From: Mari Voipio <mari.voipio@iki.fi>
Subject: Re: Getting changing/random graphics?
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 10:22:14 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:50, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 16-2-2012 07:43, Mari Voipio wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to do something that should be possible and I think
>> "variables" is the answer, I just can't figure out how.
>

> attached .. (will be in test suite)

It works. :-)
However, this one apparently uses each pic only once and after that I
just get "dummies". Nesting this \dorecurse didn't work (not that I
expected it to, but had to try anyway) - how to tell this code either
"when you've used up all the photos, start over" or "add any random
graphic in this directory"?

It looks like I'm going to have 50-100 pages, so if there are 10-15
graphics and they are added completely at random, the likelihood of
each one to appear at least once is pretty high (at least according to
what I remember of my probability math). Thus I won't need any
complicated checkups, any old randomizer in the "take a card out of a
bag and put it bag" sense should do the trick; I'm just not used to
doing this type of stuff, so I cannot even fathom where to start!

Hmm... I'd like to include besides png and jpg also vector graphics in
pdf format, but obviously I need to exclude any pdf documents in the
same directory. Of course one solution is to put the graphics into a
separate directory, but if I only want to included .png, .jpg and .pdf
with a certain name (like 33s-sensor.jpg, 33s-cutthrough.pdf, etc.),
how should the lua code then look like? The name can be written into
the code, as long as I put decent comments in, I should be able to
adjust it as needed.

(File size shouldn't be a concern, the graphics are going to be 2-2.5
cm tall and once I've collected the appropriate graphics, I'll make
sure the bitmaps are fit for this use. Besides, I'll be using a print
shop and they get a lot worse than anything I can produce with
ConTeXt...)

In a "need-to-know" mode,

Mari