On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Bill Meahan wrote: > On 08/08/2012 09:19 AM, Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz wrote: > >> Hi Willi, >> >> I used vim/gvim in the past and switched to emacs. I write all my stuff >> with ConTeXt and with some tweaking of the commands you can also make >> mkiv run inside of emacs. also nice is to write your metapost and use >> the metapost mode for it that can generate a preview inside emacs for >> you. Together with auctex and reftex emacs is in my opinion the best >> tool for writing TeX/LaTeX/ConTeXt documents. >> >> > I USED to run emacs + auctex but the ConTeXt support in auctex is minimal > so I asked on the auctex mailing list if there would be any expansion of > the ConTeXt support. I got back a one-sentence reply: > > "Code doesn't change itself." > > Hm, that code > That ticked me off as the FSF has done for 30+ years. Not everyone is a > developer and just having the source code doesn't mean you understand the > language, the programming style, the particular programmer's choice of > "tricks" or the way the software is broken up into functions, what > functions are global and what functions are package-specific. > > A polite, "No, there's nobody working on it right now." might not have > gored my ox so badly. > > no surprise, context comunity is small > Since I'm going to have to write the kind of ConTeXt support I want, I > switched to Textadept. Textadept is conceptually similar to emacs but it > has been designed from the ground up for modern systems (emacs dates back > to the 1970's) and uses Lua for an extension language. Lua is sufficiently > similar to languages I have worked with in the past so learning it is > pretty easy compared to learning LISP (aka "Long Indecipherable Sets of > Parentheses") which is unlike anything else, period. > > Anyone involved in TeX programming has no fear of all others languages. > Textadept is based on Scintilla rather than some home-grown display > mechanism. > > I'm working on a ConTeXt-specific extension mode for ConTeXt that will not > only provide syntax highlighting and command completion, but will provide > command-specific option and parameter pick-lists for each command. > Unfortunately, it's in my queue behind a couple of other big > writing/journalism projects and won't be done for a while. > > I thought I was done coding after 45+ years of doing it but I guess I'm > not. > > Sorry for the rant. > > why not Scite ? It's the Hans's preferred editor. -- luigi