Hello I try to use layers to position a figure on top of the leftmargin area. I use code like the following: \definelayer[MyLayer][option=test] \setupbackgrounds[text][leftmargin][background=MyLayer] \setlayer[MyLayer][x=0cm,y=0cm] {\externalfigure[cow][width=2cm]} This image get's repeated every page but I only want it on the first page. The parameter state=start does not change anything. Is there a way to disable the layer on the next page. Also there seems to be a bug with \showframe. When I use this command my figure is only displayed on the first page (as desired). When I use \setupbackgrounds[page][background=MyLayer] this problem does not occur. But I have to shift the figure to place it in the leftmargin. I tried to use another concept like \definelayer[test] \startuseMPgraphic{oeps} register ("somepos-1",0cm,0cm,center currentpicture) ; \stopuseMPgraphic \setMPlayer [test] [somepos-1] {\externalfigure[cow][width=2cm]} \getMPlayer [test] {\useMPgraphic{oeps}} but that does not seem to work at all. Thanks for any help Cheers, Reza