From: Peter Park Nelson <peter.park.nelson@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: \definelayout[first] does not yield to default layout on page 2
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 14:40:12 -0600	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 26.01.2012 um 03:41 schrieb Peter Park Nelson:
>
>> First-page layout is an issue that I have asked about before, but
>> maybe I am doing something wrong. Here is my question in an earlier
>> thread: http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20111228.041922.c60f9cd5.en.html.
>>
>> I want to define a layout for the first page of my document with
>> different header and footer formatting -- specifically, no header and
>> a large footer to hold publication information. Based on examples on
>> Contextgarden and this list, I think my code below is correct.
>> However, the first page formatting is continued on all pages of the
>> document. The effect is the same when using \definelayout[first] and
>> \definelayout[1].
>
> Is MkIV a option for you? The problem had been there for a while as well but now it’s fixed
> you can decide what ConTeXt should do after the first page.
>
> With the “state” you can control whether the layout at the second page should be switched
> back to the global layout with \definelayout[…][state=start] (this is the default setting) or
> it should remain with \definelayout[…][state=repeat].
>
>> \definelayout
>>  [first]
>>  [width=middle,
>>  backspace=15mm,
>>  topspace=10mm,
>>  height=254mm,
>>  header=0mm,      % no header
>>  headerdistance=0mm,
>>  footer=25mm,      % big footer
>>  footerdistance=5mm,
>>  grid=yes]
>
> You have to set only what’s different from the global layout.
>
> \definelayout
>  [first]
>  [header=0mm,
>  headerdistance=0mm,
>  footer=25mm,
>  footerdistance=5mm]
>
> Wolfgang

Wolfgang and Wagner, thank you for taking the time to respond to this.

I am using MkIV. I just updated to the latest beta (I had been running
one beta behind). I was intentionally not using layout inheritance in
my \definelayout commands to eliminate the possibility of a problem in
the inheritance mechanism.

Interaction with columnsets also seems to be part of the problem, as I
will try to explain.

1.  In a layout with no columnset: \definelayout[first] creates a
unique layout for the first page and returns to the default layout on
page 2. BUT from page 3 onwards, the text does not go all the way to
the bottom of the text area (although \showframe indicates that the
text area is correct). A workaround is to add
\definelayout[current][...parameters that undo the first-page
parameters...].

2.  In a layout with a columnset
(\definecolumnset[body][n=2,balancing=yes]): use of
\definelayout[first] causes failure with the error message below.
Ignoring warnings and forcing Context to continue results in a pdf
with \showframe lines drawn correctly, but text not filling the whole
column height, as described previously.

#################

ERROR MESSAGE:

system          > tex > error on line 70 in file J2-pagearea.tex:
Emergency stop ...

60       [footer]
61       [footer]
62
63     \starttext
64     \showframe
65     \showgrid
66
67
68     \startcolumnset[body]
69
70 >>  \dorecurse{40}{\input tufte \par }
71
72     %\input tufte \par
73
74     \stopcolumnset
75
76     \stoptext
77

\OTRSETdoifcellelse ...er #1:\number #2\endcsname
                                                  \@EA \secondoftwoarguments...
\@@ar@@3 ...ellelse {\mofcolumns }\columnlastcell
                                                  {\global \advance \columnl...
\redoloop ->\expandrecursecontent
                                  \endofloop
<to be read again>
                   {
<inserted text>
                44
\endofloop ...expr \recurselevel +\plusone \relax
                                                  }
l.70 \dorecurse{40}{\input tufte \par }

End of file on the terminal!

!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

--
Peter Park Nelson
peter.park.nelson@gmail.com