* [IN TOPIC] new interview
@ 2012-12-13  9:03 luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-12-13  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.tug.org/interviews/voipio.html

http://www.lucet.fi/craftex
--
luigi

* Re: [IN TOPIC] new interview
@ 2012-12-13 11:09 ` Andre Caldas
From: Andre Caldas @ 2012-12-13 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> http://www.tug.org/interviews/voipio.html
> http://www.lucet.fi/craftex

Nice!

* Re: [IN TOPIC] new interview
@ 2012-12-13 12:11   ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2012-12-13 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, very nice! I liked the bit where Dave asked about the process
Mari's company uses, and that Mari also went into the issue of "so
*we* use it, but how do we deal with others who don't use it?" An
enjoyable read, thank-you to all involved.
--Sietse

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Andre Caldas
<andre.em.caldas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://www.tug.org/interviews/voipio.html
>> http://www.lucet.fi/craftex
>
> Nice!

* Re: [IN TOPIC] new interview
@ 2012-12-13 19:13 ` Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2012-12-13 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 11:03 AM, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.tug.org/interviews/voipio.html
>
> http://www.lucet.fi/craftex

And here's another one done with MetaPost and ConTeXt that I twiddled
with when on a boring 6-hour flight recently:
http://www.lucet.fi/2012/12/twpatterns/ (pattern D is the one I used
as demo at EuroTeX)

I still need to add the "how I did it" page under CrafTeX, explaining
about the MetaPost code, but there were people who wanted to use the
patterns, so I did that first.

And then there's a simulation system for rigid heddle weaving
(band/ribbon weaving, plain weaving) that I coded last weekend. I just
need to get around to doing the threading charts for that, too, and
then the MP code explained, too.

I've also realized that a lot of the traditionally used patterning is
binary - background-foreground, white-black, base-groove, base-relief,
over-under ... on-off - and can thus be described with a simple
monochrome chart on rectangular grid. The range of techniques is wide
from weaving to knitting to fingerloop braiding to embroidery to
mosaics, but the basic idea is always the same. When I read those
charts, my brain does the on-off thing, background colour is 'off',
pattern colour/foreground color is 'on'. E.g. in brocaded
tabletweaving 'under' (usually 'under 1' is default, so I just
remember the sequence of 'overs' and think '3-1-3' when I'm really
doing 'over 3, under 1, over 1, under 1, over 3'.
[Seems like I have seed to another article here, just don't know where
it'll end up...]

I'm glad you've enjoyed reading the interview. It's been long time
coming, but I didn't get around to finishing it until last week. If my
memory serves me right, Hans was the person who started the whole
process by suggesting that I'd be interviewed. Don't remember any more
what the main reason for this was, it's really been quite a while
since then.

Greetings from (very) snowy Finland,

Mari

* Re: [IN TOPIC] new interview
@ 2012-12-13 19:46     ` Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2012-12-13 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Sietse Brouwer <sbbrouwer@gmail.com> wrote:
> I liked the bit where Dave asked about the process
> Mari's company uses, and that Mari also went into the issue of "so
> *we* use it, but how do we deal with others who don't use it?"

Could you tell that I've had that discussion more than once? Sometimes
I really wonder how difficult it is to understand the sentence "The
original format is *not* a Word (or indeed word processor) document".

"Remind me again why we use this strange and difficult system" is
another all-time favourite that pops up regularly. [The answers are
given in the interview, in case you are reading just this message
without checking out the links.]

Yes, short-term it may appear difficult in an average office
environment. Long-term, I still think ConTeXt was and is the best
alternative out of the available options because of its versatility.
The requirements have changed over the years and will change again - I
foresee tablet-sized interactivity in the near future - but  I have
not needed new tools, just to learn new ways of using what I have. And
the first ConTeXt files I wrote still mostly work; they may need a
little bit of fiddling before compiling on MkIV, but a lot less than
what a structured Word2000 file needs on Word2010 (e.g. TOCs have a
tendency to go bad between versions, figure placement can also be
tricky).

A lot of patience, some fighting spirit (and maybe a bit of luck) is
required if one plans to go the same way, but it can be done and
should be considered as one option among other possibilities.

Regards,

Mari