* Continuous chapter numbering without prefixes in documents with parts
@ 2011-07-01 13:02 Julian Becker
From: Julian Becker @ 2011-07-01 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anybody know how to implement a continuous numbering of chapters in
documents with several parts?

More specifically: how can I achieve the following numbering scheme (with
unprefixed chapter numbers):
I First part
1 Chapter one
2 Chapter two
II Second part
3 Chapter three

I tried (unsuccessfully) the following:

\setuphead[part][placehead=yes]
\starttext
\part{First part}
\chapter{Chapter one}
\chapter{Chapter two}
\part{Second part}
\chapter{Chapter three}
\stoptext

The here result is something like:
First part
1.1 Chapter one
1.2 Chapter two
Second part
2.1 Chapter three

I tried to get rid of the chapter prefixes by putting
\setuphead[chapter][prefix=no]
but that had no effect whatsoever.

Any ideas?

Julian

* Re: Continuous chapter numbering without prefixes in documents with parts
@ 2011-07-01 13:16 ` Thomas Schmitz
From: Thomas Schmitz @ 2011-07-01 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 15:02:22 +0200
  Julian Becker <becker.julian@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anybody know how to implement a continuous
>numbering of chapters in
> documents with several parts?
>
> More specifically: how can I achieve the following
>numbering scheme (with
> unprefixed chapter numbers):
> I First part
> 1 Chapter one
> 2 Chapter two
> II Second part
> 3 Chapter three
>

> I tried (unsuccessfully) the following:
>
> \setuphead[part][placehead=yes]
> \starttext
> \part{First part}
> \chapter{Chapter one}
> \chapter{Chapter two}
> \part{Second part}
> \chapter{Chapter three}
> \stoptext
>
> The here result is something like:
>First part
> 1.1 Chapter one
> 1.2 Chapter two
> Second part
> 2.1 Chapter three
>

> I tried to get rid of the chapter prefixes by putting
> \setuphead[chapter][prefix=no]
> but that had no effect whatsoever.
>
> Any ideas?

Yes: search the list; the same question was asked three
weeks ago, together with a solution:
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20110619.234245.2e8ee926.en.html

Thomas

* Re: Continuous chapter numbering without prefixes in documents with parts
@ 2011-07-01 13:33   ` Julian Becker
From: Julian Becker @ 2011-07-01 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you Thomas, and sorry for not having performed a proper search
priorly.
Still, the thread you refered me to only provides half of what I need (if I
didn't miss anything):

I added the line:
\setuphead[chapter][chaptersegments=chapter]
which indeed got rid of the chapter number prefix.
Still,  the chapter numbering gets reset in each new part. How can I avoid
that?

Julian

@ 2011-07-01 14:14     ` Thomas Schmitz
From: Thomas Schmitz @ 2011-07-01 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 15:33:07 +0200
  Julian Becker <becker.julian@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you Thomas, and sorry for not having performed a
>proper search
> priorly.
> Still, the thread you refered me to only provides half
>of what I need (if I
> didn't miss anything):
>
> I added the line:
> \setuphead[chapter][chaptersegments=chapter]
> which indeed got rid of the chapter number prefix.
> Still,  the chapter numbering gets reset in each new
>part. How can I avoid
> that?

Excuse me for sounding a bit grumpy, but please make
complete minimal examples. Which means they should be
compilable, see
http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/mini-en.html. Here is one
such example which does what you want (and this solution
could also be found in the list archive):

\definestructureresetset[default][0,0][1]

\setuphead[part][sectionresetset=default]

\setuphead[part][placehead=yes]

\setuphead[chapter][sectionsegments=chapter,ownnumber=yes]

\starttext

\startpart[title=First part]
\startchapter[title=Chapter one]
\input tufte
\stopchapter
\startchapter[title=Chapter two]
\input tufte
\stopchapter
\stoppart
\startpart[title=Second part]
\startchapter[title=Chapter three]
\input tufte
\stopchapter
\startchapter[title=Chapter four]
\input tufte
\stopchapter
\stoppart
\stoptext

Thomas

* Re: Continuous chapter numbering without prefixes in documents with parts
@ 2011-07-07  8:12       ` Julian Becker
From: Julian Becker @ 2011-07-07  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)