Dear Wolfgang, Thank you very much. This is very helpful. One note is that to center the footer required \setupletterframe[foot][align=middle] (NOT \setupletterlayer. Per http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Letter#Setup) A couple more questions. (1) is there a more efficient way to indent only the content of the letter: \setupindenting[yes,small] \setuplettersection[opening][indenting=no] \setuplettersection[subject][indenting=no] \setuplettersection[closing][indenting=no] \setuplettersection[signature][indenting=no] (2) The following did not properly left-justify the date (the date was towards the left but was not perfectly aligned with the other left-justified text): \setupletterlayer[reference][alternative=e] Thank you again. Best, Michael On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Wolfgang Schuster < schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote: > > Am 15.07.2013 um 18:34 schrieb Michael Ash : > > Dear all, > > (This is a repeat post. I apologize if that's rude, but I would appreciate > some assistance with the letter module or a pointer to documentation. > Thanks.) > > > I am using the letter module that came with context. A sample of a basic > letter is below; I have put in "dummy" for the logo and the signature, but > these are working fine when I include the files. > > I have several questions: > > 1. to center the footer. > > You can use the align key but you have to use a valid value, e.g. middle. > > \setupletterlayer[foot][align=middle] > > > 1. to lower the footer (closer to the bottom of the page) > > You can control the distance between the margins and the footer block with > the x and y keys for \setupletterlayer. > > \setupletterlayer[foot][y=10pt] > > > 1. to delete the word "Date" above the date. > > There is no key for \setupletterstyle etc. to disable/enable the label but > you can clear the label text. > > \setuplettertext[en][date=] > > > 1. to put the date *above *the recipient address (and how in general > do I adjust the vertical space here). > > Move the layer up with the \setupletterlayer command. > > \setupletterlayer[reference][y=4cm] > > > 1. to left-justify the date. > > When you want only the date in the reference line without the label use > alternative “e” (you don’t even have to clear the label because it isn’t > used). > > \setupletterlayer[reference][alternative=e] > > \setupletter[reference=\currentdate] > > > 1. to control the foldmarks (for US-letter-size paper, omit, etc.) > > You can disable the marks with \setupletteroptions[marking=no], the > position can be changed with \setupletterlayer[topmark][y=7cm] > and \setupletterlayer[topmark][y=14cm]. > > I have consulted http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Letter but there are many > things I don't understand. What is the meaning of "alternative=example"; > > > With the alternative key you select one of the predefined or used defined > styles for the reference, footer etc. blocks. > > what is the option "preset=" in \setuplayer[foot] ? > > > When you want to change the origin for a layer from the top left margin to > the bottom left you have to change the value of the location and corner > keys. As there are few often used combination for the four corners Hans > predefined the with the \definelayerpreset command. These predefined setups > can be loaded with the preset key which saves some typing. Below is a short > example where I set first the arguments myself and later use the predefined > setups. > > \definelayer[test][width=\textwidth,height=\textheight] > > \starttext > > \setlayer[test][corner={left,top},location={right,bottom}]{LT 1} > > \setlayer[test][corner={right,top},location={left,bottom}]{RT 1} > > \setlayer[test][corner={left,bottom},location={right,top}]{LB 1} > > \setlayer[test][corner={right,bottom},location={left,top}]{RB 1} > > \flushlayer[test] > > \setlayer[test][preset=lefttop]{LT 2} > > \setlayer[test][preset=righttop]{RT 2} > > \setlayer[test][preset=leftbottom]{LB 2} > > \setlayer[test][preset=rightbottom]{RB 2} > > \flushlayer[test] > > \stoptext > > > Also is there a better way to manage color? I \definecolor, \startcolor, > \stopcolor, but maybe there is a better way to indicate that certain > sections of the letter should be in a color. Thanks. > > > All block elements provide color and style keys which can be used to set > the font and color for them, e.g. > \setupletterlayer[foot][color=blue,style=sans]. > > Wolfgang > > -- Michael Ash, Chair, Department of Economics Professor of Economics and Public Policy University of Massachusetts Amherst Amherst, MA 01003 Email mash@econs.umass.edu Tel +1-413-545-2590 Twitter https://twitter.com/michaelaoash