* \setuppagenumbering doublesided generates blank pages
@ 2019-10-30 18:58 Kerry Sainsbury
From: Kerry Sainsbury @ 2019-10-30 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi there,

I am a newbie, and have *seem* to have discovered that

\setuppagenumbering [alternative=doublesided] generates a blank page
between chapters.

\setupheadertexts[chapter]

\setuppagenumbering [alternative=doublesided,location={header,inmargin}]

\starttext

\startchapter[title={October 2000}]

Blah One

\stopchapter

\startchapter[title={November 2000}]

Blah Two

\stopchapter

\stoptext

This produces a PDF in TeXworks containing 4 pages:

   - Page 1 with a header an 'October 2000' header and 'Blah One' content
   - Page 2 with a header an 'October 2000' header only.
   - Page 3 with a header an 'November 2000' header and 'Blah Two' content
   - Page 4 which is completely blank

If I remove the \setuppagenumbering line the PDF contains just two pages,
with the expected content.

I'm using "ConTeXt ver: 2019.10.11 15:47 MKIV beta fmt: 2019.10.25 int:
english/english"

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just a bug?

Thanks for your help. ConTeXt is making my life *much* easier right now!

Kerry

* Re: \setuppagenumbering doublesided generates blank pages
@ 2019-10-30 19:21 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2019-10-30 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kerry Sainsbury schrieb am 30.10.2019 um 19:58:
> Hi there,
>
> I am a newbie, and have /seem/ to have discovered that
>
> \setuppagenumbering [alternative=doublesided] generates a blank page
> between chapters.
>
> \setupheadertexts[chapter]
>
> \setuppagenumbering [alternative=doublesided,location={header,inmargin}]
>
> \starttext
>
> \startchapter[title={October 2000}]
>
> Blah One
>
> \stopchapter
>
> \startchapter[title={November 2000}]
>
> Blah Two
>
> \stopchapter
>
> \stoptext
>

> This produces a PDF in TeXworks containing 4 pages:
>
>   * Page 1 with a header an 'October 2000' header and 'Blah One' content
>   * Page 2 with a header an 'October 2000' header only.
>   * Page 3 with a header an 'November 2000' header and 'Blah Two' content
>   * Page 4 which is completely blank
>
> If I remove the \setuppagenumbering line the PDF contains just two
> pages, with the expected content.
>
> I'm using "ConTeXt ver: 2019.10.11 15:47 MKIV beta fmt: 2019.10.25
> int: english/english"
>
> Am I doing something wrong, or is this just a bug?

With \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided] you get a doublesided
document
with left and right pages. The default setting for chapters is to start
always on a right page
which can lead to empty left pages.

The normal layout are single sided document
(\setuppagenumbering[alternative=singlesided])
with right pages only which can't lead to empty pages unless you add an
extra check at the
begin of each chapter.

There is also a third mode which creates the same layout on each page
but you can
checl for left and right pages, this mode is enabled with
\setuppagenumber[alternative={singlesided,doublesided}].

Wolfgang

* Re: \setuppagenumbering doublesided generates blank pages
@ 2019-10-30 20:16 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2019-10-30 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 2019-10-30 um 19:58 schrieb Kerry Sainsbury <kerry@fidelma.com>:
>
> Hi there,
>
> I am a newbie, and have seem to have discovered that
> \setuppagenumbering [alternative=doublesided] generates a blank page between chapters.
>
> Am I doing something wrong, or is this just a bug?

What Wolfgang said, and you probably want

\setuphead[chapter][page=yes] % or "no", but not "right"

see https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/setuphead
and https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/page

Greetlings, Hraban
---
https://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.dreiviertelhaus.de
GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

* Re: \setuppagenumbering doublesided generates blank pages
@ 2019-10-30 21:05   ` Kerry Sainsbury
From: Kerry Sainsbury @ 2019-10-30 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)