* [NTG-context] Math manual
@ 2024-06-14  7:46 Mikael Sundqvist
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Mikael Sundqvist @ 2024-06-14  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

Hans just uploaded a new version. I am not writing about the news in
that version (although there are some fun things!), but rather to
announce that the math manual is finally included.

We have been working on and off since 2021 on math and therefore also
on this document, and we finally believe that both math and the
document are now in a state that should be sufficiently useful and not
too confusing. You can find a screen and a paper version:

./tex/texmf-context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals/mathincontext-screen.pdf
./tex/texmf-context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals/mathincontext-paper.pdf

The versions are generated from the same tex files, so the content
(except for some chapter pages only available in the screen version)
should be the same.

We hope that this will be useful for all of you who use math in your
documents. If you have any questions, find any errors, or miss
something, please let us know. We consider the document not to be
finished, so there will be updates. Also, we will also at some point
include the tex files, but that will have to wait a bit.

/Hans and Mikael

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: Math manual
@ 2024-06-14 10:14 ` Alex
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Alex @ 2024-06-14 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excellent! Thanks for the great effort.

BR,

Alex

@ 2024-06-14 20:26 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2024-06-14 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 14 Jun 2024, Mikael Sundqvist wrote:

> Hans just uploaded a new version. I am not writing about the news in
> that version (although there are some fun things!), but rather to
> announce that the math manual is finally included.
>
> We have been working on and off since 2021 on math and therefore also
> on this document, and we finally believe that both math and the
> document are now in a state that should be sufficiently useful and not
> too confusing. You can find a screen and a paper version:

Thank you for the excellent and well written manual! Now there is no excuse for mathematicians not to use ConTeXt :-)

Aditya

@ 2024-06-14 21:22 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2024-06-14 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans and Mikael,

I just could update to the latest ConTeXt (after afew hassles with xattr on MacOS…), and went straight to find mathincontext-screen.pdf.
Thank you so much for this superbe manual! It is really wonderful in all aspects!

As Aditya says, there is no excuse for mathematicians not to use ConTeXt (apart the usual laziness in many of my colleagues…).

Best regards: Otared

> On 14 Jun 2024, at 09:46, Mikael Sundqvist <mickep@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> Hans just uploaded a new version. I am not writing about the news in
> that version (although there are some fun things!), but rather to
> announce that the math manual is finally included.
>
> We have been working on and off since 2021 on math and therefore also
> on this document, and we finally believe that both math and the
> document are now in a state that should be sufficiently useful and not
> too confusing. You can find a screen and a paper version:
>
> ./tex/texmf-context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals/mathincontext-screen.pdf
> ./tex/texmf-context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals/mathincontext-paper.pdf
>
> The versions are generated from the same tex files, so the content
> (except for some chapter pages only available in the screen version)
> should be the same.
>
> We hope that this will be useful for all of you who use math in your
> documents. If you have any questions, find any errors, or miss
> something, please let us know. We consider the document not to be
> finished, so there will be updates. Also, we will also at some point
> include the tex files, but that will have to wait a bit.
>
> /Hans and Mikael
>
> maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl
> webpage  : https://www.pragma-ade.nl / https://context.aanhet.net (mirror)
> archive  : https://github.com/contextgarden/context
> wiki     : https://wiki.contextgarden.net

Otared Kavian
e-mail: otared@gmail.com
Phone: +33 6 88 26 70 95

@ 2024-06-15 14:59   ` Jethro Djan
From: Jethro Djan @ 2024-06-15 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans and Mikael,

The manual is great. Solves most of my challenges. Very handy as I am also
writing a math thesis in it. Off topic but does anyone have a source for a
RECENT math presentation they wrote using ConTeXt they can share?  Would be
very helpful.

Thanks for your hard work.

