From: Joey McCollum via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Cc: Joey McCollum <jmccollum20140511@gmail.com>
Subject: Different author rendering in entry citation vs. list
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 17:45:19 -0400	[thread overview]

I'm trying to implement a custom bibliography rendering where in-text
citations (specifically, citations with alternative=entry) are not
identical to the entries in the bibliography list. Following a pattern I've
seen in publ-imp-chicago.mkvi, I've been able to implement most of the
features I'm interested in by using conditional formatting with a mode that
is specifically set for citations with the "entry" alternative. I'd also
like for author names in entry citations to be different author names in
list entries, in the following ways:

   - In entry citations, authorconversion should be normal, while in list
   entries, authorconversion should be inverted (more specifically, the first
   name should be inverted, while all subsequent names should be in normal
   order...but if this is too complicated, then it may be an issue for another
   e-mail thread, and we can just focus on normal vs. inverted for now).
   - In entry citations, "et al." should be used for any names after the
   third name, while in list entries, all names should be printed in full.

I thought that the following settings would work:

\definebtx
  [sbl:\s!list]
  [sbl]
  [\c!otherstext=,
  \c!etallimit=,
  \c!etaldisplay=,
  \c!etaloption=,
  \c!authorconversion=inverted] % TODO: need to print the first name
inverted, with all subsequent names in normal order

\definebtx
  [sbl:\s!cite]
  [sbl]
  [\c!otherstext={\btxspace\btxlabeltext{others}}, % use et al. for
truncated author / editor list
   \c!etallimit=3, % don't use et al. for 3 or fewer authors
   \c!etaldisplay=3, %
   \c!authorconversion=\v!normal] % by default, use normal name order for
in-text citations

But only the "list" settings seem to be used. I suspect this might be
because the setup for "entry" citations invokes \btxhandleciteentry and
therefore uses "list" settings everywhere except where I check modes for
conditional formatting. But is there a command or environment I can use to
change authorconversion locally, based on the current mode, in the helper
methods I've defined for rendering bibliography entries?

Thanks!

Joey