* How to get the chapter number
@ 2011-07-06  8:48 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-07-06  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

At the moment I have the following in my document:
    In the chapters 7 to 12 a more in depth description of the
functionalities will be given.

For this document it is not a real problem. (I do not expect the chapter
structure to change often.) But it would be nicer to get the chapter numbers
auto generated. Is this possible?

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: How to get the chapter number
@ 2011-07-06  8:51 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-07-06  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com> wrote:
> At the moment I have the following in my document:
>     In the chapters 7 to 12 a more in depth description of the
> functionalities will be given.
>
> For this document it is not a real problem. (I do not expect the chapter
> structure to change often.) But it would be nicer to get the chapter numbers
> auto generated. Is this possible?
I (and I suppose others) don't understand your question.
Does not \chapter work ?

--
luigi

* Re: How to get the chapter number
@ 2011-07-06  9:01   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-07-06  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/7/6 luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com>

> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > At the moment I have the following in my document:
> >     In the chapters 7 to 12 a more in depth description of the
> > functionalities will be given.
> >
> > For this document it is not a real problem. (I do not expect the chapter
> > structure to change often.) But it would be nicer to get the chapter
> numbers
> > auto generated. Is this possible?
> I (and I suppose others) don't understand your question.
> Does not \chapter work ?

Sorry, communication is not my strong point. :-{

What I mean. I have something like:

\chapter{General description}
.
.
This is explained in chapters 7 to 12.
.
.
\chapter{another}
.
.
\chapter{first explaining}  % this is (now) chapter 7
 .
.
\chapter{last explaining} % this is (now) chapter 12

When chapters are added, moved or removed. The chapter numbers in the above
sentence have to be changed manually. As a real programmer I am lazy and
want the computer do it for me. :-D

--

@ 2011-07-06  9:04     ` Pontus Lurcock
From: Pontus Lurcock @ 2011-07-06  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Wed 06 Jul 2011, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> What I mean. I have something like:
>
> \chapter{General description}
> .
> .
> This is explained in chapters 7 to 12.
> .
> .
> \chapter{another}
> .
> .
> \chapter{first explaining}  % this is (now) chapter 7
>  .
> .
> \chapter{last explaining} % this is (now) chapter 12
>
> When chapters are added, moved or removed. The chapter numbers in the above
> sentence have to be changed manually. As a real programmer I am lazy and
> want the computer do it for me. :-D

See http://wiki.contextgarden.net/References .

Pont

* Re: How to get the chapter number
@ 2011-07-06  9:08     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-07-06  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/7/6 luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com>
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > At the moment I have the following in my document:
>> >     In the chapters 7 to 12 a more in depth description of the
>> > functionalities will be given.
>> >
>> > For this document it is not a real problem. (I do not expect the chapter
>> > structure to change often.) But it would be nicer to get the chapter
>> > numbers
>> > auto generated. Is this possible?
>> I (and I suppose others) don't understand your question.
>> Does not \chapter work ?
>
> Sorry, communication is not my strong point. :-{
>
> What I mean. I have something like:
>
> \chapter{General description}
> .
> .
> This is explained in chapters 7 to 12.
> .
> .
> \chapter{another}
> .
> .
> \chapter{first explaining}  % this is (now) chapter 7
>  .
> .
> \chapter{last explaining} % this is (now) chapter 12
>
> When chapters are added, moved or removed. The chapter numbers in the above
> sentence have to be changed manually. As a real programmer I am lazy and
> want the computer do it for me. :-D
This is a 32 years old TeX feature -- i.e. it doesn't hurt to know
TeX, as I've already said.
See pontus's answer.

--
luigi