* Migrating ConTeXt's Textadept settings from v9 to v10.
@ 2018-08-21  9:39 cryo shock
From: cryo shock @ 2018-08-21  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans, I'd surely love help you to adapt ConTeXt's settings from v9 to
v10. I hope that the following quotations will help you enough. I also hope
that the format doesn't get mixed up when I send this mail.

--------------------- QUOTATION start
source: https://foicica.com/textadept/manual.html#Migration.Guides
Migration Guides Textadept 9 to 10 API Changes
Old API Change New API
*_G*

bit32 Removed N/A *(use bitwise operators)*
*buffer*

brace_match(pos) Changed brace_match
<https://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#buffer.brace_match>(pos, 0)
*lexer*

_foldsymbols Replaced add_fold_point()
<https://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#lexer.add_fold_point>
_rules Replaced add_rule()
<https://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#lexer.add_rule>
_tokenstyles Replaced add_style()
<https://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#lexer.add_style>
embed_lexer(parent, child, …) Renamed parent:embed
<https://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#lexer.embed>(child, …)
_RULES[id] Replaced get_rule
<https://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#lexer.get_rule>(id)
_RULES[id] = rule Replaced modify_rule
<https://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#lexer.modify_rule>(id, rule)
N/A Added new() <https://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#lexer.new>
word_match(list, wchars, icase) Changed word_match
<https://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#lexer.word_match>(words, icase)
*ui*

set_theme Renamed buffer.set_theme()
<https://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#buffer.set_theme>
*textadept.editing*

match_brace Replaced N/A *(menu function)*
N/A Added paste()
<https://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#textadept.editing.paste>
N/A Added paste_reindents
<https://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#textadept.editing.paste_reindents>
*textadept.session*

default_session Removed
Configuration Changes

Textadept 10 no longer uses a *~/.textadept/properties.lua* file. Instead,
all buffer settings are made in *~/.textadept/init.lua*, and apply to the
first and any subsequent buffers. (In Textadept 9, any buffer settings made
in *~/.textadept/init.lua* only applied to the first buffer, so a
*~/.textadept/properties.lua* was required in order to define buffer
settings that would affect subsequent buffers.)

Simply copying the contents of your *~/.textadept/properties.lua* into
*~/.textadept/init.lua* should be sufficient.
Lexer Changes

Lexers are now written in a more object-oriented way. Legacy lexers are
still supported, but it is recommended that you migrate them
<https://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#lexer.Migrating.Legacy.Lexers>.
Key Bindings Changes

The terminal version’s key sequence for Ctrl+Space is now 'c ' instead of
'c@'.
Regex Changes

Textadept now uses C++11’s ECMAScript regex syntax
<https://foicica.com/textadept/manual.html#Regular.Expressions> instead of
TRE <https://github.com/laurikari/tre>.
Mac OSX System Requirements

Textadept now requires Mac OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) at a minimum. The
previous minimum version was 10.5 (Leopard).
LuaJIT Changes

The LuaJIT version of Textadept has been removed. Any LuaJIT-specific
features used in external modules will no longer function.

--------------------- QUOTATION end

I also found this here:

--------------------- QUOTATION start
source: https://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#lexer.Migrating.Legacy.Lexers
Migrating Legacy Lexers

Legacy lexers are of the form:

local l = require('lexer')
local token, word_match = l.token, l.word_match
local P, R, S = lpeg.P, lpeg.R, lpeg.S

local M = {_NAME = '?'}

[... token and pattern definitions ...]

M._rules = {
  {'rule', pattern},
  [...]
}

M._tokenstyles = {
  'token' = 'style',
  [...]
}

M._foldsymbols = {
  _patterns = {...},
  ['token'] = {['start'] = 1, ['end'] = -1},
  [...]
}

return M

While such legacy lexers will be handled just fine without any changes, it
is recommended that you migrate yours. The migration process is fairly
straightforward:

   1. Replace all instances of l with lexer, as it’s better practice and
   results in less confusion.
   2. Replace local M = {_NAME = '?'} with local lex = lexer.new('?'),
   where ? is the name of your legacy lexer. At the end of the lexer,
   change return M to return lex.
   3. Instead of defining rules towards the end of your lexer, define your
   rules as you define your tokens and patterns using lex:add_rule()
   <https://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#lexer.add_rule>.
   4. Similarly, any custom token names should have their styles
   immediately defined using lex:add_style()
   <https://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#lexer.add_style>.
   5. Convert any table arguments passed to lexer.word_match()
   <https://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#lexer.word_match> to a
   space-separated string of words.
   6. Replace any calls to lexer.embed(M, child, ...) and lexer.embed(parent,
   M, ...) with lex:embed
   <https://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#lexer.embed>(child, ...)
and parent:embed(lex,
   ...), respectively.
   7. Define fold points with simple calls to lex:add_fold_point()
   <https://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#lexer.add_fold_point>. No need
   to mess with Lua patterns anymore.
   8. Any legacy lexer options such as M._FOLDBYINDENTATION, M._LEXBYLINE,
   M._lexer, etc. should be added as table options to lexer.new()
   <https://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#lexer.new>.
   9. Any external lexer rule fetching and/or modifications via lexer._RULES
   should be changed to use lexer.get_rule()
   <https://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#lexer.get_rule> and
   lexer.modify_rule()
   <https://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#lexer.modify_rule>.

