From: Joey McCollum via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Cc: Joey McCollum <jmccollum20140511@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Short forms and abbreviations in bibliography
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 14:35:04 -0400	[thread overview]

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 10466 bytes --]

All right, I think I see what I did wrong; I just needed to enclose the
whole \abbreviation command in an \expanded command as follows:

```
\startsetups btx:sbl:cite:short
  \btxdoif {shorthand} {

\expanded{\abbreviation[\currentbtxtag]{\btxflush{shorthand}}{\btxflush{title}}}
  }
\stopsetups
```

It looks like passing the macro \currentbtxtag as the tag for the
abbreviation works fine. And if I redefine the abbreviations synonyms list
as follows, I can use \inshort[\currentbtxtag]:

```
\definesynonyms[abbreviation][abbreviations][\infull][\inshort]
```

I'll add more to the thread if I run into any problems making this more
complex!

Joey