On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 8:57 PM Thomas A. Schmitz wrote: > > One final thought: one limitation that I still find cumbersome to work > around is the fact that associative arrays ("pairs" in Lua speak) do not > have an order. When I analyze my texts, I want book numbers, chapters, > paragraphs preserved in the order in which they are read (entered into > the table). In many cases, it is not possible (or extremely awkward) to > sort these numbers, since chapters may be numbered something like 2, 2a, > 3, 3α, 3β etc. python has the OrderedDict() in its collections module. > In Lua, the best I could find was entering the chapter numbers into an > array (ipair) and then retrieve it from there. Maybe there is a better way? > > table.sort (list [, comp]) Sorts list elements in a given order, in-place, from list[1] to list[#list]. If comp is given, then it must be a function that receives two list elements and returns true when the first element must come before the second in the final order (so that, after the sort, i < j implies not comp(list[j],list[i])). If comp is not given, then the standard Lua operator < is used instead -- luigi