec, 5 attribute_list, 1 pdf_literal
mkiv lua stats  > node list callback tasks  - 6 unique task lists, 5 instances (re)created, 32 calls
mkiv lua stats  > used backend              - pdf (backend for directly generating pdf output)
mkiv lua stats  > loaded patterns           - en::2
mkiv lua stats  > jobdata time              - 0.002 seconds saving, 0.001 seconds loading
mkiv lua stats  > callbacks                 - 119 direct, 166 indirect, 285 total
mkiv lua stats  > randomizer                - resumed with value 0.3491570029171
mkiv lua stats  > lxml preparation time     - 0.000 seconds, 0 nodes, 15 lpath calls, 0 cached calls
mkiv lua stats  > result saved in file      - kern.pdf, compresslevel 3, objectcompreslevel 3
mkiv lua stats  > loaded fonts              - 4 files: lmmath-regular.otf lmmonoltcond10-regular.otf lmroman12-regular.otf freeserif.ttf
mkiv lua stats  > fonts load time           - 0.704 seconds
mkiv lua stats  > visualization time        - 0.001 seconds
mkiv lua stats  > luatex banner             - this is luatex, version beta-0.70.1-2012052416 (rev 4277)
mkiv lua stats  > control sequences         - 35985 of 65536 + 100000
mkiv lua stats  > current memory usage      - 36 MB (ctx: 37 MB)
mkiv lua stats  > runtime                   - 1.404 seconds, 1 processed pages, 1 shipped pages, 0.712 pages/second

* Re: simple question on kerning activation
@ 2012-11-27 17:42             ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-11-27 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de> wrote:
> \starttext

this is mine

--
luigi

[-- Attachment #2: test-3.pdf --]

* Re: simple question on kerning activation
@ 2012-11-27 17:46               ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2012-11-27 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27/11/12 18:42, luigi scarso wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de> wrote:
>> \starttext
>>>>
> this is mine

Something must be wrong with my configuration, since i don't even get
all kerns using the OT kern feature.

Any ideas of what could be wrong?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--

@ 2012-11-27 17:49                 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-11-27 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de> wrote:
> On 27/11/12 18:42, luigi scarso wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de> wrote:
>>> \starttext
>>>>>
>> this is mine
>
> Something must be wrong with my configuration, since i don't even get
> all kerns using the OT kern feature.
>
> Any ideas of what could be wrong?

hm, no.
In this situation I usually reinstall context on a new folder, or
rerun first-setup

--
luigi

* Re: simple question on kerning activation
@ 2012-11-27 17:56             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-11-27 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/27/2012 6:36 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

>>> Well, I don't see any kern.
>>
>> attached
>
> Mine attached to (excluding source)
>
>>> Using ConTeXt - 2012.11.26 13:31 + LuaTeX-0.70.1.
>>>
>>> What is wrong here?
>>
>> maybe the logs reveal something
>
> BTW, on my computer fontconfig isn't able to find many system fonts. But
> I guess this isn't the cause, since ConTeXt deals directly with the fonts.

the font gets included .. so maybe someone else should also test it

> Many thanks for your help,

are you sure that the font is okay? mine is 1.687.516 bytes

btw, the font has kerns (gpos feature using classes)

mtxrun --script font --save freeserif.ttf

shows the internals (in a lua file)

mtxrun --script font --list --info --file freeserif.ttf

shows all features

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: simple question on kerning activation
@ 2012-11-27 19:34               ` Pablo Rodríguez
                                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2012-11-27 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27/11/12 18:56, Hans Hagen wrote:

> [...]
> the font gets included .. so maybe someone else should also test it
>
> are you sure that the font is okay? mine is 1.687.516 bytes

Probably my font is newer (from
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/freefont/freefont-ttf-20120503.zip).

I think there is no file clash, since ConTeXt standalone doesn't provide
the font

> btw, the font has kerns (gpos feature using classes)
>
> mtxrun --script font --save freeserif.ttf
>
> shows the internals (in a lua file)
>
> mtxrun --script font --list --info --file freeserif.ttf
>
> shows all features

Well, I know that the font has kern as OpenType feature, but I need it
to have the TrueType kern table (not the OpenType feature).

At least on my ConTeXt installation, OpenType features aren't enabled by
default.

I used ConTeXt to check the font wrong kerns that my ereader (Sony
PRS-T1) showed with this font.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--

@ 2012-11-27 21:34                 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-11-27 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 27.11.2012 um 20:34 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de>:

>> [...]
>> the font gets included .. so maybe someone else should also test it
>>
>> are you sure that the font is okay? mine is 1.687.516 bytes
>
> Probably my font is newer (from
> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/freefont/freefont-ttf-20120503.zip).
>
> I think there is no file clash, since ConTeXt standalone doesn't provide the font

The font files from the gnu page have no kerning but the files from
http://de.fonts2u.com/free-serif.schriftart have kerning information.

