* Weird position of equation numbers for long equations
@ 2015-05-14 13:54 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2015-05-14 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I suspect that the equation numbering in attachment
(eq-with-chapter.png) is wrong. Shouldnt't the number be positioned on
the right (not on the left)? And in case that this positioning on the
left is intentional: is there any way or setting to force the equation
number to be moved to the right?

In any case I suspect that the equation in question could somehow be
squeezed into the available space in one line. What's the best trick
to squeeze the equation into a single line? Some kind of "\hbox to
0pt{\hss [content] \hss}" trickery or does there exist something
better?

Minimum problematic example:

\starttext
\placeformula
\startformula
\dorecurse{28}{a+}
\stopformula
\stoptext

Thank you,
    Mojca

[-- Attachment #2: eq-no-chapter.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 33398 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: eq-with-chapter.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 32830 bytes --]

* Re: Weird position of equation numbers for long equations
@ 2015-05-14 15:33 ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2015-05-14 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 14 May 2015 15:54:16 +0200
Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I suspect that the equation numbering in attachment
> (eq-with-chapter.png) is wrong. Shouldnt't the number be positioned on
> the right (not on the left)? And in case that this positioning on the
> left is intentional: is there any way or setting to force the equation
> number to be moved to the right?
>
> In any case I suspect that the equation in question could somehow be
> squeezed into the available space in one line. What's the best trick
> to squeeze the equation into a single line? Some kind of "\hbox to
> 0pt{\hss [content] \hss}" trickery or does there exist something
> better?

Make a small angle approximation and express your angles in radians.
This simplifies the equation significantly... ;-)

(I know that this does not help much, but I couldn't resist!)

Alan

* Re: Weird position of equation numbers for long equations
@ 2015-05-14 15:45 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2015-05-14 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 14 May 2015, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I suspect that the equation numbering in attachment
> (eq-with-chapter.png) is wrong. Shouldnt't the number be positioned on
> the right (not on the left)? And in case that this positioning on the
> left is intentional: is there any way or setting to force the equation
> number to be moved to the right?

This is a bug in luatex:

http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=807

Aditya

* Re: Weird position of equation numbers for long equations
@ 2015-05-14 16:44   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2015-05-14 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 5:45 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Thu, 14 May 2015, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I suspect that the equation numbering in attachment
>> (eq-with-chapter.png) is wrong. Shouldnt't the number be positioned on
>> the right (not on the left)? And in case that this positioning on the
>> left is intentional: is there any way or setting to force the equation
>> number to be moved to the right?
>
> This is a bug in luatex:
>
> http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=807

Thanks.

I'll just put \cite[luatex_807] next to the equation then to make my
supervisor happy ;)

@BUGREPORT{luatex_807,
    title = "Bad position equation number Lualatex",
    journal = "LuaTeX bug tracker",
    number = 807,
    year = 2013,
    month = "feb",
    url = "http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=807",
}

Mojca

* Re: Weird position of equation numbers for long equations
@ 2015-05-14 16:57     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2015-05-14 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 14 May 2015 18:44:53 +0200
Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 5:45 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 May 2015, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I suspect that the equation numbering in attachment
> >> (eq-with-chapter.png) is wrong. Shouldnt't the number be
> >> positioned on the right (not on the left)? And in case that this
> >> positioning on the left is intentional: is there any way or
> >> setting to force the equation number to be moved to the right?
> >
> > This is a bug in luatex:
> >
> > http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=807
>
> Thanks.
>
> I'll just put \cite[luatex_807] next to the equation then to make my
> supervisor happy ;)
>
> @BUGREPORT{luatex_807,
>     title = "Bad position equation number Lualatex",
>     journal = "LuaTeX bug tracker",
>     number = 807,
>     year = 2013,
>     month = "feb",
>     url = "http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=807",
> }
>
> Mojca

\setupbtx [default:list:bugreport]
    [style=bold,color=red
--
Alan Braslau
CEA DSM-IRAMIS-SPEC

Alan

* Re: Weird position of equation numbers for long equations
@ 2015-05-14 17:24   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2015-05-14 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 5:45 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 May 2015, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>  Hi,
>>
>> I suspect that the equation numbering in attachment
>> (eq-with-chapter.png) is wrong. Shouldnt't the number be positioned on
>> the right (not on the left)? And in case that this positioning on the
>> left is intentional: is there any way or setting to force the equation
>> number to be moved to the right?
>>

> This is a bug in luatex:
>
> http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=807
>
> Aditya

isn't the the formula  simply too long ?

