* Finding Minion and Myriad
@ 2011-09-29 15:10 john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2011-09-29 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

These two fonts are in /usr/share/fonts/OTF.
In that directory they are listed in fonts.dir.
I want to use simplefonts to use Minion as the base font.
I ran the various commands described in the Wiki page:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX
and got the two fonts listed in the font database.

I put the following in my MKIV context file:
\usemodule[simplefonts] % load the module
\setmainfont[minionproregular] %

%\whitespace[line]

\usetypescript[serif,sans][hanging][pure]
\setupalign[hanging]
\setupbodyfont[minionproregular,14pt]
Now I get a new error message:
-------------------------
mtx-context.lua:675: attempt to call field 'locate_format' (a nil value)

Any suggestions?

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press

* Re: Finding Minion and Myriad
@ 2011-09-29 15:12 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-09-29 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 5:10 PM, john Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> These two fonts are in /usr/share/fonts/OTF.
> In that directory they are listed in fonts.dir.
> I want to use simplefonts to use Minion as the base font.
> I ran the various commands described in the Wiki page:
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX
> and got the two fonts listed in the font database.
>
> I put the following in my MKIV context file:
> \usemodule[simplefonts] % load the module
> \setmainfont[minionproregular] %
>
> %\whitespace[line]
>
> \usetypescript[serif,sans][hanging][pure]
> \setupalign[hanging]
> \setupbodyfont[minionproregular,14pt]
> Now I get a new error message:
> -------------------------
> mtx-context.lua:675: attempt to call field 'locate_format' (a nil value)
>
> Any suggestions?
which context version ?
--
luigi

* Re: Finding Minion and Myriad
@ 2011-09-29 15:19 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-09-29 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 29.09.2011 um 17:10 schrieb john Culleton:

> These two fonts are in /usr/share/fonts/OTF.
> In that directory they are listed in fonts.dir.
> I want to use simplefonts to use Minion as the base font.
> I ran the various commands described in the Wiki page:
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX
> and got the two fonts listed in the font database.
>
> I put the following in my MKIV context file:
> \usemodule[simplefonts] % load the module
> \setmainfont[minionproregular] %
>
> %\whitespace[line]
>
> \usetypescript[serif,sans][hanging][pure]
> \setupalign[hanging]
> \setupbodyfont[minionproregular,14pt]

To use the fonts which are shipped with Adobe Reader you can use two different methods.

Method 1:

\usemodule[simplefonts]

\setmainfont[Minion Pro][protrusion=quality]

\setupalign[hanging]

\starttext\showframe
\input tufte
\stoptext

Method 2:

\usetypescriptfile[type-adobe]

\definefontfeature[default][default][protrusion=quality]

\setupbodyfont[minion]

\setupalign[hanging]

\starttext\showframe
\input tufte
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Finding Minion and Myriad
@ 2011-09-29 15:38   ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2011-09-29 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 17:12:07 +0200
luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 5:10 PM, john Culleton
> <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> >
> > These two fonts are in /usr/share/fonts/OTF.
> > In that directory they are listed in fonts.dir.
> > I want to use simplefonts to use Minion as the base font.
> > I ran the various commands described in the Wiki page:
> >
> > http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX
> > and got the two fonts listed in the font database.
> >
> > I put the following in my MKIV context file:
> > \usemodule[simplefonts] % load the module
> > \setmainfont[minionproregular] %
> >
> > %\whitespace[line]
> >
> > \usetypescript[serif,sans][hanging][pure]
> > \setupalign[hanging]
> > \setupbodyfont[minionproregular,14pt]
> > Now I get a new error message:
> > -------------------------
> > mtx-context.lua:675: attempt to call field 'locate_format' (a nil
> > value)
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> which context version ?
2011.05.18 18:04

As delivered with TeXLive 2011.

--

@ 2011-09-29 15:54   ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2011-09-29 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 05:19:27PM +0200, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> To use the fonts which are shipped with Adobe Reader you can use two different methods.
>
> Method 1:
>
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
>
> \setmainfont[Minion Pro][protrusion=quality]
>
> \setupalign[hanging]
>
> \starttext\showframe
> \input tufte
> \stoptext
>
> Method 2:
>
> \usetypescriptfile[type-adobe]
>
> \definefontfeature[default][default][protrusion=quality]
>
> \setupbodyfont[minion]
>
> \setupalign[hanging]
>
> \starttext\showframe
> \input tufte
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

Please note that the path to the Adobe fonts must be included
in the environment. On my system, this works if I have:

export OSFONTDIR="$HOME/.fonts;/usr/local/share/fonts;/usr/local/Adobe/Reader9/ENU/Adobe/Reader9/Resource/Font/"