Wolfgang

* Re: simple question on kerning activation
@ 2012-11-27 21:39                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-11-27 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/27/2012 8:34 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

 > Probably my font is newer (from
> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/freefont/freefont-ttf-20120503.zip).

i got it from:

http://www.fonts2u.com/

> At least on my ConTeXt installation, OpenType features aren't enabled by
> default.

hard to believe

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-11-27 21:43                   ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2012-11-27 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27/11/12 22:34, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 27.11.2012 um 20:34 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de>:
> [...]
>> Probably my font is newer (from
>> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/freefont/freefont-ttf-20120503.zip).
>>
>> I think there is no file clash, since ConTeXt standalone doesn't provide the font
>
> The font files from the gnu page have no kerning but the files from
> http://de.fonts2u.com/free-serif.schriftart have kerning information.

Many thanks for your reply, Wolfgang.

I'd like to report this to the font developer (he has assured me that
the fonts have kerning).

How have you discovered that the Savannah FreeSerif fonts have no
kerning info?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--

@ 2012-11-27 21:48                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-11-27 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/27/2012 8:34 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

>> [...]
>> the font gets included .. so maybe someone else should also test it
>>
>> are you sure that the font is okay? mine is 1.687.516 bytes
>
> Probably my font is newer (from
> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/freefont/freefont-ttf-20120503.zip).

that version misses a dflt,dflt -> kern definition so you need to add:

\definefontfeature[default][default][script=latn]

at the top of your document

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-11-27 21:58                     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-11-27 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 27.11.2012 um 22:43 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de>:

> On 27/11/12 22:34, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Am 27.11.2012 um 20:34 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de>:
>> [...]
>>> Probably my font is newer (from
>>> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/freefont/freefont-ttf-20120503.zip).
>>>
>>> I think there is no file clash, since ConTeXt standalone doesn't provide the font
>>
>> The font files from the gnu page have no kerning but the files from
>> http://de.fonts2u.com/free-serif.schriftart have kerning information.
>
> Many thanks for your reply, Wolfgang.
>
> I'd like to report this to the font developer (he has assured me that
> the fonts have kerning).
>
> How have you discovered that the Savannah FreeSerif fonts have no
> kerning info?

That’s not what I wanted to write. I had the same thought as Hans with the missing
for the “default” script (AFAIR this was also a problem with other fonts in the past)
but I wanted to test it first but he was faster than me.

Wolfgang

* Re: simple question on kerning activation
@ 2012-11-27 22:10                       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-11-27 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 27.11.2012 um 22:43 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de>:
>
>> On 27/11/12 22:34, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>> Am 27.11.2012 um 20:34 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de>:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> The font files from the gnu page have no kerning but the files from
>>> http://de.fonts2u.com/free-serif.schriftart have kerning information.
>>
>> Many thanks for your reply, Wolfgang.
>>
>> I'd like to report this to the font developer (he has assured me that
>> the fonts have kerning).
>>
>> How have you discovered that the Savannah FreeSerif fonts have no
>> kerning info?
>
> That’s not what I wanted to write. I had the same thought as Hans with the missing
> for the “default” script (AFAIR this was also a problem with other fonts in the past)
> but I wanted to test it first but he was faster than me.

Normally context will automatically fall back on latn but does so by
looking at the feature list. These fonts support so many scripts that
it's not possible.

You (pablo) can report to the font designer that for features like
kerning a dflt,dflt pair makes sense.

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-11-28  9:01           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-11-28  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/27/2012 6:11 PM, luigi scarso wrote:

> I see this and I believe that there are kerning -- or not ?

yes, lots of them

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-11-28  9:13             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-11-28  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 28.11.2012 um 10:01 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:

> On 11/27/2012 6:11 PM, luigi scarso wrote:
>
>> I see this and I believe that there are kerning -- or not ?
>
> yes, lots of them

I tried your example with a few other fonts and none of them kerned so much and all of them had a good spacing for the text.

Wolfgang

* Re: simple question on kerning activation
@ 2012-11-28 17:17                         ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2012-11-28 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27/11/12 23:10, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Normally context will automatically fall back on latn but does so by
> looking at the feature list. These fonts support so many scripts that
> it's not possible.
>
> You (pablo) can report to the font designer that for features like
> kerning a dflt,dflt pair makes sense.

Thank you very much, Hans, Wolfgang and Luigi for your help.

Sorry for the messages, but I used ConTeXt to check whether old
traditional kerning was enabled on FreeSerif fonts (not as OpenType
features). This is actually for an ereader.

As far as I know, I have to enable the Latin script in ConTeXt in all
the fonts I use with include OT features. That's fine for me.

What I couldn't understand before was that I was getting less kerns even
with the OpenType feature enabled. I took me a while to understand that
those kerns that weren't showing off in my file (my guess) were removed
in the latest version of FreeSerif.

BTW, I need to enable the Latin script even for features that belong to
other scripts, such as in Theano Didot (those contextual alternatives
and stylistic set 11 belong to the Greek script):

\usemodule[simplefonts]
\definefontfeature[default][default][script=latn,calt=yes,ss11=yes]
\setmainfont[Theano Didot]
\starttext
\startTEXpage[offset=10pt]
βάρβαροι θαυμασθεὶς