* Math fonts in TeXLive 2012
@ 2012-05-27 15:14 Tim Steenvoorden
From: Tim Steenvoorden @ 2012-05-27 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I'm testing some math fonts with ConTeXt in the current TeXLive
pretest (2012.05.25 18:21). I'm not sure which are supposed to work
with MKIV, but I found typescripts for the following ones in
type-imp-*.mkiv which are also included in TeXLive:

* Latin Modern
* Euler
* Asana
* Palatino (px)
* Times (tx)
* Utopia (mathdesign)
* Charter (mathdesign)
* Garamond (mathdesign)
* Antykwa Torunska
* Iwona
* Kurier
* Xits

Compiling the example in the attachment I found than Euler and all
Mathdesign derivatives are not working.

Does anyone know if Millenial will be supported by TeXLive 2012? Also
MKII supported Fourier (for Utopia and Schoolbook). What is the status
of this font in MKIV?

Cheers,
Tim

P.S. Euler is working in the 2012.05.26 16:40 Standalone version.

[-- Attachment #2: fonts.tex --]

* Re: Math fonts in TeXLive 2012
@ 2012-05-28  8:58 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-05-28  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Tim Steenvoorden wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm testing some math fonts with ConTeXt in the current TeXLive
> pretest (2012.05.25 18:21). I'm not sure which are supposed to work
> with MKIV, but I found typescripts for the following ones in
> type-imp-*.mkiv which are also included in TeXLive:
>
> * Latin Modern
> * Euler
> * Asana
> * Palatino (px)
> * Times (tx)
> * Utopia (mathdesign)
> * Charter (mathdesign)
> * Garamond (mathdesign)
> * Antykwa Torunska
> * Iwona
> * Kurier
> * Xits
>
> Compiling the example in the attachment I found than Euler and all
> Mathdesign derivatives are not working.

Not working in what sense? That you don't get the font or that you
requested or that you get wrong output? (I never tried to use
Mathdesign in ConTeXt, I actually didn't notice that it was even
supported.)

> Does anyone know if Millenial will be supported by TeXLive 2012?

I don't find the font on CTAN. I guess that would be the main requirement.

> Also
> MKII supported Fourier (for Utopia and Schoolbook). What is the status
> of this font in MKIV?

I leave that question to others.

> P.S. Euler is working in the 2012.05.26 16:40 Standalone version.

The version of ConTeXt in TeX Live is almost the same as in minimals
(ok, I didn't check in the version from 26th because I was away for
the weekend, if the difference is actually in that version), but I
somehow suspect that the font (euler.otf) is missing on CTAN and in
TeX Live. Something for Khaled to answer. The font is also being used
in Maps and ConTeXt Proceedings, so it would actually be very nice if
the font was present in TL. (I find it strange enough that I didn't
notice that when playing with ConTeXt Proceedings, but it may be that
I was simply using the ConTeXt Distribution or failed to realize that
I got the wrong font.)

Thank you very much for spotting these.

Mojca

* Re: Math fonts in TeXLive 2012
@ 2012-05-28  9:04   ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2012-05-28  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 10:58:27AM +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Tim Steenvoorden wrote:
> > P.S. Euler is working in the 2012.05.26 16:40 Standalone version.
>
> The version of ConTeXt in TeX Live is almost the same as in minimals
> (ok, I didn't check in the version from 26th because I was away for
> the weekend, if the difference is actually in that version), but I
> somehow suspect that the font (euler.otf) is missing on CTAN and in
> TeX Live. Something for Khaled to answer. The font is also being used
> in Maps and ConTeXt Proceedings, so it would actually be very nice if
> the font was present in TL.

The font was never done and I'm not very happy with its current state
(it was my first attempt at an OpenType math font, now that I learnt
much I want to redo it), there were never any releases and thus no
upload to CTAN.

Regards,
 Khaled

* Re: Math fonts in TeXLive 2012
@ 2012-05-28  9:19 ` Mojca Miklavec
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-05-28  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Another weird observation: Kurier is not working at all.