Alan

* Re: Finding Minion and Myriad
@ 2011-09-29 16:13     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-09-29 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 5:38 PM, john Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 17:12:07 +0200
> luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 5:10 PM, john Culleton
>> <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > These two fonts are in /usr/share/fonts/OTF.
>> > In that directory they are listed in fonts.dir.
>> > I want to use simplefonts to use Minion as the base font.
>> > I ran the various commands described in the Wiki page:
>> >
>> > http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX
>> > and got the two fonts listed in the font database.
>> >
>> > I put the following in my MKIV context file:
>> > \usemodule[simplefonts] % load the module
>> > \setmainfont[minionproregular] %
>> >
>> > %\whitespace[line]
>> >
>> > \usetypescript[serif,sans][hanging][pure]
>> > \setupalign[hanging]
>> > \setupbodyfont[minionproregular,14pt]
>> > Now I get a new error message:
>> > -------------------------
>> > mtx-context.lua:675: attempt to call field 'locate_format' (a nil
>> > value)
>> >
>> > Any suggestions?
>> which context version ?
> 2011.05.18 18:04
>
> As delivered with TeXLive 2011.
hm, quite old but possible right.
Can you try
1)mkdir texmf-project/test
2)## copy Minion  fonts onto texmf-project/test
3) cd texmf-project/test
4) mtxrun --script fonts --reload
5) mtxrun --generate
6) context test.tex
where test.tex is

\usemodule[simplefonts] % load the module
\setmainfont[minionproregular] %

%\whitespace[line]

\usetypescript[serif,sans][hanging][pure]
\setupalign[hanging]

\starttext

\input knuth

\stoptext

in latest suite is ok.
--
luigi

* Re: Finding Minion and Myriad
@ 2011-09-29 16:19   ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2011-09-29 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 17:19:27 +0200
Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 29.09.2011 um 17:10 schrieb john Culleton:
>

> > These two fonts are in /usr/share/fonts/OTF.
> > In that directory they are listed in fonts.dir.
> > I want to use simplefonts to use Minion as the base font.
> > I ran the various commands described in the Wiki page:
> >
> > http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX
> > and got the two fonts listed in the font database.
> >
> > I put the following in my MKIV context file:
> > \usemodule[simplefonts] % load the module
> > \setmainfont[minionproregular] %
> >
> > %\whitespace[line]
> >
> > \usetypescript[serif,sans][hanging][pure]
> > \setupalign[hanging]
> > \setupbodyfont[minionproregular,14pt]
>
> To use the fonts which are shipped with Adobe Reader you can use two
> different methods.
>
> Method 1:
>
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
>
> \setmainfont[Minion Pro][protrusion=quality]
>
> \setupalign[hanging]
>
> \starttext\showframe
> \input tufte
> \stoptext

Put that exact text in a file test.tex, ran
context test.tex
and got the same error message:
mtx-context.lua:675: attempt to call field 'locate_format' (a nil value)

This message cropped up after I ran some of the scripts in the wiki.
I seem to have messed something up in that process.

Unless I receive other directions here I am considering reinstalling
texlive-2011.

--

@ 2011-09-29 16:22     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-09-29 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 6:19 PM, john Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 17:19:27 +0200
> Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

>> Am 29.09.2011 um 17:10 schrieb john Culleton:
>>

>> > These two fonts are in /usr/share/fonts/OTF.
>> > In that directory they are listed in fonts.dir.
>> > I want to use simplefonts to use Minion as the base font.
>> > I ran the various commands described in the Wiki page:
>> >
>> > http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX
>> > and got the two fonts listed in the font database.
>> >
>> > I put the following in my MKIV context file:
>> > \usemodule[simplefonts] % load the module
>> > \setmainfont[minionproregular] %
>> >
>> > %\whitespace[line]
>> >
>> > \usetypescript[serif,sans][hanging][pure]
>> > \setupalign[hanging]
>> > \setupbodyfont[minionproregular,14pt]
>>
>> To use the fonts which are shipped with Adobe Reader you can use two
>> different methods.
>>
>> Method 1:
>>
>> \usemodule[simplefonts]
>>
>> \setmainfont[Minion Pro][protrusion=quality]
>>
>> \setupalign[hanging]
>>
>> \starttext\showframe
>> \input tufte
>> \stoptext
>>

> Put that exact text in a file test.tex, ran
> context test.tex
> and got the same error message:
> mtx-context.lua:675: attempt to call field 'locate_format' (a nil value)
>
> This message cropped up after I ran some of the scripts in the wiki.
> I seem to have messed something up in that process.
>
> Unless I receive other directions here I am considering reinstalling
> texlive-2011.
I strongly suggest to you to install latest suite (was standalone was
minimals ) into a separate dir
(ie /opt/luatex/suite-2011-09-29)
and eventually copy  the fonts you need into that folder.
You can always use the TeXLive in a separate shell
--
luigi

* Re: Finding Minion and Myriad
@ 2011-09-29 16:32       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-09-29 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 29.09.2011 um 18:13 schrieb luigi scarso:

> \setmainfont[minionproregular] %

Use “Minion Pro” (could also be lowercase and without spaces) but not “minionproregular” because simplefonts can’t then find the italic and bold styles.

