* Square pens and dash pattern
@ 2016-04-05 23:44 Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2016-04-05 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

There appears to be a metapost bug with square pens and dash patterns:

\starttext

\startMPcode
     pickup pencircle scaled 1bp;
     drawarrow origin -- (5cm, 4cm) dashed evenly;
     pickup pensquare scaled 1bp;
     drawarrow origin -- (5cm,-4cm) dashed evenly;
\stopMPcode

\stoptext

Note that the second arrow is not dashed at all! This is not due to the
thick pen.

Aditya

* Re: Square pens and dash pattern
@ 2016-04-06  0:59 ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2016-04-06  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 19:44:33 -0400
Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

> There appears to be a metapost bug with square pens and dash patterns:

I confirm that dashed anything with a pensquare does not dash.

Alan

* Re: Square pens and dash pattern
@ 2016-04-06  7:52 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-04-06  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 4/6/2016 1:44 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There appears to be a metapost bug with square pens and dash patterns:
>
> \starttext
>
> \startMPcode
>      pickup pencircle scaled 1bp;
>      drawarrow origin -- (5cm, 4cm) dashed evenly;
>      pickup pensquare scaled 1bp;
>      drawarrow origin -- (5cm,-4cm) dashed evenly;
> \stopMPcode
>
> \stoptext
>
> Note that the second arrow is not dashed at all! This is not due to the
> thick pen.

pencircles make simple round pens that are mapped directly onto ps
primitives and there dashing applies (dashing is just passing data to
the backend) ... afaik other penshapes can result in a filled path so no
dashing applies

(but mp master luigi will tripple check it in the source for you so he
might come up with another answer)

(and after that, as mathematical challenge, alan will write a mp macro
that fakes the dashing)

Hans

* Re: Square pens and dash pattern
@ 2016-04-06  8:01   ` luigi scarso