Plus, Asana-Math and Xits are not installed as part of ConTeXt scheme.
Should I add them? (It's size is 0.5 + 1.5 MB while in tar.xz.)

Hans, maybe you could add Tim's example into your testsuite (but each
math font should be surrounded with \bgroup...\egroup or start/stop).

Mojca

@ 2012-05-28  9:33   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-05-28  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Another weird observation: Kurier is not working at all.
>
> Plus, Asana-Math and Xits are not installed as part of ConTeXt scheme.
> Should I add them? (It's size is 0.5 + 1.5 MB while in tar.xz.)
Hm not sure to follow you here

By default I've xits both in texlive pretest
texlive/2012/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/xits
texlive/2012/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/xits/xits-bold.otf
texlive/2012/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/xits/xits-bolditalic.otf
texlive/2012/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/xits/xits-italic.otf
texlive/2012/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/xits/xits-math.otf
texlive/2012/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/xits/xits-mathbold.otf
texlive/2012/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/xits/xits-regular.otf

and in mkiv under
tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/xits

Asana-math is in texlive, but not in mkiv -- I don't know why.
License seems to be ok.

--
luigi

* Re: Math fonts in TeXLive 2012
@ 2012-05-28  9:36     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-05-28  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 11:33 AM, luigi scarso wrote:
> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Mojca Miklavec
> <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another weird observation: Kurier is not working at all.
>>
>> Plus, Asana-Math and Xits are not installed as part of ConTeXt scheme.
>> Should I add them? (It's size is 0.5 + 1.5 MB while in tar.xz.)
> Hm not sure to follow you here
>
> By default I've xits both in texlive pretest
> texlive/2012/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/xits

Did you install ConTeXt scheme or something else? I had to install
both of them manually after installing ConTeXt scheme. Of course you
get them if you install the full scheme or some other
collection/package.

Mojca

* Re: Math fonts in TeXLive 2012
@ 2012-05-28  9:43       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-05-28  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 11:33 AM, luigi scarso wrote:
>> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Mojca Miklavec
>> <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Another weird observation: Kurier is not working at all.
>>>
>>> Plus, Asana-Math and Xits are not installed as part of ConTeXt scheme.
>>> Should I add them? (It's size is 0.5 + 1.5 MB while in tar.xz.)
>> Hm not sure to follow you here
>>
>> By default I've xits both in texlive pretest
>> texlive/2012/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/xits
>
> Did you install ConTeXt scheme or something else? I had to install
> both of them manually after installing ConTeXt scheme. Of course you
> get them if you install the full scheme or some other
> collection/package.
Ah ok, full scheme ---  the most common installation, I suppose.

--
luigi

* Re: Math fonts in TeXLive 2012
@ 2012-05-28 16:21   ` Marco Pessotto
From: Marco Pessotto @ 2012-05-28 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Mojca Miklavec

Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> writes:

> Another weird observation: Kurier is not working at all.
>
> Plus, Asana-Math and Xits are not installed as part of ConTeXt scheme.
> Should I add them? (It's size is 0.5 + 1.5 MB while in tar.xz.)

If you feel like adding some packages to the ConTeXt scheme, I'd
strongly suggest libertineotf. It's one of the best free font around (I
believe it's not by chance that they were used on Fonts in ConTeXt and
Layouts in ConTeXt), its coverage is *huge* and the typescript is
included in the core. It increases the installation size by a 8 MB (I
think it's worth of). Ok, not a big deal, because it can be installed,
but just my two cents (the same goes ever for the Minimals,
anyway... not a big deal but nice to have).

--
Marco

* Re: Math fonts in TeXLive 2012
@ 2012-05-28 19:27   ` Tim Steenvoorden
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Tim Steenvoorden @ 2012-05-28 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mojca and Khaled,

You're right about Kurier, I've overlooked it. Asana is also not
installed with Standalone.

I've always found it regrettable Fourier is not longer supported in
MKIV, so I hoped Utopia+Mathdesign would be a nice replacement. There
are typescripts for Mathdesign+{Utopia,Charter,Garamond}, but both the
roman font and the math font are not loaded.