> \usetypescript[serif,sans][hanging][pure]

This is MkII, for MkIV overload the default set with “\definefontfeature[default][default][protrusion=quality]”.

Wolfgang

* Re: Finding Minion and Myriad
@ 2011-09-29 16:41       ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2011-09-29 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 18:13:12 +0200
luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 5:38 PM, john Culleton
> <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 17:12:07 +0200
> > luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> which context version ?
> > 2011.05.18 18:04
> >
> > As delivered with TeXLive 2011.
> hm, quite old but possible right.
> Can you try
> 1)mkdir texmf-project/test
> 2)## copy Minion  fonts onto texmf-project/test
> 3) cd texmf-project/test
> 4) mtxrun --script fonts --reload
> 5) mtxrun --generate
> 6) context test.tex
> where test.tex is
>
> \usemodule[simplefonts] % load the module
> \setmainfont[minionproregular] %
>
> %\whitespace[line]
>
> \usetypescript[serif,sans][hanging][pure]
> \setupalign[hanging]
>

> \starttext
>
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext
>
> in latest suite is ok.

Now that works! The error message went away. The program compiles a pdf
file using the Minion Pro font.  But the same test.tex program in the
parent directory came up with the same error. So long as I run context
etc. in that new directory,  including my own document book.tex
I get good results. When I move to another directory the world goes
crazy again.

I am ready for your next instruction, Sensei Luigi :<)

--

@ 2011-09-29 17:54         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-09-29 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 6:41 PM, john Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 18:13:12 +0200
> luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 5:38 PM, john Culleton
>> <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

>> > 2011.05.18 18:04
>> >
>> > As delivered with TeXLive 2011.
>> hm, quite old but possible right.
>> Can you try
>> 1)mkdir texmf-project/test
>> 2)## copy Minion  fonts onto texmf-project/test
>> 3) cd texmf-project/test
>> 4) mtxrun --script fonts --reload
>> 5) mtxrun --generate
>> 6) context test.tex
>> where test.tex is
>>
>> \usemodule[simplefonts] % load the module
>> \setmainfont[minionproregular] %
>>
>> %\whitespace[line]
>>
>> \usetypescript[serif,sans][hanging][pure]
>> \setupalign[hanging]
>>

>> \starttext
>>
>> \input knuth
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> in latest suite is ok.
>
> Now that works! The error message went away. The program compiles a pdf
> file using the Minion Pro font.  But the same test.tex program in the
> parent directory came up with the same error. So long as I run context
> etc. in that new directory,  including my own document book.tex
> I get good results. When I move to another directory the world goes
> crazy again.
>
> I am ready for your next instruction, Sensei Luigi :<)
:-)
not so soon -- it's dinner time here
anyway --- apart the notes from wolfgang, and assuming the suite  aka
standalone aka minimals installation
you can
1) copy the minion font in
tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/adobe/minion
2) mtxrun --script fonts --reload
3) mtxrun --generate
4) try context test.tex in a folder without the fonts, just to check
that it's ok

The location can vary, but I like this one ; as Wolfgang said,
 test.tex is a mix of mkiv and mkii and you should use

\setmainfont[minionpro]
instead of
\setmainfont[minionproregular] %
and

@ 2011-09-29 19:07         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-09-29 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 29.09.2011 um 21:07 schrieb john Culleton:

> OK. Can you give me the url that points to the latest Context suite?
> The offerings I see are dated 2010 etc. I run Slackware Linux 13.37.

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone

Wolfgang

* Re: Finding Minion and Myriad
@ 2011-09-29 19:07       ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2011-09-29 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 18:22:17 +0200

@ 2011-09-29 20:29           ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2011-09-29 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 21:07:08 +0200
Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 29.09.2011 um 21:07 schrieb john Culleton:
>
> > OK. Can you give me the url that points to the latest Context suite?
> > The offerings I see are dated 2010 etc. I run Slackware Linux 13.37.
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone
>
> Wolfgang

Excellent. Now if there is a way to make Myriad the font of choice for
sans-serif I will be deliriously happy. And I promise not to bother the
list for a while.

