* Update problems
@ 2019-01-07 16:26 Weber, Matthias
From: Weber, Matthias @ 2019-01-07 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear List,

After a while I decided updating my ConTeXt installation to ConTeXt  ver: 2019.01.07 10:07 MKIV beta  fmt: 2019.1.7.

With an old document of mine I ran into two issues so far: Some of my old pdf images are not accepted as figures anymore.

Example:

\starttext
\externalfigure[cardioid.pdf][width=1.5in]{Cardioid}
\stoptext
Using the following pdf which is version 1.4

[-- Attachment #2: cardioid.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: ATT00001.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 214 bytes --]

More recent PDFs (1.5)seem to work.

Secondly, paper setup seems to require a new kind of massage.

\setuppapersize[S6][S6]

\starttext
\dorecurse{10}{\input knuth}
\input knuth
\stoptext

produces

[-- Attachment #4: test0.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #5: ATT00002.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 103 bytes --]

On the other hand, the garden version looks ok. What could be wrong on my end?

Thanks!

Matthias

* Re: Update problems
@ 2019-01-07 17:47 ` Weber, Matthias
From: Weber, Matthias @ 2019-01-07 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Update:

The page setup works after Hans’ fix. Thanks, that was a relief.
I still don’t know what’s going on with PDF inclusion. The ones that cause trouble are kind of old (from 2005), and I could “upgrade”
Them manually and things work now for this document. I have others that might cause problems, too. Unfortunately, the error message only tells which page couldn’t be flushed but not what figure is causing issues. Going through a hundred figures and trying whether they work is somewhat painful.

A more verbose error message would be helpful, or a hint what has changed with pdf import.

Thanks,

Matthias

> On Jan 7, 2019, at 11:26 AM, Weber, Matthias <matweber@indiana.edu> wrote:
>
> Dear List,
>
> After a while I decided updating my ConTeXt installation to ConTeXt  ver: 2019.01.07 10:07 MKIV beta  fmt: 2019.1.7.
>
> With an old document of mine I ran into two issues so far: Some of my old pdf images are not accepted as figures anymore.
>
> Example:
>
> \starttext
> \externalfigure[cardioid.pdf][width=1.5in]{Cardioid}
> \stoptext
> Using the following pdf which is version 1.4
>
> <cardioid.pdf>
> More recent PDFs (1.5)seem to work.
>
> Secondly, paper setup seems to require a new kind of massage.
>
> \setuppapersize[S6][S6]
>
> \starttext
> \dorecurse{10}{\input knuth}
> \input knuth
> \stoptext
>
> produces
>
> <test0.pdf>
> On the other hand, the garden version looks ok. What could be wrong on my end?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Matthias___________________________________________________________________________________

> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net

* Re: Update problems
@ 2019-01-07 17:57   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-01-07 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/7/2019 6:47 PM, Weber, Matthias wrote:
> Update:
>
> The page setup works after Hans’ fix. Thanks, that was a relief.
> I still don’t know what’s going on with PDF inclusion. The ones that cause trouble are kind of old (from 2005), and I could “upgrade”

we found the reason

but anyway, looking at this pdf file it makes sense to save as pdf from
illustrator because now you basically use the illustrator edit file
(with a lot of crap in it) and also some versioning (i suspect that the
xref is also bad so then you depend on recovering capabilities of readers)

> Them manually and things work now for this document. I have others that might cause problems, too. Unfortunately, the error message only tells which page couldn’t be flushed but not what figure is causing issues. Going through a hundred figures and trying whether they work is somewhat painful.
>
> A more verbose error message would be helpful, or a hint what has changed with pdf import.
only the library, not in the way inclusion works

Hans

* Re: Update problems
@ 2019-01-07 17:57   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2019-01-07 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
luigi

* Re: Update problems
@ 2019-01-07 18:14     ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2019-01-07 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 18:57:41 +0100
Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> looking at this pdf file it makes sense to save as pdf from
> illustrator because now you basically use the illustrator edit file
> (with a lot of crap in it) and also some versioning (i suspect that the
> xref is also bad so then you depend on recovering capabilities of readers)

I have worked with a large number of Adobe Illustrator files and have found that one *must* save them as PDFs in order for them to be reliably used anywhere outside of the Adobe world. One need not use Illustrator, for opening the .ai file in Adobe Reader and then saving it as a .pdf gets rid of all of the editing crap that is embedded.

Alan