On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 12:37 AM, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote: > > context --make does a --generate so you can skip that and the luatools > > run is not needed either (selfupdate is seldom needed too) > > So 'context --make' is all one needs? I'll update the wiki. > > > we get a .5pt height difference somewhere (nothing else different in a > > trace) ... smells like a luatex bug (testing that now) > > That is my suspicion as well. But I couldn't reproduce it with plain > luatex. Though maybe I needed to use equation numbers, however that is > done in plain tex (the context run doesn't show the problem without the > \placeformula). > > I suspect some internal state is getting slightly corrupted and getting > progressively worse with the 30,000 repetitions. > > I've been finding many unexplained 0.5pt or so differences, which may be > related to the underbrace problem. The context, so to speak, is that I > am putting in the last edits to the book, after having gone through and > checked every page many times. So I want to ensure that none of the > small changes has a big effect, but I don't want to check every page > again (or I'll vomit). > > Thus, I run my compare-pdfs.sh script on the previous and the latest > pdf. It renders each page to a B/W png (using mupdf) and then compares > corresponding pages using 'compare' (one of the ImageMagick tools). Any > differing pixels are in red, and the shared pixels are in very light > gray. Then all the pages with enough differences are viewed with 'feh', > in order of most-to-least differences. And I check that nothing major > has changed. > > What I keep finding is that pages long after where I make a small change > somehow get changed, with roughly one-pixel shifts to parts of the page. > I'm attaching an example pixel diff. It shows changes on p.72 of the > mss. However, the only change to the source code was on p.58 (and was > designed not to change any page breaks, which it didn't). That same > page (p.72) often gets similar changes with all kinds of small changes. > > [Note to me: In case I need to recreate the source for debugging > purposes, it's the change from rev 41ff54 to 2467d5] > > In case the script is useful to others (earlier versions are in the > contexttest repository somewhere), I am attaching it. I use it as > follows with a bash command line. (The awk in the pipeline makes sure > that only pages with some difference make it to the viewer.) > > DPI=72 compare-pdfs.sh old.pdf new.pdf | tee book-print.compare72dpi | awk > '{if (($3 > 0.02)) print;}' | sort -nr -k3 | awk '{print $1}' | xargs -r feh > > Thank you for the script. Under linux you can also try diffpdf $> aptitude search diffpdf i diffpdf - compare two PDF files textually or visually p diffpdf:i386 - compare two PDF files textually or visually -- luigi