From: Mari Voipio <mari.voipio@iki.fi>
Subject: Re: context instal
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 09:48:35 +0200	[thread overview]

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 21:36, Marek Jirkovský <mara.jirkovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just
> wonder to have some easy installing package, cause these things - i never
> liked them. it's evil.

There was, but unfortunately it has been broken for a while, it just
couldn't keep up with the software.

It is both an advantage and a disadvantage to ConTeXt that it is a
rapidly developing system. That gives it a lot of flexibility and we
users can have close contact with the developers, so if you wish for
something, you may actually get it, too. On the other hand this means
that things are continuously on the move and sometimes you have to
readjust your coding or your installation to fit the bill.

It also seems that somewhere there's still a link to that old wiki
page on Windows installation, I thought I'd killed them all... Here
are the instructions that worked in September-October 2011, when I
installed a few Windows 7 machines. Unfortunately it still involves
fiddling a bit with file paths, but you only need to do this once;
after that updating is pretty smooth (if the beta isn't broken in some
other way...).

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Windows_Installation:_ConTeXt_Suite_with_SciTe

As the only TeX system I use is ConTeXt, I've been running ConTeXt +
SciTe combo almost from the moment it became available, and I've been
reasonably happy with it most of the time. I admit that when I
migrated my work stuff from Word to ConTeXt, the learning curve was
very steep - and again this week I've spent several hours cursing
non-existent documentation and trying to figure out in what order to
do things. BUT once I get things to work in the way they should,
upkeep is usually easy and I don't risk getting my graphics heavy
files broken like what used to happen with Word. [Just had to go
through another round of fighting over my right to use ConTeXt for
what I do, but it seems that I won this round. Money talks, too,
installing ConTeXt + SciTe on five computers is a lot cheaper than
doing the same with InDesign...]

Hope this helps,

Mari Voipio
ConTeXting in Windows since around 2003