* Two questions on \definefallbackfamily
@ 2014-04-25 19:56 Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2014-04-25 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

1) If i write
%%%
\definefontfamily [luface] [rm] [Adobe Garamond Pro][opticalsize=yes]
\definefontfamily [luface] [ss] [FrutigerLTstd][opticalsize=yes]
\definefallbackfamily [luface] [math] [Adobe Garamond Pro]
[math:uppercasenormal]
\definefallbackfamily [luface] [math] [Adobe Garamond Pro]
[math:uppercaseitalic]
\definefallbackfamily [luface] [math] [Adobe Garamond Pro]
[math:lowercasenormal]
\definefallbackfamily [luface] [math] [Adobe Garamond Pro]
[math:lowercaseitalic]
\definefallbackfamily [luface] [math] [Adobe Garamond Pro] [math:digitsnormal]
\definefontfamily [luface] [math] [Tex Gyre Pagella Math]
\definebodyfontenvironment[18pt]
\setupbodyfont[luface,18pt]
%%%

it works well. What if I want to change TeX Gyre Pagella Math to
Iwona? It turns out I cannot just change it to "Iwona", "iwona",
"Iwona Math", ... Other fonts seem to work, but Iwona no?

2) Say that I change the third last line above into

\definefontfamily [luface] [math] [Tex Gyre Pagella Math][scale=0.8]

to make the fonts fit better in size. Then the Adobe Garamond Pro in
math mode also scales with the factor 0.8, which looks bad. Is there a
way to scale only the TeX Gyre Pagella Math? Adding scale=1 to the
\definefallbackfamily commands does not seem to change anything.

/Mikael

* Re: Two questions on \definefallbackfamily
@ 2014-04-27 14:58 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2014-04-27 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 25.04.2014 um 21:56 schrieb Mikael P. Sundqvist <mickep@gmail.com>:

> Hi!
>
> 1) If i write
> %%%
> \definefontfamily [luface] [rm] [Adobe Garamond Pro][opticalsize=yes]
> \definefontfamily [luface] [ss] [FrutigerLTstd][opticalsize=yes]
> \definefallbackfamily [luface] [math] [Adobe Garamond Pro]
> [math:uppercasenormal]
> \definefallbackfamily [luface] [math] [Adobe Garamond Pro]
> [math:uppercaseitalic]
> \definefallbackfamily [luface] [math] [Adobe Garamond Pro]
> [math:lowercasenormal]
> \definefallbackfamily [luface] [math] [Adobe Garamond Pro]
> [math:lowercaseitalic]
> \definefallbackfamily [luface] [math] [Adobe Garamond Pro] [math:digitsnormal]
> \definefontfamily [luface] [math] [Tex Gyre Pagella Math]
> \definebodyfontenvironment[18pt]
> \setupbodyfont[luface,18pt]
> %%%
>
> it works well. What if I want to change TeX Gyre Pagella Math to
> Iwona? It turns out I cannot just change it to "Iwona", "iwona",
> "Iwona Math", ... Other fonts seem to work, but Iwona no?

When you set a math font the command looks first if there exists
a font with the requested font and when this isn’t the case it tries
to load a typescript with the given name.

The problem with Iwona is that there is a font with this name
in TeXLive or the context suite and \definefontfamily therefore
tries to load the font. Even though this isn’t enough because
you need a font in the opentype math format to use it as math
font and this isn’t the case for Iwona.

What you can do is to use the \definetypeface command to load
the iwona math font:

    \definetypeface [luface] [mm] [math] [iwona] [default]

> 2) Say that I change the third last line above into
>
> \definefontfamily [luface] [math] [Tex Gyre Pagella Math][scale=0.8]
>
> to make the fonts fit better in size. Then the Adobe Garamond Pro in
> math mode also scales with the factor 0.8, which looks bad. Is there a
> way to scale only the TeX Gyre Pagella Math? Adding scale=1 to the
> \definefallbackfamily commands does not seem to change anything.

You have to use a value larger than 1 because size is relative to the size of the math font.

