* Re: Lua script not registered
@ 2011-12-03 16:55 John Kitzmiller
From: John Kitzmiller @ 2011-12-03 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

---Mojca wrote:

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 04:56, John Kitzmiller wrote:

> I think I can get this setuptex.bat automated for random context runs but,
>
> for some reason(s) C:>context somefile.tex will not work globally on my
> personal computer (Lenovo x100e) over which I have admin control (maybe I
am
> not a good admin?) and I have added C:\context\tex\texmf-mswin\bin to my
> PATH
>
> I still get "Lua script not registered" complaint when I try to compile
> outside of C:\context directory
>
> I suppose I could live with keeping all binaries and docs in C:\context,
but
> that is not so inviting compared to being able to pdfLaTeX a doc over
> Dropbox via MikTeX for example.

You need to have C:\context\tex\texmf-mswin\bin in front of MikTeX's
bin, else the command "context" will use LuaTeX from MikTeX and that
one won't find ConTeXt scripts.

However, you might stumble into some problems with LaTeX then, but it
might be possible to remove pdfTeX (during installation of ConTeXt you
can say --engines=luatex) and then it will be unlikely that you will
want to use the same binary with ConTeXt and LaTeX (I have no idea how
kpathsea would work in such a scenario).

Mojca

end of quote ---

Good thinking Mojca! Moving C:\context up in PATH has done the trick from
the command line. Now I will fuss getting editor to work.

I compiled a few of my standard docs through MiKTeX pdflatex and mpost docs
with no conflict so far. Thank you so much for the suggestion and thanks to
luigi and Hans for their help too.

Then I will read and play with wonderful ConTeXt manuals and generate a
million more questions ;)

--johnk

* Re: Lua script not registered
@ 2011-12-03 11:05 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-12-03 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 4:56 AM, John Kitzmiller <jkitzm@gmail.com> wrote:
> Replying to the list in this manner--having to retype the subject--is
> unusual to me, and I hope it does not create problems for the list. Please
> help me on how to reply within the mail archive to make more efficient. Many
> thanks to those who have replied on the topic!
I  use gmail --- I mean the web interface https://mail.google.com ---
without any problem.

--
luigi

* Re: Lua script not registered
@ 2011-12-03 10:52 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-12-03 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3-12-2011 04:56, John Kitzmiller wrote:
> Replying to the list in this manner--having to retype the subject--is
> unusual to me, and I hope it does not create problems for the list. Please
> help me on how to reply within the mail archive to make more efficient.
> Many thanks to those who have replied on the topic!
>
> Thank you, Aditya--
>
> I had run C:\context\tex\setuptex.bat and then tried
>
> C:\context>context firstfile.tex
>
> which worked (now down to 3+ secs from 11+ at first run--file = \starttext
> Hello World \stoptext)
>
> I think I can get this setuptex.bat automated for random context runs but,
>
> for some reason(s) C:>context somefile.tex will not work globally on my
> personal computer (Lenovo x100e) over which I have admin control (maybe I
> am not a good admin?) and I have added C:\context\tex\texmf-mswin\bin to my
> PATH
>
> I still get "Lua script not registered" complaint when I try to compile
> outside of C:\context directory
>
> I suppose I could live with keeping all binaries and docs in C:\context,
> but that is not so inviting compared to being able to pdfLaTeX a doc over
> Dropbox via MikTeX for example.

I use windows here and it works ok, so it should be possible to get it
working. In principle the only thing needed is to add the tex bin path
to the environment variable PATH (beware there are two of them). From an
editor, you can best run 'mtxrun --script context ...'.

Is the cache generated? Has there been an initial 'mtxrun --generate'?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-12-03  9:30 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-12-03  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 04:56, John Kitzmiller wrote:

> I think I can get this setuptex.bat automated for random context runs but,
>
> for some reason(s) C:>context somefile.tex will not work globally on my
> personal computer (Lenovo x100e) over which I have admin control (maybe I am
> not a good admin?) and I have added C:\context\tex\texmf-mswin\bin to my
> PATH
>
> I still get "Lua script not registered" complaint when I try to compile
> outside of C:\context directory
>
> I suppose I could live with keeping all binaries and docs in C:\context, but
> that is not so inviting compared to being able to pdfLaTeX a doc over
> Dropbox via MikTeX for example.

