* \definelayout[first] does not yield to default layout on page 2
@ 2012-01-26  2:41 Peter Park Nelson
From: Peter Park Nelson @ 2012-01-26  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

First-page layout is an issue that I have asked about before, but
maybe I am doing something wrong. Here is my question in an earlier
thread: http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20111228.041922.c60f9cd5.en.html
.

I want to define a layout for the first page of my document with
different header and footer formatting -- specifically, no header and
a large footer to hold publication information. Based on examples on
Contextgarden and this list, I think my code below is correct.
However, the first page formatting is continued on all pages of the
document. The effect is the same when using \definelayout[first] and
\definelayout[1].

%%-------------------------------------------------------------------

setuppapersize[letter][letter]
\setupindenting[yes, medium]

\setuplayout
  [width=middle,
  backspace=15mm,
  topspace=10mm,
  height=254mm,
  header=10mm,  % normal header
  headerdistance=5mm,
  footer=5mm,
  footerdistance=5mm,
  grid=yes]

\definelayout
  [first]
  [width=middle,
  backspace=15mm,
  topspace=10mm,
  height=254mm,
  header=0mm,      % no header
  headerdistance=0mm,
  footer=25mm,      % big footer
  footerdistance=5mm,
  grid=yes]

\definecolumnset[body][n=2,balancing=yes]

\setupheadertexts
  [This is a header]
  [pagenumber]
  [pagenumber]
  [Some text]

\setupfootertexts
  [footer]
  [footer]
  [footer]
  [footer]

\starttext

\startcolumnset[body]

\dorecurse{20}{\input tufte\par}

\stopcolumnset

\stoptext

%%---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,
--
Peter Park Nelson
peter.park.nelson@gmail.com

* Re: \definelayout[first] does not yield to default layout on page 2
@ 2012-01-26 14:18 ` Wagner Macedo
From: Wagner Macedo @ 2012-01-26 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

According to http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Layout#Multiple_layouts, you can
do this by using the commands \setuplayout[yourcustomlayout] and
\setuplayout[reset] at the location you want to change the layout.

--
Wagner Macedo

@ 2012-01-26 17:04   ` Peter Park Nelson
From: Peter Park Nelson @ 2012-01-26 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wagner,

Thanks for pointing this out, it works:

\definelayout
  [1]
  [first page layout...]

\definelayout
  [2]
  [reset] % call for a reset when the second page is reached

\setuplayout
  [default layout...]

But the question of why \definelayout[first] does not work correctly
remains. Perhaps the developers will look into it.

PPN

@ 2012-01-26 17:40   ` Peter Park Nelson
From: Peter Park Nelson @ 2012-01-26 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oh crap, I thought Wagner's solution worked but it doesn't -- quite.

\showframe indicates that the page areas are defined correctly, and
the footer frame on page 2 and later is the correct size. But Context
is not filling the text columns all the way to the bottom; The body
text is still stopping short as though the larger footer was still in
effect.

Frustrating.

@ 2012-01-26 18:11     ` Wagner Macedo
From: Wagner Macedo @ 2012-01-26 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, I never need this, so I thought that information was correct.

I will do some tests when I'll have time to see if works for me.

--
Wagner Macedo

@ 2012-01-26 18:18 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-01-26 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.01.2012 um 03:41 schrieb Peter Park Nelson:

> First-page layout is an issue that I have asked about before, but
> maybe I am doing something wrong. Here is my question in an earlier
> thread: http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20111228.041922.c60f9cd5.en.html.
>
> I want to define a layout for the first page of my document with
> different header and footer formatting -- specifically, no header and
> a large footer to hold publication information. Based on examples on
> Contextgarden and this list, I think my code below is correct.
> However, the first page formatting is continued on all pages of the
> document. The effect is the same when using \definelayout[first] and
> \definelayout[1].

Is MkIV a option for you? The problem had been there for a while as well but now it’s fixed
you can decide what ConTeXt should do after the first page.

With the “state” you can control whether the layout at the second page should be switched
back to the global layout with \definelayout[…][state=start] (this is the default setting) or
it should remain with \definelayout[…][state=repeat].

> \definelayout
>  [first]
>  [width=middle,
>  backspace=15mm,
>  topspace=10mm,
>  height=254mm,
>  header=0mm,      % no header
>  headerdistance=0mm,
>  footer=25mm,      % big footer
>  footerdistance=5mm,
>  grid=yes]

You have to set only what’s different from the global layout.