Shouldn't we have to support the Type1 version of Euler in TeXLive if
the OTF version won't be included? I missed Fourier but maybe others
will mis Euler when they switch to MKIV.

Regards,
Tim

@ 2012-05-28 19:44     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-05-28 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28-5-2012 21:27, Tim Steenvoorden wrote:

> I've always found it regrettable Fourier is not longer supported in
> MKIV, so I hoped Utopia+Mathdesign would be a nice replacement. There
> are typescripts for Mathdesign+{Utopia,Charter,Garamond}, but both the
> roman font and the math font are not loaded.

you only have to make a fourier.lfg file (like px.lfg) .. .actually
there is a fourier-math.lfg file but probably no one used/checked it

> Shouldn't we have to support the Type1 version of Euler in TeXLive if
> the OTF version won't be included? I missed Fourier but maybe others
> will mis Euler when they switch to MKIV.

euler is a limited set and can therefore only be used in combination
with another math font .. that can be set up with lfg files

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-05-28 19:55     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-05-28 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 9:27 PM, Tim Steenvoorden wrote:
> Hi Mojca and Khaled,
>
> You're right about Kurier,

This should be fixed for TL (and is most probably easy to do).

> I've overlooked it. Asana is also not
> installed with Standalone.

It can be installed with
   --fonts=Asana-Math
but I'll rewrite some of that code to do font selection.

> I've always found it regrettable Fourier is not longer supported in
> MKIV, so I hoped Utopia+Mathdesign would be a nice replacement. There
> are typescripts for Mathdesign+{Utopia,Charter,Garamond}, but both the
> roman font and the math font are not loaded.

I believe that it has just never been properly implemented and tested
(which doesn't mean that it couldn't be).

> Shouldn't we have to support the Type1 version of Euler in TeXLive if
> the OTF version won't be included? I missed Fourier but maybe others
> will mis Euler when they switch to MKIV.

Euler is also used in the magazine ... but of course it is up to
Khaled if he doesn't want to include the font. Khaled - would you at
least be ready to offer tar.xz file (one sufficient for direct
installation into TL) or put it into tlcontrib?

I would find it hard to tell whether MKIV should fall back to Type1
Euler or not, but I'm not sure that the sole lack of font in
distribution justifies this fallback. Even if the font is not perfect,
I don't see any reason why it couldn't be in TeX Live, even if with a
big warning that the metrics might change in future.

Mojca

* Re: Math fonts in TeXLive 2012
@ 2012-05-28 20:07     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-05-28 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Shouldn't we have to support the Type1 version of Euler in TeXLive if
> the OTF version won't be included? I missed Fourier but maybe others
> will mis Euler when they switch to MKIV.

Having a font as part of the distro is a convinience, but normally, I just
add (or git clone or svn checkout) the fonts that I use in

$HOME/texmf/fonts/opentype/

and sync $HOME/texmf across computers with dropbox. So, it is not a big
deal if a font is not part of TL.

Aditya

* Re: Math fonts in TeXLive 2012
@ 2012-05-29  4:30   ` Stephen Hartke
From: Stephen Hartke @ 2012-05-29  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Tim Steenvoorden wrote:
> > Does anyone know if Millenial will be supported by TeXLive 2012?

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 3:58 AM, Mojca Miklavec <
mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't find the font on CTAN. I guess that would be the main requirement.

I hope to submit Millennial to CTAN this summer, but it probably won't be
for another month or so.  There's still several things to fix, and it would
be nice to have some documentation.  However, I wouldn't be opposed to the
initial public release from 20110819 being used in TeXLive2012.

Best wishes,
Stephen

* Re: Math fonts in TeXLive 2012
@ 2012-05-29 12:15       ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2012-05-29 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 09:55:49PM +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Euler is also used in the magazine ... but of course it is up to
> Khaled if he doesn't want to include the font. Khaled - would you at
> least be ready to offer tar.xz file (one sufficient for direct
> installation into TL) or put it into tlcontrib?

I don't feel like encouraging people to use it, but feel free to pull it
from git and package it if you really want to do so.

Regards,
 Khaled