* [***SPAM***] Simple Context Application to Cards
@ 2013-08-04 10:36 d.henman
From: d.henman @ 2013-08-04 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

This is a trivial appliation for Context, but a useful one.

I plan on designed some business cards, but am new to Context.

My idea to to have a logo image in the upper left hand corner, with the company name to the right of it.   This would be two block elements at the top of the card.

In the middle will be the name, and below that the address, tel, etc.

-- Regarding the two blocks at the top of the card:

Something like the below:

   logo here     Company name here
 .--------------------------------------.
 |   ooooo     XYZ Printing Company     |
 |   ooooo                              |    This top area is the subject of this mail.
 |   ooooo    Card Design & Services    |
 |            First_Name Last_Name      |       All this below the ... line is done.
 |   contact information                |
 '--------------------------------------'

I take this as two blocks aligned horizontally on the 91mm x 55mm card stock.
From my reading the Context options for doing this are:

The margins are so small that using  \inmarge{\externalfigure[company-logo][width=\marginwidth] }  can not work.

Which option should I pursue?
   a.) \startcombination ...  \externalfigure  +  text block  \stopcombination
   a.) \placefigurehere[... force]
         \startcombination ...  \externalfigure  +  text block  \stopcombination

   c.) \startfiguretext ... \stopfiguretext

   d.) some other Context mechanism.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

* Re: [***SPAM***] Simple Context Application to Cards
@ 2013-08-04 11:47 ` Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2013-08-04 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 1:36 PM, d.henman <dhenman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I plan on designed some business cards, but am new to Context.
>    d.) some other Context mechanism.

I would use layers. Unfortunately, there isn't a really good beginners
manual for layers, but take a look at
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Layers and
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/BusinessCard (and maybe even
http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/details.pdf ). I remember
struggling because those examples are a bit complicated to start with,
but better than nothing.

The nice thing with layers is that once you get it, you can adjust
everything by millimeter until it sits just right (and just right for
your printer, variations in paper feed may make 1-2 mm differences
between printers). And as long as you put each block on a layer of its
own, you can move it independently, e.g. move the logo 3mm to the
right but keep the text blocks where they are.

Regards,

Mari

* Re: Simple Context Application to Cards
@ 2013-08-04 15:56 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2013-08-04 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2013-08-04 um 16:36 schrieb d.henman <dhenman@gmail.com>:

> This is a trivial appliation for Context, but a useful one.
>
> I plan on designed some business cards, but am new to Context.
>
> My idea to to have a logo image in the upper left hand corner, with the company name to the right of it.   This would be two block elements at the top of the card.
>
> In the middle will be the name, and below that the address, tel, etc.

> Any advice is appreciated.

Several years ago I used ConTeXt to automatically typeset business cards of a big company from a CSV file (processed by a small Python script). In this case I had logo and background graphics (everything static) together as a PDF that I used on a background layer and typeset only name, job title etc. on a per-page layer.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Simple Context Application to Cards
@ 2013-08-05  0:13   ` hwitloc
From: hwitloc @ 2013-08-05  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thenks for letting me know of the process you used.  I appreciate it.