For those who are interested, I've finally solved my problem (the vertical space before a subsection which was not automatically swallowed at the top of a page when the page started with an empty section) by using the pair 'after={\vskip 0em\blank[disable]}' for sections: \setuphead [section] [placehead=empty, page=yes, after={\vskip 0em\blank[disable]}] \setuphead [subsection] [placehead=yes, before={\blank[line]}, after={\blank[line]}] \setupheadertexts[section] \showframe \starttext \completecontent \dorecurse{2} {\section{My section} \dorecurse{2} {\subsection{My subsection} \input knuth}} \stoptext