Jethro

@ 2024-06-15 15:39   ` Jeong Dal via ntg-context
From: Jeong Dal via ntg-context @ 2024-06-15 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Hans and Mikael,

I appreciate for all the efforts to make a nicer math output and for the math manual.
I hope that a few problems in math are gone away in this new version.

The math writing in ConTeXt was getting better and better to this point.
I’ll learn many things from this manual.

Thanks again and have a nice weekend.

Best regards,

Dalyoung

@ 2024-06-16 10:39     ` Fabrice Couvreur
From: Fabrice Couvreur @ 2024-06-16 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you for this document which will help many people, including me.
Quick question : this document seems to have been written in the Pagella
font : is this correct ? Why this choice : Personal ? The most complete and
nice font ?
Fabrice

@ 2024-06-16 11:18       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2024-06-16 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6/16/2024 12:39 PM, Fabrice Couvreur wrote:
> Hi,
> Thank you for this document which will help many people, including me.
> Quick question : this document seems to have been written in the Pagella
> font : is this correct ? Why this choice : Personal ? The most complete
> and nice font ?
Indeed.

Cambria is the reference of course but Pagella is free and we like it.
We could have gone Lucida but it's not free either (but rather cheap and
we fixed some in the process). Euler is also nice. We also had Bonum for
a while (a bit bolder). Of course most fonts share alphabets. The Xits
font is quite complete but kind of standard boring. We definitely will
never for a can-of-worms sans for a document like this.

That said: all fonts needed tweaks, some more than others, because there
is the inconsistent curious mix of font parameters, traditional and
opentype properties etc to deal with, much of which we published about
in e.g. TB in the process (as well as in documents in the
distribuition). There ars also math companion fonts in the distribition
that fix consistency issues in fonts (we consider most to be frozen).

Concerning complete: many unicode math characters are dubious and we
wonder what they're used for, if at all while some other handy math
symbols are missing.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: Math manual
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2024-06-16 16:59 ` skyhorse--- via ntg-context
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: skyhorse--- via ntg-context @ 2024-06-16 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mikael Sundqvist <mickep@gmail.com> wrote:

> ./tex/texmf-context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals/mathincontext-screen.pdf
> ./tex/texmf-context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals/mathincontext-paper.pdf

Sorry about my locational ignorance, but where can I view this document?

I only have  - math-mkiv.pdf
       	     - math-tweaks.pdf
    in my dir:    /opt/context-lmtx/tex/texmf-context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals

Can you please provide me with the URL to the directory?

Thank you

@ 2024-06-16 17:19   ` Jethro Djan
From: Jethro Djan @ 2024-06-16 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 16 Jun 2024 at 5:13 PM, skyhorse--- via ntg-context <
ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> Mikael Sundqvist <mickep@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> ./tex/texmf-context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals/mathincontext-screen.pdf
> >
> ./tex/texmf-context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals/mathincontext-paper.pdf
> >

> Sorry about my locational ignorance, but where can I view this document?

I think if you update to the latest using
sh install.sh
once you are in your ConTeXt directory, you should find it there where
Mikael says it is.

Jethro

@ 2024-06-16 17:20   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2024-06-16 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

skyhorse--- via ntg-context schrieb am 16.06.2024 um 18:59:
> Mikael Sundqvist <mickep@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ./tex/texmf-context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals/mathincontext-screen.pdf
>> ./tex/texmf-context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals/mathincontext-paper.pdf
>>

> Sorry about my locational ignorance, but where can I view this document?
>
> I only have  - math-mkiv.pdf
>         	     - math-tweaks.pdf
>      in my dir:    /opt/context-lmtx/tex/texmf-context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals
>

> Can you please provide me with the URL to the directory?

You need at least version 2024.06.14 to get the manuals, if they are
missing on your system the installed context version is tool old.

Another way to get the manuals is from the Pragma website:

- https://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mathincontext-paper.pdf
- https://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mathincontext-screen.pdf

Wolfgang

@ 2024-06-17 15:10   ` Gerion Entrup