From: Joey McCollum via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Cc: Joey McCollum <jmccollum20140511@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Short forms and abbreviations in bibliography
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 18:11:16 -0400	[thread overview]

Just continuing to talk my way through the inner workings of the ConTeXt
Publication modules. It looks like three "long" citation forms are defined
in publ-imp-cite.mkvi:

\startsetups btx:cite:listelement
    \fastsetup{\s!btx:\s!cite:concat}
    \fastsetup{\s!btx:\s!cite:lefttext}
    \ifx\currentbtxfirst\empty
        \fastsetup{\s!btx:\s!cite:\s!empty}
    \else
       \texdefinition {\s!btx:\s!cite:inject} {
           \btxcitereference
           \currentbtxfirst
       }
    \fi
    \fastsetup{\s!btx:\s!cite:righttext}
\stopsetups

\startsetups \s!btx:\s!cite:entry
    \fastsetup{\s!btx:\s!cite:concat}
    \fastsetup{\s!btx:\s!cite:lefttext}
    \btxhandleciteentry
    \fastsetup{\s!btx:\s!cite:righttext}
\stopsetups

\startsetups \s!btx:\s!cite:footnote
    \startfootnote
        \fastsetup{btx:cite:entry}
    \stopfootnote
\stopsetups

Intuitively, I would expect btx:cite:listelement [why not
\s!btx:\s!cite:listelement?] to handle rendering a bibliographic entry for
the bibliography proper (i.e., the list typically placed at the end of a
document), while \s!btx:\s!cite:entry would handle in-text citations. The
third setup, \s!btx:\s!cite:footnote, simply renders the "entry"-style
citation in a footnote.

But as far as I can tell, the "listelement" setup is never used outside of
publ-imp-cite.mkvi. Only the "entry" setup appears to be used. Meanwhile,
the \btxcitereference and  \btxhandleciteentry macros (invoked in these
setups) appear to be defined in publ-ini.mkiv:

\unexpanded\def\btx_cite_reference_inject
  {\ifconditional\c_btx_cite_reference_injected
   \else
     \dontleavehmode
     \iftrialtypesetting \else
       \ifx\currentbtxbacklink\empty
         % can be made empty when combining author / year
       \else\ifnum\currentbtxbacklink>\zerocount
         \btx_cite_reference_inject_indeed
         \settrue\c_btx_cite_reference_injected
       \fi\fi
     \fi
  \fi}

\let\btxcitereference\btx_cite_reference_inject

\unexpanded\def\btxhandleciteentry
  {\dontleavehmode
   \begingroup
   \def\currentbtxcitealternative{entry}%
   \setbtxparameterset\s!cite\currentbtxcitealternative % needs checking
   \btxcitereference
   \btx_entry_inject
   \endgroup}

My next step will be to figure out what these are doing, but I'm still not
sure if the module accommodates rendering in-text "entry" citations
differently than citations in the list.

Joey