On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 10:18 PM, Tobias Famulla wrote: > Hello Mailing-List, > > I used Latex for a few years in university to create reports for > assignments and also to write my bachelor thesis (I would have liked to > use Context, but the right schema for citation was not available and I > had no time to create it myself). > Over the time I got a little bit frustrated with Latex, because it has > many modules and most of the time gets the job done, but writing Latex > can sometimes be quite hard sometime to me (you have to have the modules > installed, tweak around with charactersets, imagepositioning, ...). > > In between I looked at much smaller and sleaker document representations > languages (asciidoc, restructuredText, Markdown) and writing in it is a > pleasure compared to Latex (I haven't really tried out Context but > looked over the documentation and it looked more promising but shares > the same design ideas). > Asciidoc is even able to declarate source code listings and formulas. > Never the less, the output to Pdf is not always the nicest one. > > The reason why I now write to this list, is, that I imagine, that > Context could be the right processor to create beautiful PDFs out of > intermediate formats (DocBook 5 or Asciidoc). For the conversion to > Latex a module for asciidoctor (ruby implementation) is in developement. > The ideal system I imagine would be close to what is used with HTML and > CSS on the web: Having a easy to use file format to writing you > documents (Asciidoc or DocBook as intermediate format) and a system to > create the PDFs (maybe Context and a Context-Template) > > So my main questions are: > - Are there straigt forward ways to create PDFs with Context using > Docbook 5? > - Are there "not that hard" possibilites to write extentions to Context > to do exactly that (maybe using Lua)? > - Does it make more sense, when using another input format like > Asciidoc, to write a converter which directly creates a > Context-document? (although it might be more versatile to use DocBook > for other formats like Markdown or DocBook itself) > > Context alredy has a kind of xslt processor written in lpeg and embedded into the format. --- see for example http://wiki.contextgarden.net/XML The DocBook is a huge specification, so I guess that a convert for ConTeXt takes a huge amount of work if you want to map everything --- but it is feasible if you plan to start with a small subset. From this point of view, Docbook already has a xslt to latex, so working on a xslt to context maybe makes more sense, if one accepts that context is still evolving. -- luigi