* Re: roadmap
@ 2018-05-15  6:15 Christoph Reller
From: Christoph Reller @ 2018-05-15  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 12:53 AM, <ntg-context-request@ntg.nl> wrote:

> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 23:26:28 +0200
> From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>
>         users <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
> Subject: Re: [NTG-context] roadmap
>
> On 5/14/2018 9:36 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> > Hi Hans, thank you so much!

Keep up the good work!

> > * PDF/* (X, A, UA - probably only reasonable with external tools, but it seems like there’s not a lot that’s usable)
>
> we support various formats (to some extend the backend even adapts to
> it) ... tagged pdf ... already there for quite a while but i never had
> any demand for it so i never really check the current state (also
> because imo it's a it weird feature ... only there because publishers
> don't want to distribute sources that are suitable for rendering
> variations ... so we're stuck with some pseudo structure related to
> visuals)
>
> (i might upgrade tagging and exports as they closely relate but it's not
> easy to get motivated for something that one has no real use for so at
> most it will cold winter evening stuff)

To us, tagged PDF is important. Specifically, for PDF/A with
compliance level a, tagging is mandatory. ConTeXt is the only (!)
TeX-based PDF creation suite that can produce correct and reliable
tagging.

Our company is producing (and weekly updating) 67 manuals and
technical documents from more than 900 ConTeXt source files for our
software products. The output PDFs are converted to PDF/A-2a, which is
only possible due to ConTeXt's tagging.

From what we hear of our customers, PDF/A level a and PDF/UA are
becoming increasingly important, be it because of archiving issues or
because of legislation requirements. So please, maintain this
invaluable feature!

Cheers, and thank you for all the effort.

Christoph

* Re: roadmap
@ 2018-05-18  9:54 Christoph Reller
From: Christoph Reller @ 2018-05-18  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 15 May 2018 16:51:13 +0200 luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 4:46 PM, Christoph Reller <
> christoph.reller@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 15 May 2018 08:23:04 +0200 luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> What do you think of verapdf ?
> >>

> > Well, verapdf is only a validator and not a converter.
> >
> > And, by the way, there is no reasonable way to convert from, say, PDF/A-2b
> > to PDF/A-2a without a rediculous amount of AI or manual input because the
> > tagging cannot be created out of the blue. It has to be there from the
> > document's birth. This is what makes this ConTeXt feature so precious.
> >
> sure, the point is  if   verapdf  is reliable as validator.

In my opinion, verapdf has one advantage a couple of disadvantages:

+ If everything works out as planned then verapdf may become one of
the most widely adopted validators, free of charge and open source

- verapdf is yet relatively new and hence inmature
- verapdf currently only validates against the PDF/A specifications
and not (really) against the PDF specifications. This is bad because
the latter are integral parts of the former.
- verapdf does not validate embedded streams such as images, font
files and color profiles.

In short: Only if you are sure that the input document is a valid PDF,
then verapdf can be used to test PDF/A conformance.

Cheers,
Christoph

* Re: roadmap
@ 2018-05-15 14:46 Christoph Reller
From: Christoph Reller @ 2018-05-15 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

wrote:

> On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 8:15 AM, Christoph Reller <
> christoph.reller@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Our company is producing (and weekly updating) 67 manuals and
> > technical documents from more than 900 ConTeXt source files for our
> > software products. The output PDFs are converted to PDF/A-2a, which is
> > only possible due to ConTeXt's tagging.
> >
> What do you think of verapdf ?

Well, verapdf is only a validator and not a converter.

And, by the way, there is no reasonable way to convert from, say, PDF/A-2b
to PDF/A-2a without a rediculous amount of AI or manual input because the
tagging cannot be created out of the blue. It has to be there from the
document's birth. This is what makes this ConTeXt feature so precious.

Cheers,
Christoph

* roadmap
@ 2018-05-14 15:17 Hans Hagen
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-05-14 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

The ConTeXt meeting is - as usual - the right place and moment to
discuss the roadmap. We never had real binding roadmaps, more informal
ones. Anyway, here are some thoughts on the two main components: MkIV
and LuaTeX.

ConTeXt MkIV:

- Check if some mechanism can (by now) be simplified due to LuaTeX
extension introduced the last few years that can be considered stable by
now. This has a low impact as we already use Lua a lot.

- Figure out what mechanism in ConTeXt are bottlenecks in performance if
there are such bottlenecks at all. We need user input on this.

- Get rid of inconsistencies in the user interface e.g. by introducing
new commands with settings.

- Check what additional features users want (miss) and decide to what
extent and with what priority we will put effort in this. We've reached
a point where interference prevents more complex extensions.

- Try to improve tricky mechanisms, like columns and tables.
Improvements are of course always on the agenda.

- We can add more trickery for fonts and scripts. There are some pending
extensions.

- Maybe we should provide a few more general styles.

- Are there reasonable challenges left.

LuaTeX 1.09:

- This version is pretty close to what is the final version (seen from
the functional point of view). We're still debating where to move after
this. LuaTeX 2.0? A stripped down (lean and mean) version specific for
ConTeXt? Keep in mind that we cannot fundamentally change something,
even if we want to, because other macro packages use it and don't expect
it to change much.

- There will probably be some more options in controlling math (given
issues with fonts). We have to accept that not everything has a generic
programmable solution (which is why we have Lua on board).

- There might be a few more callbacks but probably nothing fundamental
is planned.

- We keep cleaning up the code base (less code is better, less
dependencies too, some documentation is missing or not yet adapted to
the new code). For instance the pdf inclusion code will soon be redone
(and then tested in the ConTeXt distribution as usual).

- When possible we will try to improve performance but there is not much
to gain to be expected there.

- We will also keep up with Lua (currently 5.3, some day 5.4). It is
unclear to what extent LuaJit follows. When it stays behind we need to
decide if support in ConTeXt will stay (to some extent we can have dual
code paths as we have now).

- We expect the ffi interface to external libraries to become more
stable over time. ConTeXt will not introduce dependencies (what can be
done in Lua will happen in Lua) but on the other hand we might put some
libraries in the distribution e.g. for database support.

- We might add some extensions to MetaPost in MPLib.

In addition we could formulate ideas with respect to the distribution,
garden, documentation and so on.

You can react on this list but if you come to the meeting, you can
participate in discussions.

So far for now,

Hans