From: Joey McCollum via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Cc: Joey McCollum <jmccollum20140511@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Short forms and abbreviations in bibliography
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 12:35:26 -0400	[thread overview]

(Quick note for anyone following this thread: I've figured out how to
implement different typesetting rules for list, inline, and short-form
citations; you can see how I've done this in the publ-imp-sbl.mkvi file in
the https://github.com/jjmccollum/context-sbl repository.)

I have another question related to abbreviations/synonyms in connection
with bibliographies. When a bibliographic entry has a "shorthand" field and
I cite it using \cite[alternative=short], I would like to add its shorthand
to the abbreviations list, with a longer citation as its "in-full" form. My
first thought was that I could accomplish this with something like the
following:

```
\startsetups btx:sbl:cite:short
  \btxdoif {shorthand} {
    \abbreviation[\currentbtxtag]{\btxflush{shorthand}}{\btxflush{title}}
  }
\stopsetups
```

But even if I invoke \placelistofabbreviations with the "criterium=all"
option, nothing appears in the list.

In some ways, this issue is related to the now-resolved issue "Which way to
type greek letters in synonym list?" from 2010. The problem is that in this
case, I have to use a macro even in the first input to \abbreviation (in
brackets), because I don't know what it is in advance. In addition, if the
second and third inputs to \abbreviation (in curly braces) are not expanded
until the list is printed, then they will be empty/undefined at the time
when they are needed.

I'm not as familiar with how to deal with expansion problems, so I could
use someone's expertise here. Is there a simple way to define an
abbreviation using the expanded values of macros as above? And is there a
way to invoke an abbreviation/synonym at this level of abstraction?
(Something like \inshort[\currentbtxtag]?)

Thanks!

Joey