\starttext

\placeformula
\startformula
0\dorecurse{24}{+a}
\stopformula

\placeformula
\startformula
0\dorecurse{25}{+a}
\stopformula

\placeformula
\startformula
0\dorecurse{35}{+a}
\stopformula

--
luigi

* Re: Weird position of equation numbers for long equations
@ 2015-05-14 17:28     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2015-05-14 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 14 May 2015, luigi scarso wrote:

> On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 5:45 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 14 May 2015, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> I suspect that the equation numbering in attachment
>>> (eq-with-chapter.png) is wrong. Shouldnt't the number be positioned on
>>> the right (not on the left)? And in case that this positioning on the
>>> left is intentional: is there any way or setting to force the equation
>>> number to be moved to the right?
>>>

>> This is a bug in luatex:
>>
>> http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=807
>>
>> Aditya
>>

> isn't the the formula  simply too long ?

Yes. In tex and pdftex, when the formula is too long \eqno is placed on
the next line, shifted to the right. In luatex, the equation number is not
shifted.

Compare the output of

\hsize=2cm
$$a^2+b^2=c^2\eqno(1)$$
\bye

for pdftex and luatex.

Aditya

* Re: Weird position of equation numbers for long equations
@ 2015-05-14 17:56       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2015-05-14 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 7:28 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 May 2015, luigi scarso wrote:
>
>  On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 5:45 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  On Thu, 14 May 2015, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>>
>>>  Hi,

>>> This is a bug in luatex:
>>>
>>> http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=807
>>>
>>> Aditya
>>>

>>>  isn't the the formula  simply too long ?
>>

> Yes. In tex and pdftex, when the formula is too long \eqno is placed on
> the next line, shifted to the right. In luatex, the equation number is not
> shifted.
>
> Compare the output of
>
> \hsize=2cm
> $$a^2+b^2=c^2\eqno(1)$$
> \bye
>
> for pdftex and luatex.
>

> Ah ok
Following the link above for the tracker 807, I have made the patch

if ((eqno_box != null) && (eqno_w == 0) && !l) {
        tail_append(new_penalty(inf_penalty));
        shift_amount(eqno_box) = line_s + line_w - eqno_w;
        append_to_vlist(eqno_box);
        g2 = 0;

and now I have the pdf in attachment
--
luigi

[-- Attachment #2: test.pdf --]

* Re: Weird position of equation numbers for long equations
@ 2015-05-14 22:06         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-05-14 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/14/2015 7:56 PM, luigi scarso wrote:
> Ah ok
> Following the link above for the tracker 807, I have made the patch
>
> if ((eqno_box != null) && (eqno_w == 0) && !l) {
>          tail_append(new_penalty(inf_penalty));
>          shift_amount(eqno_box) = line_s + line_w - eqno_w;
>          append_to_vlist(eqno_box);
>          g2 = 0;
>
> and now I have the pdf in attachment

it will take a bit more work so no quick patch as we also need to check
what happens in r2l mode (the code is similar to pdftex but luatex has a
whole bunch of extra code related to directions)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-05-15 17:07           ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2015-05-15 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 12:06 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 5/14/2015 7:56 PM, luigi scarso wrote:
>
>> Ah ok
>> Following the link above for the tracker 807, I have made the patch
>>
>> if ((eqno_box != null) && (eqno_w == 0) && !l) {
>>          tail_append(new_penalty(inf_penalty));
>>          shift_amount(eqno_box) = line_s + line_w - eqno_w;
>>          append_to_vlist(eqno_box);
>>          g2 = 0;
>>
>> and now I have the pdf in attachment
>>

> it will take a bit more work so no quick patch as we also need to check
> what happens in r2l mode (the code is similar to pdftex but luatex has a
> whole bunch of extra code related to directions)
>
> Hans

>     tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

a patch is available in trunk, rev. 5244 (not in TeXLive 2015) .

--
luigi

* Re: Weird position of equation numbers for long equations
@ 2015-05-16 16:58             ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2015-05-16 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 7:07 PM, luigi scarso wrote:

> a patch is available in trunk, rev. 5244 (not in TeXLive 2015) .

Thank you, but something seems wrong.

\starttext

\hsize=2cm

\dorecurse{10}{hi }

$$a\eqno(a)$$

\placeformula
\startformula
\stopformula

$$a^2+b^2=c^2\eqno(b)$$

\placeformula
\startformula
a^2+b^2=c^2
\stopformula

\placeformula
\startformula
a\dorecurse{24}{+a}
\stopformula

\stoptext

Mojca

[-- Attachment #2: eqno.pdf --]

* Re: Weird position of equation numbers for long equations
@ 2015-05-16 22:29               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-05-16 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/16/2015 6:58 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> \hsize=2cm

> $$a^2+b^2=c^2\eqno(b)$$

It's what happens with a too wide formula + number (in context you see
an extra shift as we also have some distance between the formula and
number).

It's sort of a side effect of lack of control over what tex does (i can
imagine a solution i.e. lap left or right depending on the location but
that would then have to be under control of (say) \matheqoverflowmode or
so (0 = normal, 1 = lap back into the text, 2 ...).

I will have a look at it but it's not a short term solution for your
problem the too wide formula, unless you do a local \setupformulas
[distance=-2cm] or so).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE