* Symbol Footnote Command
@ 2019-12-23 13:21 Aykut Aykutt
From: Aykut Aykutt @ 2019-12-23 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I can change the mark of the second footnote from "2" to asterix by
defining a conversion like so:

%-- Working example, but it is not what I need --
\setupindenting[yes,small]
\defineconversion[mymix][1,\m{*},2]
\setupnotation[footnote][align={hz,hanging},indenting={yes,small,next},numberconversion=mymix]

\startdocument
This is the first sentence with a footnote.\footnote{This is the first
footnote and its mark is "1".}
This is the second sentence with a footnote.\footnote{This is the second
footnote and its mark is "*". }
This is the third sentence with a footnote.\footnote{This is the third
footnote and its mark is "2". }
\stopdocument

Clearly this conversion repeats the marks "1", "*" and "2" repeatedly. Is
there a way to define a new/special footnote command (say, "\symfootnote")
which blends with normal footnotes, but prints footnotes with symbol marks
(say, Set 2) and not with numbers. In other words, is it possible to
achieve the same result as the working example above with something like
the (pseudo) example below?

%--  Pseudo example --

\setupindenting[yes,small]
\def\symfootenote ??????????
\setupnotation[symfootnote][align={hz,hanging},indenting={yes,small,next}]
\setupnotation[footnote][align={hz,hanging},indenting={yes,small,next}]

\startdocument
This is the first sentence with a footnote.\footnote{This is the first
footnote and its mark is "1".}
This is the second sentence with a footnote.\symfootnote{This is the second
footnote and its mark is "*". }
This is the third sentence with a footnote.\footnote{This is the third
footnote and its mark is "2". }
\stopdocument

Thank you.

* Re: Symbol Footnote Command
@ 2019-12-23 14:12 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-12-23 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/23/2019 2:21 PM, Aykut Aykutt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can change the mark of the second footnote from "2" to asterix by
> defining a conversion like so:
>
>     %-- Working example, but it is not what I need --
>     \setupindenting[yes,small]
>     \defineconversion[mymix][1,\m{*},2]
>     \setupnotation[footnote][align={hz,hanging},indenting={yes,small,next},numberconversion=mymix]
>
>     \startdocument
>     This is the first sentence with a footnote.\footnote{This is the
>     first footnote and its mark is "1".}
>     This is the second sentence with a footnote.\footnote{This is the
>     second footnote and its mark is "*". }
>     This is the third sentence with a footnote.\footnote{This is the
>     third footnote and its mark is "2". }
>     \stopdocument
>
> Clearly this conversion repeats the marks "1", "*" and "2" repeatedly.
> Is there a way to define a new/special footnote command (say,
> "\symfootnote") which blends with normal footnotes, but prints footnotes
> with symbol marks (say, Set 2) and not with numbers. In other words, is
> it possible to achieve the same result as the working example above with
> something like the (pseudo) example below?
>
>     %--  Pseudo example --
>
>     \setupindenting[yes,small]
>     \def\symfootenote ??????????
>     \setupnotation[symfootnote][align={hz,hanging},indenting={yes,small,next}]
>     \setupnotation[footnote][align={hz,hanging},indenting={yes,small,next}]
>
>     \startdocument
>     This is the first sentence with a footnote.\footnote{This is the
>     first footnote and its mark is "1".}
>     This is the second sentence with a footnote.\symfootnote{This is the
>     second footnote and its mark is "*". }
>     This is the third sentence with a footnote.\footnote{This is the
>     third footnote and its mark is "2". }
>     \stopdocument
>
> Thank you.
\setupindenting
   [yes,small]

\defineconversion
   [mymix]
   [a,b,c]

\definenotation
   [symfootnote]
   [footnote]
   [counter=]

\setupnotation
   [footnote]
   [align={hz,hanging},
    indenting={yes,small,next}]

\setupnotation
   [symfootnote]
   [align={hz,hanging},
    indenting={yes,small,next},
    numberconversion=mymix]

\startdocument
     This is the first sentence with a footnote.\footnote{This is the
first footnote and its mark is "1".}
     This is the second sentence with a footnote.\symfootnote{This is
the second footnote and its mark is "a". }
     This is the third sentence with a footnote.\footnote{This is the
third footnote and its mark is "2". }
     This is the second sentence with a footnote.\symfootnote{This is
the fourth footnote and its mark is "b". }
\stopdocument

* Re: Symbol Footnote Command
@ 2019-12-23 14:37   ` Aykut Aykutt
From: Aykut Aykutt @ 2019-12-23 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)