* frac and tfrac with sqrt
@ 2014-10-03 11:30 Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2014-10-03 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

Is this (see frac.pdf) the expected output of \frac and \tfrac in
combination with \sqrt? To me the \sqrt{3} looks too big in \tfrac.

I attach also the output from the corresponding latex document, having
the result I expect.

Best regards, Mikael

PS Compilation done with latest standalone

[-- Attachment #2: frac.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: frac.tex --]

[-- Attachment #4: lfrac.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #5: lfrac.tex --]

* Re: frac and tfrac with sqrt
@ 2014-10-06 12:42 ` Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2014-10-06 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Mikael P. Sundqvist <mickep@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is this (see frac.pdf) the expected output of \frac and \tfrac in
> combination with \sqrt? To me the \sqrt{3} looks too big in \tfrac.
>
> I attach also the output from the corresponding latex document, having
> the result I expect.
>
> Best regards, Mikael
>
> PS Compilation done with latest standalone

Sorry to bump. No one? Is it a feature?

Best regards, Mikael

* Re: frac and tfrac with sqrt
@ 2014-10-06 14:12   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2014-10-06 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 6 Oct 2014, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Mikael P. Sundqvist <mickep@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Is this (see frac.pdf) the expected output of \frac and \tfrac in
>> combination with \sqrt? To me the \sqrt{3} looks too big in \tfrac.
>>
>> I attach also the output from the corresponding latex document, having
>> the result I expect.
>>
>> Best regards, Mikael
>>
>> PS Compilation done with latest standalone
>
> Sorry to bump. No one? Is it a feature?

No, definitely a bug.

I don't know how to fix it though.

Aditya

* Re: frac and tfrac with sqrt
@ 2014-10-06 21:32     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2014-10-06 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 06.10.2014 um 16:12 schrieb Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>:

> On Mon, 6 Oct 2014, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Mikael P. Sundqvist <mickep@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Is this (see frac.pdf) the expected output of \frac and \tfrac in
>>> combination with \sqrt? To me the \sqrt{3} looks too big in \tfrac.
>>>
>>> I attach also the output from the corresponding latex document, having
>>> the result I expect.
>>>
>>> Best regards, Mikael
>>>
>>> PS Compilation done with latest standalone
>>
>> Sorry to bump. No one? Is it a feature?
>
> No, definitely a bug.
>
> I don't know how to fix it though.

\setupmathradical[alternative=default]

Wolfgang

* Re: frac and tfrac with sqrt
@ 2014-10-07  5:33       ` Mikael P. Sundqvist
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2014-10-07  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 11:32 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:
> \setupmathradical[alternative=default]

Very good!

Hans, will the default be default in next beta? :)

Best regards, Mikael

* Re: frac and tfrac with sqrt
@ 2014-10-07  7:20         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-10-07  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 10/7/2014 7:33 AM, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 11:32 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:
>> \setupmathradical[alternative=default]
>
> Very good!
>
> Hans, will the default be default in next beta? :)

no, but there will be different settings ... the problem with fractions
and radicals and their mixing is that we have to (somehow) deal with
unpredictable math styles (and esp in radicals there are fuzzy concepts
like 'the surrounding style is used' while inside a different one is
used (all a side effect of parsing first and generating next)

anyway, the next release will have a split setup for display and inline
and (hopefully) work as intended (the major bottleneck is not the
radical but \text and it's kind o ftricky to get both of them okay at
the same time)

and of course we also want the plugins (mp) and coloring and so working

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: frac and tfrac with sqrt
@ 2014-10-07 11:57           ` Keith J. Schultz
From: Keith J. Schultz @ 2014-10-07 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 07.10.2014 um 09:20 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:

> On 10/7/2014 7:33 AM, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 11:32 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
>> <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> \setupmathradical[alternative=default]
>>
>> Very good!
>>
>> Hans, will the default be default in next beta? :)
>
> no, but there will be different settings ... the problem with fractions and radicals and their mixing is that we have to (somehow) deal with unpredictable math styles (and esp in radicals there are fuzzy concepts like 'the surrounding style is used' while inside a different one is used (all a side effect of parsing first and generating next)
	the way I look at it one should the use a look forward parsing and clean up or look backward.
	or look backward. It depends how much of the parse tree you keep before generating an entity!