As an example, consider the following sample legacy lexer:

local l = require('lexer')
local token, word_match = l.token, l.word_match
local P, R, S = lpeg.P, lpeg.R, lpeg.S

local M = {_NAME = 'legacy'}

local ws = token(l.WHITESPACE, l.space^1)
local comment = token(l.COMMENT, '#' * l.nonnewline^0)
local string = token(l.STRING, l.delimited_range('"'))
local number = token(l.NUMBER, l.float + l.integer)
local keyword = token(l.KEYWORD, word_match{'foo', 'bar', 'baz'})
local custom = token('custom', P('quux'))
local identifier = token(l.IDENTIFIER, l.word)
local operator = token(l.OPERATOR, S('+-*/%^=<>,.()[]{}'))

M._rules = {
  {'whitespace', ws},
  {'keyword', keyword},
  {'custom', custom},
  {'identifier', identifier},
  {'string', string},
  {'comment', comment},
  {'number', number},
  {'operator', operator}
}

M._tokenstyles = {
  'custom' = l.STYLE_KEYWORD..',bold'
}

M._foldsymbols = {
  _patterns = {'[{}]'},
  [l.OPERATOR] = {['{'] = 1, ['}'] = -1}
}

return M

Following the migration steps would yield:

local lexer = require('lexer')
local token, word_match = lexer.token, lexer.word_match
local P, R, S = lpeg.P, lpeg.R, lpeg.S

local lex = lexer.new('legacy')

lex:add_rule('whitespace', token(lexer.WHITESPACE, lexer.space^1))
lex:add_rule('keyword', token(lexer.KEYWORD, word_match[[foo bar baz]]))
lex:add_rule('custom', token('custom', P('quux')))
lex:add_style('custom', lexer.STYLE_KEYWORD..',bold')
lex:add_rule('identifier', token(lexer.IDENTIFIER, lexer.word))
lex:add_rule('string', token(lexer.STRING, lexer.delimited_range('"')))
lex:add_rule('comment', token(lexer.COMMENT, '#' * lexer.nonnewline^0))
lex:add_rule('number', token(lexer.NUMBER, lexer.float + lexer.integer))
lex:add_rule('operator', token(lexer.OPERATOR, S('+-*/%^=<>,.()[]{}')))

lex:add_fold_point(lexer.OPERATOR, '{', '}')

return lex

Considerations Performance

There might be some slight overhead when initializing a lexer, but loading
a file from disk into Scintilla is usually more expensive. On modern
computer systems, I see no difference in speed between Lua lexers and
Scintilla’s C++ ones. Optimize lexers for speed by re-arranging
lexer.add_rule() calls so that the most common rules match first. Do keep
in mind that order matters for similar rules.

In some cases, folding may be far more expensive than lexing, particularly
in lexers with a lot of potential fold points. If your lexer is exhibiting
signs of slowness, try disabling folding in your text editor first. If that
speeds things up, you can try reducing the number of fold points you added,
overriding lexer.fold() with your own implementation, or simply eliminating
folding support from your lexer.
Limitations

Embedded preprocessor languages like PHP cannot completely embed in their
parent languages in that the parent’s tokens do not support start and end
rules. This mostly goes unnoticed, but code like

will not style correctly.
Troubleshooting

Errors in lexers can be tricky to debug. Lexers print Lua errors to
io.stderr and _G.print() statements to io.stdout. Running your editor from
a terminal is the easiest way to see errors as they occur.
Risks

Poorly written lexers have the ability to crash Scintilla (and thus its
containing application), so unsaved data might be lost. However, I have
only observed these crashes in early lexer development, when syntax errors
or pattern errors are present. Once the lexer actually starts styling text
(either correctly or incorrectly, it does not matter), I have not observed
any crashes.
--------------------- QUOTATION end

If you could use anything else, let me know.

Cheers, L.

* Re: Migrating ConTeXt's Textadept settings from v9 to v10.
@ 2018-08-21 10:07 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-08-21 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/21/2018 11:39 AM, cryo shock wrote:
> Hi Hans, I'd surely love help you to adapt ConTeXt's settings from v9 to
> v10. I hope that the following quotations will help you enough. I also
> hope that the format doesn't get mixed up when I send this mail.
hm, change in lexer setup again .. this is actually why i stick to scite
(ta is evolving to a - probably better, as the old method was not than
nice either which is why i wrapped some of it - interface in the end but
should not have had the worse one to start with .. alas, such is life

so i need to wrap different i guess (the scite variant is probably not
affected as i there we don't use the same interface) .. but if the dll
interface also changes i'll roll out my own (if i can convince luigi to
join me in that)

imagine that i'd change the way context is configured that drastically
and then ask users to migrate from \setupfoo[key=value] to a completely
different syntax ... doesn't work i guess

changes for the better are fine, but changing a user interface is kind
of blocking (i simply can't afford to waste time on that every few years)

Hans

* Re: Migrating ConTeXt's Textadept settings from v9 to v10.
@ 2018-08-21 13:30   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2018-08-21 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)