--

@ 2011-09-29 20:36             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-09-29 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 29.09.2011 um 22:29 schrieb john Culleton:

> Excellent. Now if there is a way to make Myriad the font of choice for
> sans-serif I will be deliriously happy.

\usetypescriptfile[type-adobe]

\setupbodyfont[minion]

\starttext
Minion Pro and \ss Myriad Pro
\stoptext

or

\usemodule[simplefonts]

\setmainfont[Minion Pro]
\setsansfont[Myriad Pro]

\starttext
Minion Pro and \ss Myriad Pro
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Finding Minion and Myriad
@ 2011-09-30  7:31             ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-09-30  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 10:29 PM, john Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 21:07:08 +0200
> Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

>> Am 29.09.2011 um 21:07 schrieb john Culleton:
>>
>> > OK. Can you give me the url that points to the latest Context suite?
>> > The offerings I see are dated 2010 etc. I run Slackware Linux 13.37.
>>
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone
>>
>> Wolfgang

> Excellent. Now if there is a way to make Myriad the font of choice for
> sans-serif I will be deliriously happy. And I promise not to bother the
> list for a while.
>
> --
> John Culleton
> Wexford Press
> "Create Book Covers with Scribus"
> http://www.booklocker.com/books/4055.html

An important note:
if you install you fonts under texmf-project
e.g
tex/texmf-project/fonts/adobe/minion
tex/texmf-project/fonts/adobe/myriad

then every time you update the suite, the fonts stay here.

If you put your fonts under
tex/texmf/fonts/opentype
i.e
tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/adobe/minion
as I suggested on a prev. email
then every time you update the suite, the fonts *will be deleted* .

This is because the way operate rsynch is to "synch" the folders but
not tex/texmf-project

On the other side, the locations are good if you will not update the
suite --- that to say,
if you have  another project just download another suite .
So we can have for example
project1 => /opt/luatex/suite-2011-09-20-prj1
project2 => /opt/luatex/suite-2011-09-30-prj2
and so on
or
project1 => /opt/luatex/suite-2011-09-20/tex/texmf-project/prj1
project2 => /opt/luatex/suite-2011-09-20/tex/texmf-project/prj2

--
luigi

* Re: Finding Minion and Myriad
@ 2011-10-03 20:04               ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2011-10-03 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 22:36:02 +0200
Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> \usemodule[simplefonts]
>
> \setmainfont[Minion Pro]
> \setsansfont[Myriad Pro]
>
> \starttext
> Minion Pro and \ss Myriad Pro
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

That woks fine so long as the fonts in  play are located in the same
directory as the context source file. For future reference, how do I
get MKIV to find fonts that are in /usr/share/fonts?
I use Slackware Linux.
I have a recent context distro located in my home directory.
My run script is:
--------------------------------
source /home/safe/context/tex/setuptex /home/safe/context/tex
source /home/safe/context/tex/setuptex
context $1

John Culleton
Free list of books for self-publishers:
http://wexfordpress.net/shortlist.html

@ 2011-10-03 20:11                 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-10-03 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.10.2011 um 22:04 schrieb john Culleton:

> For future reference, how do I get MKIV to find fonts that are in /usr/share/fonts?

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX#Building_the_font_database
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone#Font-Dir

Wolfgang

* Re: Finding Minion and Myriad
@ 2011-10-03 23:29                   ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2011-10-03 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 22:11:36 +0200
Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 03.10.2011 um 22:04 schrieb john Culleton:
>
> > For future reference, how do I get MKIV to find fonts that are
> > in /usr/share/fonts?
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX#Building_the_font_database
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone#Font-Dir
>
> Wolfgang
> entry to the Wiki!

Are you stating that I need a system-wide installation to get
MKIV to find fonts in /usr/share/fonts?

--

@ 2011-10-03 23:29                     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-10-03 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 01:29, john Culleton wrote:

> Are you stating that I need a system-wide installation to get
> MKIV to find fonts in /usr/share/fonts?

It should be enough to set OSFONTDIR or FONTCONFIG_PATH (which should
point to folder where your distribution has the fonts.conf file).

Mojca

* Re: Finding Minion and Myriad
@ 2011-10-04  8:20                     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-10-04  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 1:29 AM, john Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> Are you stating that I need a system-wide installation to get
> MKIV to find fonts in /usr/share/fonts?
It's better to keep separate "system fonts" from ConTeXt.
Some fonts can be updated/moved when the  system make an upgrade,
different OS have different font paths and so on.
Almost all of the time the better solution is to keep the fonts under
texmf-project:
you project will survive if you change Linux release/distro or pass to
Windows/MacOS.

--
luigi