\definelayout
 [first]
 [header=0mm,
  headerdistance=0mm,
  footer=25mm,
  footerdistance=5mm]

Wolfgang

* Re: \definelayout[first] does not yield to default layout on page 2
@ 2012-01-26 20:40   ` Peter Park Nelson
From: Peter Park Nelson @ 2012-01-26 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 26.01.2012 um 03:41 schrieb Peter Park Nelson:
>
>> First-page layout is an issue that I have asked about before, but
>> maybe I am doing something wrong. Here is my question in an earlier
>> thread: http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20111228.041922.c60f9cd5.en.html.
>>
>> I want to define a layout for the first page of my document with
>> different header and footer formatting -- specifically, no header and
>> a large footer to hold publication information. Based on examples on
>> Contextgarden and this list, I think my code below is correct.
>> However, the first page formatting is continued on all pages of the
>> document. The effect is the same when using \definelayout[first] and
>> \definelayout[1].
>
> Is MkIV a option for you? The problem had been there for a while as well but now it’s fixed
> you can decide what ConTeXt should do after the first page.
>
> With the “state” you can control whether the layout at the second page should be switched
> back to the global layout with \definelayout[…][state=start] (this is the default setting) or
> it should remain with \definelayout[…][state=repeat].
>
>> \definelayout
>>  [first]
>>  [width=middle,
>>  backspace=15mm,
>>  topspace=10mm,
>>  height=254mm,
>>  header=0mm,      % no header
>>  headerdistance=0mm,
>>  footer=25mm,      % big footer
>>  footerdistance=5mm,
>>  grid=yes]
>
> You have to set only what’s different from the global layout.
>
> \definelayout
>  [first]
>  [header=0mm,
>  headerdistance=0mm,
>  footer=25mm,
>  footerdistance=5mm]
>
> Wolfgang

Wolfgang and Wagner, thank you for taking the time to respond to this.

I am using MkIV. I just updated to the latest beta (I had been running
one beta behind). I was intentionally not using layout inheritance in
my \definelayout commands to eliminate the possibility of a problem in
the inheritance mechanism.

Interaction with columnsets also seems to be part of the problem, as I
will try to explain.

1.  In a layout with no columnset: \definelayout[first] creates a
unique layout for the first page and returns to the default layout on
page 2. BUT from page 3 onwards, the text does not go all the way to
the bottom of the text area (although \showframe indicates that the
text area is correct). A workaround is to add
\definelayout[current][...parameters that undo the first-page
parameters...].

2.  In a layout with a columnset
(\definecolumnset[body][n=2,balancing=yes]): use of
\definelayout[first] causes failure with the error message below.
Ignoring warnings and forcing Context to continue results in a pdf
with \showframe lines drawn correctly, but text not filling the whole
column height, as described previously.

#################

ERROR MESSAGE:

system          > tex > error on line 70 in file J2-pagearea.tex:
Emergency stop ...

60       [footer]
61       [footer]
62
63     \starttext
64     \showframe
65     \showgrid
66
67
68     \startcolumnset[body]
69
70 >>  \dorecurse{40}{\input tufte \par }
71
72     %\input tufte \par
73
74     \stopcolumnset
75
76     \stoptext
77

\OTRSETdoifcellelse ...er #1:\number #2\endcsname
                                                  \@EA \secondoftwoarguments...
\@@ar@@3 ...ellelse {\mofcolumns }\columnlastcell
                                                  {\global \advance \columnl...
\redoloop ->\expandrecursecontent
                                  \endofloop
<to be read again>
                   {
<inserted text>
                44
\endofloop ...expr \recurselevel +\plusone \relax
                                                  }
l.70 \dorecurse{40}{\input tufte \par }

End of file on the terminal!

!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

--

@ 2012-01-27  5:01     ` Peter Park Nelson
From: Peter Park Nelson @ 2012-01-27  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Peter Park Nelson
> [...]
> 71
> 72     %\input tufte \par
> 73
> 74     \stopcolumnset
> 75
> 76     \stoptext
> 77
>

> \OTRSETdoifcellelse ...er #1:\number #2\endcsname
>                                                  \@EA \secondoftwoarguments...
> \@@ar@@3 ...ellelse {\mofcolumns }\columnlastcell
>                                                  {\global \advance \columnl...
> \redoloop ->\expandrecursecontent
>                                  \endofloop
> <to be read again>
>                   {
> <inserted text>
>                44
> \endofloop ...expr \recurselevel +\plusone \relax
>                                                  }
> l.70 \dorecurse{40}{\input tufte \par }
>
> End of file on the terminal!
>
> !  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

More testing with the old columns mechanism instead of columnset:

\startcolumns[n=2] produces roughly the same result as no columns, the
text stops short of the bottom of the page. However, the
\definelayout[current] workaround I mentioned does not solve the
problem in this case.

I'm quite willing to abandon the columnset mechanism if I can get a
working solution with columns.

--

@ 2012-02-04  2:33     ` Peter Park Nelson
From: Peter Park Nelson @ 2012-02-04  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)