You need to have C:\context\tex\texmf-mswin\bin in front of MikTeX's
bin, else the command "context" will use LuaTeX from MikTeX and that
one won't find ConTeXt scripts.

However, you might stumble into some problems with LaTeX then, but it
might be possible to remove pdfTeX (during installation of ConTeXt you
can say --engines=luatex) and then it will be unlikely that you will
want to use the same binary with ConTeXt and LaTeX (I have no idea how
kpathsea would work in such a scenario).

Mojca

* Lua script not registered
@ 2011-12-03  3:56 John Kitzmiller
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: John Kitzmiller @ 2011-12-03  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

[...]

--John

* Re: Lua script not registered
@ 2011-12-02 23:36 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-12-02 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011, John Kitzmiller wrote:

> I hope this does not open another thread with the same name, but I did not
> find a way to respond directly within the archive--something else I am
> missing or will ntg find the reference? Here it goes...
>
> Thank you for response luigi. The story:
>
> OS = Windows7 professional
> I also have MikTeX installed which I use routinely for pdfLaTeX and
> METAPOST from TeXworks
>
> download context-setup-mswin.zip<http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/context-setup-mswin.zip>
> from
> the wiki
> unzip to  C:\context
> run from shell  C:\context>first-setup.bat --modules=all
> add to PATH  C:\context\tex\texmf-mswin\bin\
> run from shell  C:\context>first-setup.bat --keep
>
> Then create tex file \starttext Hello world \stopptext  in different
> location.
>
> Navigate shell to that location and  >context firstfile.tex

Before you run "context filename" you need to run
"C:\context\tex\setuptex.bat" to set all the paths. After that "context
filename" should work fine.

If you still get the "script not registered" error, then run "luatools
--generate" after runing setuptex.

Aditya

* Re: Lua script not registered
@ 2011-12-02 22:46 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-12-02 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2-12-2011 23:42, John Kitzmiller wrote:
> I hope this does not open another thread with the same name, but I did not
> find a way to respond directly within the archive--something else I am
> missing or will ntg find the reference? Here it goes...
>
> Thank you for response luigi. The story:
>
> OS = Windows7 professional
> I also have MikTeX installed which I use routinely for pdfLaTeX and
> METAPOST from TeXworks
>
> download context-setup-mswin.zip<http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/context-setup-mswin.zip>
> from
> the wiki
> unzip to  C:\context
> run from shell  C:\context>first-setup.bat --modules=all
> add to PATH  C:\context\tex\texmf-mswin\bin\
> run from shell  C:\context>first-setup.bat --keep
>
> Then create tex file \starttext Hello world \stopptext  in different
> location.
>
> Navigate shell to that location and>context firstfile.tex
>
> Result is  message
> context: The Lua script is not registered.
> context: Data: context
>
> Aha! I tried moving firstfile.tex into C:\context and then run and it
> works, but takes 11.62 seconds--not so good.

Each run? On my (over 5 years old) machine a Hello world takes less than
a second.

> However, I still get Lua script not registered when I try to run from other
> file locations, which makes me think it is PATH problem that I will
> continue to chase but if anything looks obvious please help.

Can you install the standalone distribution from the garden and see if
that one works?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Lua script not registered
@ 2011-12-02 22:42 John Kitzmiller
From: John Kitzmiller @ 2011-12-02 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2011-12-02 16:29 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-12-02 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 5:04 PM, John Kitzmiller <jkitzm@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Trying to make my first doc with ConTeXt (Win7, standalone install) I get
> the error:
>
> context: The Lua script is not registered
> context: Data: context
>
> and I am taken back to the command prompt. Nothing is produced.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> What did I overlook?
>
> After `texing otherwise for years I am really looking forward to diving into
> ConTeXt.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Under linux, save this as test.tex
\starttext \input tufte \stoptext

and the on a shell

$> context test.tex

You should have test.pdf with one page.

Otherwise, we need more infos (OS, which context standalone, test file...)

--
luigi

* Lua script not registered
@ 2011-12-02 16:04 John Kitzmiller