  \definefallbackfamily [luface] [math] [Adobe Garamond Pro] [preset=math:lowercasenormal,scale=1.25]

Wolfgang

* Re: Two questions on \definefallbackfamily
@ 2014-04-28 12:38   ` Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2014-04-28 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 25.04.2014 um 21:56 schrieb Mikael P. Sundqvist <mickep@gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> 1) If i write
>> %%%
>> \definefontfamily [luface] [rm] [Adobe Garamond Pro][opticalsize=yes]
>> \definefontfamily [luface] [ss] [FrutigerLTstd][opticalsize=yes]
>> \definefallbackfamily [luface] [math] [Adobe Garamond Pro]
>> [math:uppercasenormal]
>> \definefallbackfamily [luface] [math] [Adobe Garamond Pro]
>> [math:uppercaseitalic]
>> \definefallbackfamily [luface] [math] [Adobe Garamond Pro]
>> [math:lowercasenormal]
>> \definefallbackfamily [luface] [math] [Adobe Garamond Pro]
>> [math:lowercaseitalic]
>> \definefallbackfamily [luface] [math] [Adobe Garamond Pro] [math:digitsnormal]
>> \definefontfamily [luface] [math] [Tex Gyre Pagella Math]
>> \definebodyfontenvironment[18pt]
>> \setupbodyfont[luface,18pt]
>> %%%
>>
>> it works well. What if I want to change TeX Gyre Pagella Math to
>> Iwona? It turns out I cannot just change it to "Iwona", "iwona",
>> "Iwona Math", ... Other fonts seem to work, but Iwona no?
>
> When you set a math font the command looks first if there exists
> a font with the requested font and when this isn’t the case it tries
> to load a typescript with the given name.
>
> The problem with Iwona is that there is a font with this name
> in TeXLive or the context suite and \definefontfamily therefore
> tries to load the font. Even though this isn’t enough because
> you need a font in the opentype math format to use it as math
> font and this isn’t the case for Iwona.
>
> What you can do is to use the \definetypeface command to load
> the iwona math font:
>
>     \definetypeface [luface] [mm] [math] [iwona] [default]
>
>> 2) Say that I change the third last line above into
>>
>> \definefontfamily [luface] [math] [Tex Gyre Pagella Math][scale=0.8]
>>
>> to make the fonts fit better in size. Then the Adobe Garamond Pro in
>> math mode also scales with the factor 0.8, which looks bad. Is there a
>> way to scale only the TeX Gyre Pagella Math? Adding scale=1 to the
>> \definefallbackfamily commands does not seem to change anything.
>

> You have to use a value larger than 1 because size is relative to the size of the math font.
>
>   \definefallbackfamily [luface] [math] [Adobe Garamond Pro] [preset=math:lowercasenormal,scale=1.25]
>
> Wolfgang

Thank you very much for your answer, Wolfgang. I can't get it to work
with iwona being substituted.

With the example file below all math is in iwona (see the attached
file). What am I doing wrong?

Best regards, Mikael

PS: I know I first asked to have Garamond instead of iwona, but this
was out of laziness. I'd rather try the look of FrutigerLTstd and
iwona. If someone has a suggestion of a math font that could fit to
Frutiger, I am all ears (this is a font used by the university).

%%% Example file
\definefontfamily [lundfaces] [rm] [Adobe Garamond Pro][opticalsize=yes]
\definefontfamily [lundfaces] [ss] [FrutigerLTstd][opticalsize=yes]

\definefallbackfamily [lundfaces] [math] [FrutigerLTstd] [math:uppercasenormal]
\definefallbackfamily [lundfaces] [math] [FrutigerLTstd] [math:uppercaseitalic]
\definefallbackfamily [lundfaces] [math] [FrutigerLTstd]
[preset=math:lowercasenormal,scale=1.25]
\definefallbackfamily [lundfaces] [math] [FrutigerLTstd] [math:lowercaseitalic]
\definefallbackfamily [lundfaces] [math] [FrutigerLTstd] [math:digitsnormal]
\definetypeface [lundfaces] [mm] [math] [iwona] [default]

\setupbodyfont[lundfaces,ss]

\starttext
Hello {\em abc} $abc$ $\alpha\beta\gamma$
\startformula
\int_a^b  f(x)\, dx
\stopformula
\stoptext
%%% Stop example file

[-- Attachment #2: test.pdf --]

* Re: Two questions on \definefallbackfamily
@ 2014-04-28 13:02     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2014-04-28 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 28.04.2014 um 14:38 schrieb Mikael P. Sundqvist <mickep@gmail.com>:

> Thank you very much for your answer, Wolfgang. I can't get it to work
> with iwona being substituted.
>
> With the example file below all math is in iwona (see the attached
> file). What am I doing wrong?

The fallback mechanism for math fonts does only work when you have
a opentype math font but not with old type1 fonts.

Wolfgang

* Re: Two questions on \definefallbackfamily
@ 2014-04-28 13:32       ` Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2014-04-28 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 3:02 PM, Wolfgang Schuster