It may also be relevant to mention a related feature of SBL style: (3) The "et al." string is used for more than three authors for in-text citations, but all authors are listed in full in the list of publications. In publ-imp-chicago.mkvi (probably the most similar style to SBL), the etallimit and etaldisplay parameters are set to the default values: \definebtx [chicago:\s!list] [chicago] %[\c!otherstext={\btxcomma\btxnobreakspace\textellipsis\space}, % \c!etallimit=7, % \c!etaldisplay=6, % \c!etaloption=last, [\c!authorconversion=inverted] But the definition for in-text citations sets both of these parameters to 1: \definebtx [chicago:\s!cite] [chicago] [\c!alternative=authoryear, \c!otherstext={\btxcomma\btxlabeltext{others}}, \c!etallimit=1, \c!etaldisplay=1, \c!authorconversion=\v!name, \c!sorttype=normal, % \v!normal ? \c!style=, \c!compress=\v!yes] % note that cite sorts only work with compress=yes. Now, if I cite a source in-text using the "author" alternative, this rule is applied, but if I cite a source in-text using the "entry" alternative, the printed citation follows the rules for [chicago:\s!list], even though the citation style for the "entry" alternative is explicitly defined to inherit from [chicago:\s!cite]: \definebtx [chicago:\s!cite:entry] [chicago:\s!cite] [\c!left=, \c!right=, \c!inbetween={\btxspace}, \c!separator:2={\btxsemicolon}, \c!separator:3=\btxparameter{\c!separator:2}, \c!separator:4=\btxparameter{\c!separator:2}] Is the "entry" alternative just hardcoded to match the list citation, or am I missing something? Joey On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 2:12 PM Joey McCollum wrote: > Hi, > > I'm currently working on implementing a new citation rendering for SBL > style. One of the challenges of this style is that it specifies slightly > different rules for citations in the text (which are generally expected to > look like citations made with the "entry" alternative) and entries in the > final list of publications. The two most common differences are > (1) Authors in the in-text citation are printed in normal form (i.e., > first name followed by last name), while authors in the list citation are > printed in inverted for for the first author and normal form for all > subsequent authors. > (2) Most fields in the in-text citation are separated by commas, while the > list citation uses periods in these places. > > Is there already a mechanism for handling this for another citation style? > And if not, could anyone offer a suggestion on how I might go about > implementing separate rules for in-text citations and list citations? > > Thanks! > > Joey >